Wednesday, July 20, 2016

the pincushion fun continues

I'm still keeping up with my pincushions. One a day in July! I haven't missed a day yet...so I'm hopeful I can make it through all 31 days. I guess we will see!

Day 15....
I paper pieced this little pineapple pincushion from solid scraps. I was tempted to make an entire quilt out of these, even though it would take for.ever. I willingly used purple in the corners...can you believe it? Hahaha! It finishes at 3 1/2" square and it is scrap project #162.

Day 16...
I went minimalist with this one and it was a nice change of pace! I don't sew much black and white, but I like it when I do! This is scrap project #163.

Day 17....
I finished stitching ALL my squircles for my dot your i's quilt on Sunday, so I celebrated by making a squircle pincushion. Naturally, right? I love, love, LOVE the quilting on the background and how it pops. This is scrap project # 164.

Day 18....
This was a scrappy block that was just hanging out in my sewing room, so I turned into a skinny pincushion. It was fun to quilt it in hot pink! This is scrap project #165.

Day 19...
This is a revisited design....all the way back from 2008! It seems almost wrong to combine fine Liberty fabric with a recycled tuna can, but I also love it for that reason! I free motion quilted the words on the Essex linen. Pin....sew....
....press....repeat. It's NOT a scrap project...but it is a finish! I love it!

So, if you are keeping track, that's 23 pincushions so far this month! Crazy. Fun.

27 comments:

Crystal_235 said...

Love them all! The tuna can pincushion is on my list of projects for someday.

Karen said...

Love the minimalist pincushion!

mangozz said...

Love all your pincushions. There is really such a variety of styles and color combinations and sizes too. You've really inspired me to make more, also. I'm having lots of fun with it and love admiring my little collection which is growing all the time. Thanks for the motivation.

Emily said...

I love all your pincushions! I've really enjoyed seeing the pictures of them - so fun!

Becky said...

What cute pin cushions! Love them all.

the momma said...

I think your pincushion-a-day streak has been a lot more fun than my mile-a-day streak has been :-) Congrats for keeping up with it. They are all so very cute! I couldn't pick a favorite if I tried.
Happy sewing ~ Tracy

mascanlon said...

Sew fun! I have made a few this month but never can keep up with you and Carrie Nelson!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

What a fun idea! Good luck with the rest of the month. Not long to go 😊

beth s said...

I'd say you're having a FUN July!! Love them all. ;)

Mary Marcotte said...

I'm not sure if it more crazy or more fun, but I'll agree that it's absolutely both! Good luck in making it to the end. I made one of your skinny pincushions today and discovered how much I like little pincushions!

Di~ said...

Killin' with cuteness!

Kay said...

I love the Liberty design, so pretty. x

Steffi said...

Als Nadelkissen Fan bin ich total begeistert!
Liebe Grüße
Steffi

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh they are so cute, especially the pineapple block!

Unknown said...

Hi Amanda, love the pincushions! Would you consider doing a post (with pictures)showing how you finish the edge after filling with walnut shells? The ones you make appear to be so plump and full. I made a pincushion last night using an orphan block. I had to take some of the stuffing out because I couldn't keep the stuffing in while holding it to hand-sew the opening.

artsycraftsyivy said...

Love ALL your pincushions! Question about the squircle one: do you quilt it and then lay the squircle on top, machine quilt around it, and then do the hand quilting? If so, I'm wondering if that would work for quilts, too. Either applique in process of constructing quilt and then quilt through the applique or leave applique for last. Just a thought. Don't know where I'm going with it. Ha!

pennylanequilts said...

Another fantastic week of pincushions. I have enjoyed seeing them each day on Instagram. How exciting to have all of your squircle blocks finished.

Melissa Corry said...

So, so, so loving these!!!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Love the black and white one. Simple and graphic. You've surely outgrown the bowl full of pin cushions. Now you need a large wall piece with lots of little cubbies . . . one for each cushion like a giant shadow box

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

You are amazing! These are all so clever and cute! But what are you going to do with 31 pincushions????

JoAnne in southern California said...

You are such an inspiration! Tuna can? Thank you, that's a great idea.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

These are all so cute! I've been on vacation without internet for 10 days so I needed to go back to see them all. I can't pick a favorite yet because you keep adding more cute ones. I'll have to wait till the end of the month to try to narrow it down.

em's scrapbag said...

They are all wonderful! I love the quilting on the first!

KaHolly said...

Such a fun, personal challenge!

Leanne Parsons said...

I love all of your pincushions! It's so fun to see all the different designs.

Bernie Kringel said...

This has been a lot of fun to watch. ALso, I love the simplicity of your photos.

Sandy Panagos said...

Ooooooooh! I love the black and white one! I'm having fun watching you.