Friday, July 01, 2016

a tinker tote

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

It seems like I'm finally getting around to projects that I've wanted to make for years, which feels great! This week I tackled a tinker tote. The project is included in my lovely friend Tara's Quilt-As-You-Go Patchwork Bags class on Craftsy. The bag is fairly involved, but the results are so worth it! Tara's class is excellent. I can't recommend it enough!
I added the mug in this photo for scale. This bag is big and roomy. I love it! Tara designed the pattern to use a quilt-as-you-go method, but I wanted to change things up and make one using my favorite scrap size of all time: 2 1/2" squares. I pieced the patchwork panels and then quilted them. I had a few problems with the quilting distorting, but after ripping things out a few times, I decided that finished is better than perfect! I do love the squares! I certainly want to try making one using quilt as you go method next. Of course!
I added 4 slip pockets to the interior and rather than adding a flap, I installed a magnetic snap to the lining.
Red polka dot binding was the natural choice for finishing things off. I used denim that I had on hand for the bottom, so it shouldn't show dirt very fast and it should be durable. I love the combination of all the fabrics. It's so bright and happy!
I'm quite pleased with my finish for the week! It is scrap project # 147!

Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday! For those of you in the States, have a safe and great holiday weekend!


33 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

That tote is so adorable!!! My daughter just walked by my computer and asked if I would make one for her ;) Instant love!

Cut&Alter said...

The bag is gorgeous - just perfect with all your little squares. Great idea to use a denim bottom.

Mari said...

What a lovely, happy-looking tote! Sure to be very useful!

Little Quiltsong said...

Love this bag - love the curved sides on it. Beautiful with the denim and red binding added to the bright fabric patchwork.

Brooke said...

love, love the bag so much!!

you inspire me!!

brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

Rebecca Grace said...

Your tote bag is adorable, Amanda! When I make something quilted, I quilt my yardage first and then cut out the pieces so that quilting distortion doesn't affect the size or shape of my pieces. I don't know what order you did things in, but I don't see any distortion or issues whatsoever in the finished bag. Do you think that pattern could be adapted for a laptop bag? I can't find one that I like and the padded sleeve that came with my laptop has no handles -- really dumb, right? All I need is to drop my laptop in the parking lot when I'm getting out of the car!

Julie Bagamary said...

What a fun tote!!

Kate said...

Love the bag! Using denim on the bottom is genius (have to steal that idea right away).

Marcelle said...

Super cute in every way!

KathyinMN said...

Love it! Smart to add the pockets to the inside.,

Sarah Craig said...

I love your bag! I need another purse like a need a hole in my head, but I may have to make one of those myself! Congratulations on another great scrap project....

travelinsewl said...

This is great! You make it look easy!

Rosa said...

Love it. Pretty nice!

Janie said...

Good for you! Beautiful finish.
Those Craftsy classes are great aren't they?
I'm taking your class, 'Colorful Scrap Quilting.' It's great because I can work at my own rate. Your directions are easy to follow, thank you.

travelinsewl said...

This is great! You make it look easy!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Adorable bag! Great idea to use denim on the bottom, very practical and cute too!

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

I'd love to make one of these bags for my girls ... will check out the Craftsy link :)

Debbie said...

I took Tara's class and made a Tinker Tote too - both the class and tote were excellent!

Susana Neiger said...

I LOVE your Tinker Tote! The patchwork, the denim, the roomy bag design. Makes me want to make one now, too!!! Thank you again for Finish It Up Friday: it's SUCH great motivation to keep at least a little progress happening, so those finishes keep coming!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

thats such a lovely cheery bag - I love the lining as well as the squares - a perfect finish for summer!

Suzanne said...

That bag is totally you! From the binding to the bottom your scrappy polka dot loving self is expressed. I love it.

Quilt n Queen said...

Another awesome scrappy finish...love, love love it!!!

Debbi said...

Love your idea of sturdy denim for the bottom and plan to do the same on my next bag!

piecefulwendy said...

The patchwork squares are so lively and bright, and the denim bottom is a great idea. And who doesn't love a polka dot binding? Cute in every way!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great fabric and color choices!

Kris Quilts said...

Super cute bag! I love it. Is it just me, or does anyone else get a thrill when they find a fabric they have in a project someone else made? I spied a piece of Sanibel by Heather Peterson in the 3rd photo!. I just love that line.
Thanks for sharing your projects and keeping me motivated to keep plugging away on mine.

pennylanequilts said...

Love your little patchwork squares. They make this bag extra special!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a great bag! 2 1/2" squares are my favorite, too.

doodlebugmom said...

love it!

Tracybug Creative said...

It's so vibrant! The snap and no flap is brilliant! 💗💗

Little Penpen said...

I love love love the bag!!

driftwoodthimble.com said...

Its so pretty and bright and happy! Love it! Dee x

Lorna McMahon said...

What a bright and fun tote! Love the combination of the scrappy squares and the denim. Of course the red dotty binding is so flirty. Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Amanda Jean. And a wonderful long weekend to you and your family. Happy 4th!!!