Then it was on to basting and quilting. For the quilting, I did a simple stipple in khaki thread. Thankfully, it all went smoothly. This red fabric on the back isn't a perfect match to the front, but I figured it was close enough. I actually liked having a darker fabric on the back. It adds a lot to the quilt.
I used a plaid fabric for the binding, which was just screaming to cut on the bias. I was a little nervous as to how top stitching the bias would work with machine binding, but I'm happy to say it went just fine and dandy. Actually, mitering the corners went much smoother than usual. What a happy surprise! I had the whole quilt done by 7 pm on Friday. I'll admit, I was pretty tired!
The quilt measures 63" x 81". I'm so glad that I finished it in time, even if my arms a little worse for the wear. :) I'm happy to say, he liked the quilt.