Monday, March 05, 2018

scrappy churn dash block--a tutorial

Hello! I thought that it would be fun to share a tutorial for making a scrappy churn dash block today. I originally planned to include this idea in my book, but I didn't like any of the versions I made while testing, so I switched gears and made the ring me quilt in it's place. I'm glad that things worked out that way, because I adore that quilt. I wasn't going to give up on the scrappy churn dash block completely, so today I revisited the idea. I'm pleased to report that I finally made a version of the block that I LOVE. Hurray!
For the background fabric, I'm using Quilter's Linen by Robert Kaufman in the color Ecru. (I have a whole bolt of this fabric, which is very exciting!) I love that it looks like Essex linen, but it's actually quilting cotton, which is easier to work with because it's less bulky.
From the background fabric, cut:
(1) 5" square for the center
(2) 3" squares for the corners
(4) 1 1/2" x 5" rectangles for the sides
From a contrast fabric, cut:
(2) 3" squares for the corners
From scraps, piece several together, end to end, to make:
(4) 1 1/2" x 5" scrappy strips
Cut each of the 3" squares in half on the diagonal once, to make a total of 8 triangles. Place one background fabric and one contrast fabric, right sides together. Sew to form a half-square triangle. Make 4 total.
Press the seams. (I like to press my seams open when making half-square triangles, but you can press the fabric in any direction you choose.)  Trim each half-square triangle to 2 1/2" square.
Place one strip of background fabric and one strip of scrappy patchwork, right sides together. Sew along one long side and press seam to the background fabric. Make 4 total.
Arrange the pieces as shown.
Sew the block units into rows. Press the seams in the top and the bottom rows toward the triangles. Press the seams in the middle row toward the center.
Sew the rows together to assemble the block. Press seams toward the center. The block should measure 9" square.
Here are my three original scrappy churn dash blocks that I made in the testing phases. Like I said, I wasn't thrilled with any of them, but they do make dandy hot pads. If you'd like to turn your scrappy churn dash block into a hot pad, you can use this tutorial as a guide. I like to turn orphan blocks into usable objects, because that means less clutter hanging around the sewing room.
 
If you give this block a try, I'd love to see it. Have fun sewing up your teeny tiny scraps!
 
Happy Monday to you!

27 comments:

Nana said...

Think the scrappy churndash is great! Makes the old-new.

tahoe34 said...

I love all the versions. Thank you for the tutorial!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love the scrappy goodness of your Churndash blocks!!

Noblequilts@gmail.com said...

I like to use my orphan blocks in the back of my quilts. Thanks for the tutorial. Churndash is one of the first block I ever made and still a favourite .

Beckyathome said...

Those projects look amazing!!! I can't wait until I have some time to get back to quilting. I have quite a few projects started, but they are all put away for now. One of these days......Until then, I'll keep enjoying the work of others.

Pamela Arbour said...

Maybe you will put this in your next book? I liked your first try equally as well.

Donna said...

Wonderful version of the favorite Churn Dash. Thanks also for the quilting design idea inside the center.

ginkgokid said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your scrappy churn dash! Scrappy is my style, and I plan to make several churn dash quilts in different colors, and now I have added a scrappy version to the list! THANK YOU!

Leslie K. said...

Thank you so much for this idea and tutorial! When I originally saw your Ring Me quilt, it inspired me to make a scrappy quilt (which I have never done). I have been using my very small fabric scraps as leaders and enders and sewing them into 5" lengths and trimming them into 1.5" strips. At some point I was going to make something along the lines of your Ring Me quilt, but had no plan. Now I have a plan! I am so excited!!!! Thank you for this very timely tutorial. My stack of 5" x 1.5" strips is growing so I will have to give this block a try! I may also use my orphan/extra HST's in the blocks, as well.

ps I really like those trial blocks you made (and are now potholders). What was the reason that you didn't like them?

KaHolly said...

Sweet! I just might have to try it today!

farmhousequilter8 said...

This is my favorite blog!!!!! I love the scrappy churn dash and I love the hot pads. I just love looking for ideas on your blog. Paula in KY

Debbie Lou said...

What a fun scrappy block! I have to give this one a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Susan said...

I'm really excited about this block!! I love churn dash blocks and I love using up scraps. Are you going to make a whole quilt with this type block? I'd LOVE to see it or a mock up.

drquilter said...

I love the blocks! Sad that it didn't make the book but very happy Ring Me did as I'm currently making it. I keep making blocks as I keep adding to my bag of cut up scraps. A great way to use those small pieces. Once I finish Ring Me, I'll start another one using this block. Thanks for the tutorial!

Sandy Panagos said...

Very cute. The potholders are a great way to hold back the clutter AND make a nice little stash of on-hand gifts!

Susan said...

Wonderful. I really like it and I think it makes a very nice potholder. Thanks for the tutorial.

grammajudyb said...

Thanks for the tutorial, Amanda Jean. This scrappy block is really cute. Another on my Amanda Jean's Designs To-do List! "love"

Sheri in Iowa said...

Love this block and what a great way to use those little bits of fabric up!!!!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

What a neat idea!!!! Love the pot holders!!!

Sharon said...

Love these! Thanks for the tutorial.

tbear said...

i LOVE the pot holders

Kristin said...

Super cute! I've been sewing little chunks of fabric together and this will be a great use for it.

Leanne Parsons said...

Gorgeous scrappy churn dashes! I love using those tiny little pieces too, so I'll definitely be making use of this idea. Thanks for sharing, Amanda :)

Super Mom - No Cape! said...

Love this scrappy churndash block! And I love the square spiral quilting you did on your three test sample blocks!

ChezVies said...

Thank you for the tutorial! Another list to try!

Susie said...

This is the cutest scrap block I've ever seen. A fabulous way to use tiny pieces. I hate to throw any piece out. I love this - thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

Thanks for another great scrappy project! That will be my next leader-ender!