Tuesday, July 23, 2013

scrappy project #2 and a fabric design contest

Did you hear? Connecting Threads is holding another design contest this year! They are taking submissions from July 22 through August 10th. You can read all about the contest here and the guidelines are here. I may be thinking of submitting something....yikes!
------------------------------------
Now, on to the scraps!
:)
I'm already finding that my 101 scrap project challenge is a fun way to play with various color combinations and techniques on a small scale. Using up scraps will simply be a nice side benefit!
This is a little block that I made while playing with scraps a few weeks ago. The color scheme reminded me of a friend, so I turned it into a coaster or mini mug rug (whatever you want to call it) for her.
I quilted with 25 weight hand quilting thread* that I ran through my Juki. It makes a clearly-defined chunky stitch that I really like!! I used a regular quilting thread (50 weight) in the bobbin and there was no need to adjust the tension at all. It was FUN!
I quilted the piece heavily, as you can see. You can get away with that on a small piece and it doesn't take forever. Hurray! To finish it off, I used a single fold binding. Carol has a great tutorial for that here. If you have to bind a small project, I highly recommend it!
 
*I should note that this hand quilting thread (by Robison-Anton) is uncoated. I know that some hand quilting thread (Coats and Clark for instance) is coated and will NOT work in a sewing machine. I haven't tested other kinds of threads, so I can't recommend or give further advice on them.

18 comments:

Vicki said...

I do like the heaver thread. So cute. What is the final measurement?

Angie said...

Beautiful-and I love the look and weight of that thread. :)

Debbie said...

That is amazing. I love to quilt in a dense style that way. You keep saying how you love your Juki. I wish that I loved mine, sigh.

Anonymous said...

It's a really cute little gift you whipped up!

Veronica said...

Thanks for posting the single fold binding link. I have some precious little coasters with an Aneela Hoey (sp?) embroidery pattern, and this method will be perfect!

Blue Moth said...

Love your 101 scrap projects idea.

JG said...

After reading this I looked down at my 1st project after purchasing my new Janome. My "mug rug" is used every AM. :)
~Judy

barbandemily said...

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I'm enjoying cutting mini nines pieces! I have some charm 6" squares which amazingly cut into 2 sets of block borders and 15 mini block squares! Wow!

Suzanne said...

I am really counting days until I can scrap bust. Kids go to sleep away camp on Sunday for a week. Maybe I will call my time at home scrap camp. :-)

Anonymous said...

Great to know such thread (uncoated/unglazed) can be successfully used!! I know my Juki is very 'forgiving' when it comes to both thread and fabric. Great/helpful post!! Love the mug rug!! Hugs......

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful colour combination. I am so inspired by your work. I have started on the scraps for mini nine patch! Thanks Marie

jan said...

So very cute! I love the look of the heavier thread.

Janet M said...

I've used YLI hand quilting thread top and bobbin in my Viking Mega for various projects. Never thought to use it for quilting though. I will keep it in mind for the future!

Maggie said...

A great little project! Thank you. Xx

margaret said...

another nice piece and thanks for the info re the hand quilting threads, had not tried the hand threads in the machine, now I know that some do and some do not work

Linh said...

I was hoping to get some advice about the fabric design contest, this is my first time ever with anything like this and I have sketches how do I enter the contest? Love any insight you have thanks !

Glynis said...

Love how that quilting pops! Gonna have to try this, and love your small project play with scraps philosphy! Keeps it manageable and fun all in quick bursts of color and time!

Nicola said...

I love the back it kinda looks like coffee beans xxx