Tuesday, January 20, 2015

mini spiderweb measurements

Like most projects that I embark upon, this idea has been rolling around in my noggin for awhile. I love the spider web block and I made a twin sized quilt using the pattern back in 2010. Since then, I've been wanting to make another. This time I shrunk down the measurements and it turns out I love it even more when it's pint sized!
My first attempt was to start with a 5" square, but that was still too big. My second attempt, starting with a 4" square, was spot on. It's small, but not so tiny that it is ridiculous. Well, that MAY be up for debate. Ha! 
 
If you want to make one of your own (and I think you should!) here are the measurements:
Take a 4" square of paper and cut it in half on the diagonal once. One triangle will be used to make your template. The other triangle will be used for foundation piecing.
 
Make the kite template.
Take one of the paper half square triangles and make the following measurements:
1. Draw a line perpendicular to the bottom edge of the paper that intersects with the top point of the paper.
2. Draw a parallel line 1/4" from the bottom of the paper.
3. From the top point, measure and mark 1 1/4" down on each side of the paper.
4. From the X, mark 1/4" to the left and 1/4" to the right.
5. Connect the top marks and the bottom marks to form a kite shape.
Cut on the two angled lines and discard the triangles. The kite shape is the center template. You will use this template to trace and cut fabric pieces. (I used white fabric for the kites in the quilt shown.) If you plan to make a bunch, you may want to trace it unto a piece of cardboard or template plastic, because it will hold up much longer than a single piece of paper. 
 
Trace and cut a few fabric kite pieces.
Take the remaining paper half square triangle, and glue one fabric kite onto it.
 
For the block assembly, I used the same steps as shown in this tutorial. Most of the strips I used are about 1" wide. Some of these scraps are teeny-tiny!
This is what I've got so far. I'm having SO much fun with it!!! I have no idea how big I will make it, I'm just going to see where it takes me. That's the best part!

30 comments:

Mary said...

These blocks are awesome! What size does the whole block wind up being?

Mary said...

Okay, duh, I went back up and saw the tape measure. Thanks so much for the measurements. I'm going to have to try this!

Unknown said...

You always work the brightest, happiest scraps! Vibrant!

Linda said...

Lovely and creative.

Marie said...

I love this pattern too and making it the size that you did would be great fun. Mine was a modified version with the 'kite' pieced in mostly greens with a little blue and I just love it (http://rie-quiltbee.blogspot.ca/search/label/Pumpkin%20Patch%20at%20Midnight); I called it Pumpkin Patch at Midnight. Yours would be a great size for a runner - thanks for the idea!

Diane said...

Oh my gosh I love it!! I have one block made using Bonnie's tutorial I hope I can get going in it again soon
I will stick to the bigger size blocks but your minis are soo stinkin cute!!!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

oh! so much happiness in such a small space. love these!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Donna said...

Love this, spider web quilts are my favorite, going to try it! Wish I had cheerful scraps, love your bright colors! Love how your floor turned out, great job!

stitch quilt knit said...

This is on my to do list. 4" square block would be so cute. I need to find one of those yellow cutting boards. I find it hard to cut dark fabrics on my green mat!

Jeneta said...

Okay, so when I first saw that this was...small I thought to myself "Oh, now I understand why the word crazy is in her blog name!". But after reading your tutorial I am going to join you in your 'craziness'. I love it! And want to add another wip to my pile!!!

Mama Spark said...

Genius! I have been looking for a new leader and ender project and you have provided one. I have always loved these blocks and this will make a great scrap buster!!! This needs to go in your new book!!!!

Olivia said...

thanks!

Aliceart said...

LOVE THIS! Thank you so much for sharing the "how to"! I can't wait to try this.

Kreahygge said...

Spot on as always, Amanda!! Can't stop making them ;-) Thanks for your tutorial!!

Tinliz said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I have a lot of skinny strips that will work for this. Think I will give it a try as a leader ender.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I love how this looks. Never thought of scaling a spiderweb down. What size does the finished block end up being? (four triangles)

Marle said...

I like this scrap very much and I have done the same quilt last year. I suppose my block was bigger. Go and see it http://marletekee.blogspot.fi/2014/11/be-happy.html

Anonymous said...

So pretty! Your scraps are always such fun colors and prints. Love the spiderweb pattern, I'll have to remember this when I accumulate enough scraps! :)

Unknown said...

This is so nice!

Kelly Cline said...

Oh I love tiny!

LONA said...

Oh yeah! I want to do this! Thanks!

lfrihart said...

You are so kind to share this pattern. Teeny is so precious and just hope I can do it justice.

Thanks for being so generous.

Amy said...

Love this! I was just cutting scraps the other night. I may have to pull some of the small stuff out of the trash.

Staci said...

LOVE Scrappy Webs! This will be brilliant!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial, I love this and I am definitely going to give it a go.

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh it's gorgeous - and mind bogglingly tiny too!!

Sew Stitching Cute said...

Looking pretty flipping awesome so far! Not sure how I have not discovered this block before, but I love it! Thanks for the sharing the smaller size measurements! Can't wait to see what becomes of this!

Carla said...

I just finished piecing huge 22" blocks spiderweb blocks so this would be really fun to play with! I wonder how it would work as a leader/ender project? Thanks for giving the dimensions you are using.

leanne said...

that mini spiderweb is so adorable ! you are so amazing and a daily inspiration - thanks :) and thanks for the tutorial !

Linda said...

OOOH! Not sure how I missed this post, but I'm LOVING this. I was just looking at my blue spiderweb quilt the other day and thinking about starting another. I love the idea of the mini blocks! I think my blue one had 8 inch blocks to start, so the 5 inch would be just too cute!