Monday, May 19, 2014

to market and back again

I had the opportunity to travel to Pittsburgh last weekend to attend International Quilt Market. (It's a twice a year trade show that isn't open to the public. Spring quilt market alternates between 5 different cities. Fall quilt market is always held in Houston in conjunction with International Quilt Festival.)
It isn't easy to get away from home, especially being a mom of 3 kiddos as the school year is wrapping up. The pace of our schedule has been intense! Thankfully my husband is very supportive and helped make it happen.

Beyond THAT, it would have been so much easier to NOT attend, to stay home in my thready pajamas and put my sewing machine pedal to the metal all weekend long. But, some part of me really, really wanted to go. I persuaded the lovely and talented Anna of Noodlehead to travel and attend with me. It's more fun to go with a buddy!

I had about 3 outfits of clothing actually that fit me and they were pretty tired, so I had to go on a binge shopping spree for clothing a few days before I left. At one point I panicked when I realized my roomies (Kaye Prince, Jeni B. and Anna) were going to see me in my jammies, too. Eeeeep! Add it to the list! (Yes, I can find anything to worry about. I have an entire set of insecurities for each situation.) I finally worked all that out and made the trip to PA.
 
Do you know what? I'm so glad I went.
Do you know why? The people!!! It was beyond amazing to have face to face conversations with people I've "known" through the internet for years. Standing in this line up with all these ladies...it was surreal.

It was reassuring to hear that others experience many of the same issues that I do related to my business/blogging. It was amazing to hear other peoples stories and experiences. To laugh over dinner. To giggle with friends in the hotel room. To bounce ideas off each other. It was good!
I had the chance to stand in Jen Kingwell's booth and just take it all in. Simply breathtaking.
Jen and I had a heartfelt conversation in the space of 5 minutes. This lady is the real deal. I met her daughter and her husband, too. Such nice people! I had all kinds of warm fuzzies when I left her booth. That was one of many, many wonderful drops in the bucket.

It's really hard to capture an accurate picture of the whole of Quilt Market. It isn't all fun and games and partying. It's a lot of work, but it's very good work. I went into my trip feeling extremely intimidated. I came home very encouraged. I didn't expect that to be my takeaway, but I'm so grateful.

I'm also happy to be HOME, back to my wonderful family and back to quilting. There is so much I want to do! Always.
 
Happy Monday to you!

30 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I LOVE your lariat!

Jenny M said...

Yes, Jen is a lovely lady and her shop, Amitie, is an inspiring place to be. I live approx 50-60 min drive from the Amitie shop and wish it was closer!
Thank you for sharing your photos.

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

I love your honesty in this post, you raise points that make me nervous also to attend these events while others are doing a happy dance. I push outside my comfort zone each day and you've helped me believe this is another step I too can take. I've been following you all on Instagram and I'm thrilled for you that you enjoyed your trip :D

Carla said...

I had the privilege of going to spring market last year in Portland. It was amazing. I had a chance to visit Jen Kingwells booth too. So amazing. I'm sure that those ladies were just as excited to meet you too!

ipatchandquilt said...

Thank you for sharing! Love looking at these market postst!
Esther

Fran said...

How lovely! You like very nice there, clearly the clothes shopping was a success!

Linda said...

So glad you had a good time! Welcome home! :)

Wonky Patchwork said...

I think this is one of my favourite posts of yours that I've read, thank you!

Julie said...

I would love to do a Jen Kingwell QAL. I love her color and print sense. She's amazing! Thanks for spotlighting her.

Lorna McMahon said...

So glad to hear you had a wonderful time at market... And are happily back home again. Thanks so much for sharing these fabulous pics and your thoughts!

Marianne said...

Wonderful you had a good time!

Unknown said...

You look great! When I saw your lanyard, I had an idea -- I could make one for work. It would be nicer that the one I've had for six years with the "company" logo. I'm sure I have some scraps somewhere.

SarahZ said...

How exciting! I bet there were many folks as thrilled to meet CrazyMom!!! I know I would be! Love the lanyard...and the purse, in action! :) Welcome home!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Sounds like a good trip in many ways:)

Thimbleanna said...

It was SOOO fun to see you again! And funny that you highlighted Jen and her booth -- definitely a highlight for me too -- and I'll bet a ton of other people too!!!

Diane Swett said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time. I miss seeing you and taking your classes. I am enjoying my new home here in Newport Tennessee.

Vicki Lou said...

I love your darker hair! Seems to fit you better!

Bonnie said...

I felt the same way when I went to Padukah as a wannabe quilter 10years ago. Intimidated and inspired at the same time. So glad you had a good time.

Jade said...

This was such an awesome post. I got goosebumps reading it. I am SO happy you were able to attend. (Yay for the new wardrobe by the way!) It sounds like the market was wonderful and the company was too. You deserved this. I run the risk of sounding like a nutty stalker, but I have to say you are literally the first of three quilt bloggers I started 'following' back when I discovered the world of the quilting Blogiverse. A friend introduced me to your blog and that was it. Your daughter was just tiny back then. In case you ever doubt the effect your posts have, know that for YEARS I've looked forward to your posts popping up in my mailbox, full of inspiration. It's because of you I faced my fears and started blogging myself. So, thank you.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I totally do the same thing, the comfort of home means it's tempting to stay put! Looks like you had a fabulous time and it was fun seeing Jen's quilt, I'm hoping to start a gtsb quilt soon!

Penny said...

I follow & enjoy your blog but rarely comment because I don't have a blog but today I just have to comment! You look so pretty in pink! Truly your color!!

Susan C. said...

I too am lucky enough to be close to Jen's quilt shop and have been a visitor for many years now. Isn't it funny the connections made in the quilting world? It's great to see the talent behind the quilts and glad you took some time to laugh and connect.

Nini said...

Thanks for introducing me to Jen Kingwell, my youngest daughter lives in the state of Victoria in Australia right now, so I was excited to see that's where she's from also. Have to find out more about her! Thanks for your fun photos, gives me inspiration.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Encouraged! That's a good takeaway!

house on hill road said...

some day our paths will cross! glad you had a good time at market.

Carla said...

How fun that you got to go to Market...thanks for sharing with those of us who only got to attend through pictures!

Diane said...

Yea that you made it to market and had a fab time
I totally relate to having to get new jammies...did the same before I went on a quilt retreat a few years back. NO one but family could see me in my old comfy ones!! ha!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you came. It was so good to talk to you.

Anna said...

I'm so glad we went! Houston, right?!

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

I am so glad I met you!! I couldn't have described my own market experience better and it was much shorter than yours! Like you, I am just so grateful. It's not like me at all to set aside my fears and nerves, but I am so glad I did with the help of some encouraging friends. I wouldn't have met you and so many others, and I would have really missed out!