Tuesday, July 30, 2013

out of my box quilt top

I'm calling this quilt "out of my box". It's an example of how to use slabs in a traditional lay out. I don't use black and white that often, but I love the application of it here, as sashing. (Thanks Debbie for the suggestion!) Of course the fact that it's a polka dot doesn't hurt. I love the orchid colored cornerstones. I'm hoping to get this one quilted and bound before I head to camp stitch-a-lot. (That's next week already! Yikes!)
Not to air my clean laundry or anything (har har har), but I am celebrating because my husband installed a clothesline for me this weekend! Line dried sheets are the BEST!

Now, to answer a few questions that I've been getting repeatedly this week....

I've had a bunch of questions about the zig zag tutorial that I linked to last Wednesday. The blog is GONE, and so is the tutorial. I never published it on my own blog and I don't have the instructions written down anywhere (argh!!!) so please use the moda pdf here. Thank you!
Also, for those of you who were looking for the mystery quilt instructions, the links are here. (Thanks, Julie!) :)

22 comments:

Lisa said...

OMG the polkas with the orchid are literally amazing - outside the box and exactly the type of thing that I love. Unique and fun all rolled into one!!!!

Lauren Deel said...

I LOVE this one! I'm usually not a fan of patterned sashing, but you've pulled this off without a hitch :)

And if this is what you're sharing on a Tuesday, I can't wait to see what your "finish" will be this Friday!

Vicki said...

I don't know a soul that doesn't love polka dots! Especially black with white dots. Such a great quilt.

Kelsey said...

Wow this is great! Those slabs are fabulous and I love the sashing!

Sarah Craig said...

Really nice quilt, Amanda Jean - and I love the sashing! Aren't clotheslines the best for taking quilt pics? I love mine - plus I've got the old-fashioned kind that can spin around so I can always get the best light available!

MariQuilts said...

What a fabulous quilt, Amanda Jean...I love it.

YC @ glass snail crawling said...

I love archive.org :) I think this is the missing tutorial?

http://web.archive.org/web/20130603160650/http://beesquarefabrics.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-zig-zag-quilt-without.html

Allison said...

That quilt top is amazing and so beautiful! I would love to make one like it now :) And thanks for the links!

evaj said...

Wow ,,what a fabolous quilt!!!Hugs Bambi

Cheryl Arkison said...

That looks awesome!

Cheryl Arkison said...

That looks awesome!

Suzanne said...

It IS out of your box but it is awesome. I love the clothes line. Would you believe we have covenance that dictate we cannot have one? Boo Hoo! Thankfully, I do have friends with lines I can borrow for photo purposes.

Thank you to you and Julie for the link for the mystery pattern! I really wanted to have that one on file. xo

Vicki H said...

I like your 'out of the box' quilt, I have a hard time getting out of the box myself. I also want to thank you for the link to the mystery quilt pattern.

Carla said...

Beautiful x

CapitolaQuilter said...

Enjoy Camp Stitch a lot - and if clean sheets are the worst of your dirty laundry you're leaps years ahead of the rest of us :)

Anna said...

The sashing makes the blocks 'ping'! I Love it!

Maggie said...

Lovely quilt!

Tracybug Creative said...

Love this!! On Mother's Day I got the house to myself and I pulled scraps for some slabs, I made several and I wasn't sure what I would do with them, this is perfect!

Mego said...

I sent you a copy of your 'original' post on the Zig Zag. I have made this quilt umpteen times. Thanks!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your choice of black and white polka dots and the orchid corner stones is genius. Of course. I would expect nothing less from you. :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous quilt Amanda.......just loving the black and white sashing too. I am a big fan of black and white spots. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

margaret said...

really like your latest quilt