Monday, May 05, 2014

finish it up Monday?

Over the weekend I set myself a little goal to finish 10 small projects. My mind (and my craft room) are feeling cluttered....so I tried to power though as many things as I could. I made it to 7! I am pretty happy with that. Many of them are scrap projects, so I get double the points. Ha!
I finished up a scrappy placemat that was in progress waaaay too long. Months! I love the rounded corners and the bias binding. The awesome mug came from my friends at Modern Textiles in Fargo. It's my new favorite! This is scrap project #63/101.
When I made my first flea market fancy pillow I cut out enough squares for two. I finally finished this one up today. There is a tutorial here if you would like to make one of your own. This pattern is a great way to use mini charm packs or scraps! This is scrap project #64.
Another repeat pillow using some of my distressed fabric from last fall. I gave the first two pillows away, so it's nice to have one to live at my house. I have enough fabric to make a whole quilt in this pattern. I can't seem to get it out of my head! I can guess what I will be cutting out tonight. :) This is scrap project #65.
 This was supposed to be a thread catcher, but I turned it into a zip pouch instead. I really like it!
This is the other side. I think it turned out so cute! My husband is wondering what I will use it for, but really, does there need to be a reason? :) Actually, I think I will use it to hold charging cords for my phone and iPad. This is scrap project #66.
Last weekend when I was teaching in Duluth I swiped a few scraps from the community scrap bins. I made these two mini mats to remind me of my fun weekend and my awesome students. I love this color scheme! I wish I would have used solid red for the binding, but hindsight is always clearer. These are scrap project #67.
This isn't a scrap project, but I had a yard of this cute fabric hanging around for the past few months...I finally took a half hour to sew it up into a pillow case. I love it! It's so cheery....all it's missing is unicorns! Ha!
Again, not a scrap project, but this is a paper pieced block that will be going to some friends who are making an auction/charity quilt for a breast cancer 3 day walk. I got to use my stitch ripper on this one. A few times over! :P

So that's my 7! Not bad for a weekend (plus a Monday's worth) of sewing! Woo-hoo!
One more little project to share....I made this little needle book a few weeks ago for a friend.
The inside has a little bit of sweet briar rose. I love the combo and how it all came together. This is scrap project #68.
 
Phew! That's a lot of little projects. Feels good to get things done! Now if I could just finish some quilts....I think that's next on the agenda!
 
Happy Monday to you!

46 comments:

Unknown said...

You da woman! AGAIN! :) btw I love the binding on the busy little mats!

Mary Ellen said...

I could use a small zippered bag for an upcoming trip - and I will also use it for cords for my tablet, cell phone, etc. Is there a tutorial or pattern for this or did you just wing it?

SewPsyched! said...

Wow!!!! I adore them all! So inspiring to get in there and get some things done when all of my scraps are overwhelming ;)

Melinda said...

Wow, you really rocked it. Fabulous projects and now they are finished. I'd certainly be on cloud nine!

Sarah Craig said...

What a sweet bunch of finishes! And now I've got more things on my to-do list - I had forgotten about those great pillow covers! I must make some….

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

Wow I'm in awe ... Such pretty little projects! I bet it feels good to clear your workspace :)

Daytona Damsel said...

Love them all, especially the breast cancer block.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Good job!! Bet it feels wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Love the bra block! :)

Unknown said...

Great finishes! All are so cute and lovely. Colours are fab :-) Just love these.
(Remember to take care of yourself)

Groopie from Finland:-)

Emily Carnes said...

I remember those distressed pillows, and I can see why you want one in your own house! So gorgeous. A quilt like that would be amazing!

Emily at backtothecraft.blogspot.ca

Emily Carnes said...

I remember those distressed pillows, and I can see why you want one in your own house! So gorgeous. A quilt like that would be amazing!

Emily at backtothecraft.blogspot.ca

Vicki said...

It is ALL very sweet! Your scrap projects are the best.

beth said...

You're at 68 and it's only May. The beginning of may too! Wasn't your goal 100 for the year? Me thinks you will make it. ;)

Venus de Hilo said...

Wow, and I thought I'd done well to finish two things this past weekend! Truly impressive progress. Gotta love those small projects and fast finishes!

