Monday, May 12, 2014

working toward a finish

Over the weekend I started to add "borders" (if you can call them that) onto my 'oh my stars' quilt.
My goal is to add setting blocks in order to straighten out the sides. I want to be able to add binding to the quilt without chopping off any star points.

What I did:

Using the quilt top as my guide, I drew up templates for the two different blocks. I added 2" to the width of each block so there will be plenty of white space to work with. It also creates a faux border, if you will. The top and bottom of the quilt will require yet another template (with an additional 2" added for a border) in order to make those sides straight. The corners will probably need special treatment as well. Phew!

The top two setting blocks in the photo above still have the card stock inside. The bottom two have already had the card stock removed. (Thus the wrinkles!)
I thread basted the first few blocks, but that was quite cumbersome, especially on the larger pieces. I dug up a glue stick and tried that. It was SO much easier!! Just a quick zip of the glue stick around the perimeter and then fold the edges of the fabric down. When it was time to remove the card stock, I just ran my needle between the paper and the fabric and it came unglued easily. I could have used that trick many moons ago!
I am so excited that the borders are well on their way now! I will feel better once all the setting pieces are attached. Some of those poor stars have had plenty of stress from being handled so much.

Many thanks to my friend Mary for helping me figure out how to get the sides straight. She was patient enough to talk through it with me....a few times. (I have a thick head!) Thanks Mary!
Here's a little behind the scenes peek at my "work space". It's a messy endeavor fueled by plenty of chocolate!
 
Happy Monday to you!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just answered a big question for me! I have tried thread basting for EPP and hated it. Thought of trying the glue stick but everything I saw said to dampen with water to remove the papers. Uh no. Now, I think I will finally try this! Your quilt is beautiful and the way you are straightening the edge is genius!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful quilt! One of these days I'm going to try glue basting for doing a machine stitched binding. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

tink's mom said...

What a clever finish. Love that straight edge. Your work area is terrific including the chocolate.

Mary Huey said...

Nice finish! I did something similar to a GMFG last year but didn't think to add the border inches -- good idea!

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Genius! I'm thinking your friend Mary and I would still be talking this through and she would be pulling her hair out! :) pictures are helpful and it makes perfect sense. Love glue, used it recently for matching seams - it actually worked as well as pins!

charlotte said...

Love it. I am excited to see how this one comes out. So many stars!!!

Janet said...

Great post! I have a very similar project on the og and I have been struggling with what to do on the sides. This is perfect!! Your stars are very happy and bright :0)

teaginny said...

such a smart idea!

Suzanne said...

I ♥ aerial shots and starry progress. God bless our quilting community. We are all in it together, don't you think?

Lorna McMahon said...

I have not done any EPP. Your star quilt is going to look wonderful with that white frame before binding. Glad to see you are close to a finish!

Sue @ Quilting the Green Star said...

Thank you, that's such a useful set of tips. Chocolate is an essential thing for women, especially quilt makers but I must say I think you need a bigger bar! Thanks for sharing this.

Linda said...

This is lovely! Can't wait to see it finished. You make me want to dig out my hexis and work on them again. I bought a glue stick designed just for fabric. I tried the Elmer's one that I had on hand and found that it stuck just a little too much, (maybe I used too much?) but the fabric one was great. It's refillable, too. I got it at either Joann or Grubers I can't remember which. It also goes on blue and dries clear so you can see what has glue and what doesn't. In any case, glue basting is totally the way to go, so much easier and faster. :)

margaret said...

a lovely quilt and yes the sides will look great this way

Cheryl Arkison said...

That's insanely awesome!

DKB said...

I use the sewline glue pen for epp, I don't really care for handwork. not sure why I started to epp in the first place :)

ConGhin said...

I've read through this a couple times and I'm missing the step of how you sew the insert pieces to the stars so neatly? Are you sewing them in by hand and then removing the cardboard.
I don't do these inset type of pieces because I can't get them right. Yours look wonderful, so a little more instruction on that step would be really helpful. Thanks for sharing this beautiful quilt.

Unknown said...

Nice going! You can never have too much chocolate!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

Chocolate: essential sewing fuel!
I am still not brave enough to use glue on EPP. I should try. I know.

Aliceart said...

What a great idea! I have a quilt that I'd like to finish that way. Thank you for the good idea, and an inkling of how to go about it.

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, thanks for the inspiration -- I think I'll finish the edges of mine this way. Hahaha -- as if I'll ever get mine finished -- you're making me feel guilty though!!! ;-D

Anna said...

What a great way to finish those edges! This quilt is going to be fabulous :)

Shauna said...

Great idea using the glue stick, straightening the edges and using chocolate to the fuel the body and mind!!

Sandy said...

Here's another trick I just learned. Punch a hole in the middle of each paper pattern piece. Then you can insert a wooden skewer or cuticle stick to help the paper pattern pop out after the fabric is sewn. No more digging around the edges of the pattern.

Melissa said...

This is great! I'm working on my first EPP quilt and I was trying to figure out how i'd get the perfect 1/4" edges. Evening everything out would help me so much!!

Brenda said...

I love what you are doing with the borders (and yes, they are borders). The extra white space will be wonderful when the quilt is finished -- the stars will float on a field of white without running into the edge.

SeeMaryQuilt said...

What a great idea! I'll have to remember this when my EPP is big enough to start thinking about finishing.

cityquilter grace said...

great idea and super result...thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I can not thank you enough for this tip. I have a hexagon wip that I could not work out how to start adding edges to (it is out of control and need containing). Thank you sooo much.