What I did:
Using the quilt top as my guide, I drew up templates for the two different blocks. I added 2" to the width of each block so there will be plenty of white space to work with. It also creates a faux border, if you will. The top and bottom of the quilt will require yet another template (with an additional 2" added for a border) in order to make those sides straight. The corners will probably need special treatment as well. Phew!
The top two setting blocks in the photo above still have the card stock inside. The bottom two have already had the card stock removed. (Thus the wrinkles!)
Many thanks to my friend Mary for helping me figure out how to get the sides straight. She was patient enough to talk through it with me....a few times. (I have a thick head!) Thanks Mary!
Here's a little behind the scenes peek at my "work space". It's a messy endeavor fueled by plenty of chocolate!
Happy Monday to you!