Vera said...

Great inspiration. I feel like I need to dust off my machine and get to work :)

ipatchandquilt said...

These are all so lovely!!! I have been working on small projects too, but they are all new.... Oops, maybe I should finish the old ones first. I should follow your lead and first do that before i go any further!
Esther

Cindy said...

Way to get rid of that clutter in your mind, and sewing room! I am doing that this week. I finished up my flimsy for the Layer Cake Sampler Quilt along, and have to wait a payday or two to buy backing and batting, so I'm going to finish up a couple of sewing projects, quilt a couple of ready to go quilts, and cut up and sort scraps, AND clean my quilting area. I'm giving myself more time than you did though.

evaj said...

Great INSPIRATION!!Hugs Bambi

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Your scrap projects are my "Top Faves of the Year 2014" and I am delighted each time you post another for us. They are super creative, quick, well-crafted and thoughtful. Wouldn't it be fun to put them into an e-book ?~!

Here's hoping you don't feel the need to Stop at 100. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Kay said...

Great work, you put the rest of us to shame.

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Don't you love when these spurts of completion time come upon us! They do not come often for me but when they do, they feel GREAT!! Beautiful Projects!

Lorna McMahon said...

You were a busy bee! All are great finishes. Must feel good to have accomplished sew many cute projects. Congrats to Brenda!

Diane said...

fun stuff going on there Amanda! I so understand the cluttered feeling of too many things going on-good too clear some stuff (and then start 4 new things at least-right??) The flea market fancy pillow reminded me that I wanted to make that one!

Dee said...

I just love your scrap projects! I would love to make a scrap vortex quilt,is there any way of sorting and cutting the scraps? Of course before I met you I threw all my scraps in one bag! (I meant EASY way) Do I separate ..light..dark before I sew, or just random? What size do you recommend I make the slabs fabric? Thanks for your help.

Svetlana said...

wow, that was a lot of projects!!! You're amazing. I love all your little finishes, they are such a refreshing distraction from big projects, aren't they?

Anne said...

love, love, love them. that's all. :)

bjiwami54@gmail.com said...

Amandajean,
I saw the bloglovin' post telling me I won the scraps, but can't seem to find your email anywhere! You can contact me at: brenda@selden-son.com and I will send you my address. I'm so excited! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! P.S. Love the pillow in Monday's post!

Melissa Corry said...

Wow, not bad at all!! So many fun projects. I love that little zipper pouch. So need to make one of those ;)

JG said...

What a cute zippered purse! I like the simple design.
~Judy

Unknown said...

You are truly amazing! All are beautiful!

Katie said...

Huh, I live in the Fargo area and have never heard of that shop. I think I need a mug though!

teaginny said...

you are a scrappy inspiration! I need a needle book so badly. You've given me a push to get it done.

Unknown said...

Everything is so cute

Cooler Quilts said...

I love the small projects and I think I need placemats now!

Anne Heidi said...

Well done! Love all your finishes :-) The pillows are really nice!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

Seven finishes?! Seven! In one weekend! Wow!
I am happy when I finish just one thing. You have had a really productive few days. Well done!

Sharon said...

The bra block was my favorite. Small projects are the SEW good to do in a short period of time.

Andrea said...

I too am wondering if you used a pattern for the little zip bag. Thanks for sharing all your projects. One of these days I'm going to make one of those needle books !

Kitty said...

Wow! You are amazing! These are all wonderful! I'm somewhat inspired to start a few smaller projects so that I can maybe have something to finish once in a while... but then again, do I really need more projects!? Okay, yes I do!

RugratRodeos said...

There is absolutely NOTHING HERE I don't L-O-V-E! you are Amazing woman!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Wow! You were so busy! I love your projects and the cushions are so beautiful. The scrappy placemat is really gorgeous too!

alejandra said...

I love them all, wow, you were busy, cant pick one favorite, all them are nice and usefull!

Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne said...

I just updated my CrazyMomQuilts scrappy challenge board. Know what's cool? There are some fraternal twins projects on there now. I love seeing the inspiration in one place. It helps me make my sewing to do list.

(I had to delete my last comment because there was a typo.)

Martha said...

Your creations are so inspiring!
Love the zippered bag!