Thursday, July 03, 2014

I still haven't run out of scraps

I've been working on rearranging my sewing room this week (what a task THAT is! I still have a long way to go....) and I've found little bits of time here and there to finish up some small scrap projects. It feels soooo good to get back to my 101 scrap challenge! It's been almost a year since I started it and it's been most enjoyable.
I made these cute little pin cushions from the leftover corner pieces of my scrappy divided basket. They were already quilted and I couldn't image throwing them away, so they became little pin cushions instead. I LOVE them! They are scrap project #76.
This zip pouch was made from leftover quilted panels from my big tote bag I made last spring. I added a fun little print for lining and bright green zipper ends for a punch of color. My son loves and it and he may claim it for himself if I let him. (That always feels good!) I love it, too. It's little...5" x 6"....and it's scrap project #77.
I received that adorable little print (top) from my friend Melinda in a scrap gift package a few years ago and I've been hoarding it (fiercely) until now. I figured it would make a cute zip pouch, and it's WONDERFUL to have it finally sewn up. I am 100% happy with how it came together. (Proportions can be tricky on a zip pouch sometimes.) My only regret is that I don't have a crazy mom quilts label on the front of it! I suppose I could always add one later....if I'd ever get around to ordering some. This is scrap project # 78.
Since the previous 2 zip pouches came out so well, I figured I'd keep going. On this one the leaf fabric was a scrap that was generously given to me by a friend. Again, I immediately thought "zip pouch", so I went with it. I love how this one turned out as well! I usually quilt my pouches to minimize the need for interfacing, but if you use the right interfacing, things actually come together quite nicely! Who knew?!?! :) And it's quite a bit quicker than quilting the panels. This is scrap project # 79. (this one could use a label, too!)
Last summer my son did some improv piecing and was going to make a full quilt, but didn't have attention span to do so yet. So...I turned his block into a placemat instead. I'm sure he will get a lot of use out of it in this form. (This one has been done for awhile....I found it again while cleaning this week and realized I hadn't blogged it yet!) It is scrap project # 80!
This is another reason that sewing around here has been hit and miss. The weather has been IDEAL the past few days. There are a LOT of fish to catch in that lake! :) My husband likes to tease me about my fishing 'sickness'. I still contend there are worse things!

24 comments:

Granny Maud's Girl said...

I love all your scrap projects. Now I am curious how many times you have had to pop to the shops to buy zippers for them! I have selected a pile of scraps and now need to go do just that.

Suzanne said...

I desperately want to sneak I to your house and steal that pouch with the lady bug on it. I am constantly blown away by your resourcefulness. I can't believe how often you make leftovers turn gourmet.

Daytona Damsel said...

Love your scrap projects, especially the little pouches. I can't do zippers so I will have to forgo making them :(
Keep up the good work and go catch fish.

Sarah Craig said...

Such beautiful scrap projects! It makes me wish I had more time to do small sewing projects- but it seems the big ones are keeping me busy right now. Keep up the good work!

Mary Marcotte said...

Love the idea of ongoing scrap projects. Those pouches are just so cute. I haven't made pouches in a while so maybe it's time. Thanks for the reminder of how cute and useful they can be.

Jeneta said...

Oh you have done a lot! I think I'd be fishing whenever I could too, and I'm not into fishing at all!! You must absolutely order some labels. Kati at From the Blue Chair ordered hers from here:
http://www.fromthebluechair.com/2014/05/new-quilt-labels.html
I think they look great!

Pam said...

I just love scrappy projects! Very cute! I enjoy them in between my larger projects!!

Lee D said...

Great scrappy projects. What do you fill your pin cushions with?

Vicki said...

Great scrappy goodness! Such inspiration as to how to use ones scraps.

Quilting Stories said...

All adorable things! Love love love!!!

Knitwitsowls said...

I thought the pin cushions were Barbie pillows at first!
Frankie
http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

Cute scrap projects. Love the 'red' zip pouches. Your son's placement is so colourful

roberta mill said...

great work! go for those labels. I'm glad you can get away to fish-enjoy.

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Your scrappy projects are "reeling me in"! Go fish!

Ruth said...

I attended a trunk show given by a quilter over the age of 80 and she said don't worry, you never run out of scraps - the scrap pile gets bigger and the older scraps just keep getting smaller!

Sue @ Quilting the Green Star said...

I so wish my scraps looked like yours! I love the little bags too.

Mary Huey said...

Cute zip pouches -- I should make some of those to whittle down my scraps. I did a fistful of potholders this spring to freshen up my kitchen!

Anonymous said...

Your scrappy projects this year have been so inspiring. It is hard to prioritize. I have two quilts in progress right now but one just needs the binding sewn to the back and I am FMQ-ing the other now. Maybe after that I can play with some scrappy projects. Is the lake close by to you? So pretty.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I've really enjoyed seeing the scrappy projects come to life, but I also see why you'd want to be outdoors. The water looks so inviting and beautiful. Great photo.

Unknown said...

Love the scrappy zip pouches! I would love to know what pattern you used?

Timi said...

So many great ideas for scraps!!!
Thank you!

charlotte said...

So shat happens when you get to 101 and you still have scraps?

NV said...

I think it's great that you both quilt and fish - me too! Post some fish photos sometime. :-)

Unknown said...

Love the leaf print you used on project #79. Do you remember what the fabric is? Thanks!