Monday, July 21, 2014

lawn pillow cases

Over the weekend I sewed up a few cotton lawn pillow cases. They are luscious! The scraps were leftover from this quilt. Looking back I see that they have been sitting around two years. Gulp!
They are incredibly soft and they feel so fancy! Last month when I was on retreat, Jeni Baker mentioned that she made some pillowcases out of voile fabric, so I credit inspiration to her. I would not have thought to use such fine fabric for pillowcases, but what a great idea! Thank you, Jeni!
I added a thin flange of jade Kona cotton to separate the two busy prints on this one. It is a little detail that made a big difference. I used French seams throughout, so all raw edges are enclosed. (That took some extra brain power, especially with the flange part....but that's a good thing!) These are big scraps, but they are scraps nonetheless, so I'm counting them as scrap project #81/101.
One more little scrap project....a sunglasses sleeve. There is no need for a closure or anything, because my sunglasses friction fit inside. The sleeve is quilted and lined, so it will protect the lenses from scratches and that's all I'm after. I love having cute and functional patchwork all over the place. It's pretty much the best! This is scrap project # 82!

My sweet friend Suzanne set up a pinterest board for my 101 scrap projects, so if you want to see them all together so far, you can visit the page here. (It's fun to see them all in one place. Thanks Suzanne!)

Happy Monday to you!
 

23 comments:

Maggie said...

They're gorgeous. What a great idea! X

Sweet bamboo said...

Love them!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Great idea and they are so pretty! Nice glasses case too, I made one last year and it's still going strong!

Di~ said...

LOVE those pillowcases and the glasses holder. So fun.

Linda said...

Beautiful!

Could you please show how you did the french seams on the flange part. That has me stumped. Thanks.

Linda

Suzanne said...

We make our pillowcases very similarly. French seams and flanges make a really nice touch. I bet that lawn fabric feels cool as a cucumber on a summer night.

Susan C. said...

They are beautiful, and I am getting excited about your countdown weirdly....maybe because one day I will count off my scraps into useful projects...instead of keeping baskets warm and corners full. Keep going!!!

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

I'm with Susan: cheering you on from the sidelines. I haven't been tackling my scraps of late, but I've focused on neglected fats and half-yards that have been hanging around too long. Using something currently overlooked to make something useful never gets old.

Linda said...

Pretty pillowcases. I thought of you and how you were wanting to make pillowcases just yesterday while I was sewing. I was using a cotton that I thought would be pretty for pillowcases. :) We must have been on the same wavelength!

Nana said...

Love the pillow cases and your drive to reduce the scraps with so many projects. I need all this encouragement. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Perfect idea for a pillow case! Now if only I had some lawn scraps laying around . . . Take care, Pam

Sherry said...

So pretty! You are always so productive! Seems by the time I get housework, laundry, watering flowers, changing hummingbird feeders, meals/dishes done - not much time for sewing! Wish you could send me some of your energy! LOL

Unknown said...

What a FUN pinterest board. :) Love making pillowcases and using them...the simple pleasures!

nest full of eggs said...

Those pillow cases are so pretty!

C. Jaeger said...

I love your glasses case. I was just thinking I need a case for my readers. Super cute!

cedacanthus said...

These are beautiful, they must be luxurious to sleep on! I love that gorgeous print with the blue flowers on branches, very pretty!
And that is so sweet of Suzanne to collate all your posts like that! So handy and it must have taken quite a bit of time!

Sharon said...

Such pretty pillowcases!
The glasses case looks like a fun project. Love it!

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

Both of these projects are great, but now I think I NEED to make some lawn pillow cases!! I bet they are so dreamy :)
Amanda

Kay said...

Gorgeous pillow cases, they look so soft and lovely. x

Pamela Neal said...

I love your pillow cases...so pretty and what a great way to use up your scraps! Now I need to find some pretty lawn fabric for my own ; )

charlotte said...

Love those pillow cases. What a great idea. I have some Good Folks voile I have been trying to find a use for. Maybe this is it!

Beccy said...

Beautiful, and I love the little detail that seperates the cuff from the body. I love the colors!

Martha said...

This is SO adorably SWEET!