Friday, March 02, 2018

gingham doll quilt

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
This gingham doll quilt, which is a mini version of my new king size quilt, was such a delight to make. After I had finished the king size quilt, I threw all the extra scraps into a bag and stashed it in a bin. (That's a bad habit to get into!!!) It felt so good to pull out the scraps and actually use them!
I made a teeny tiny little pillow case to match, because...cuteness!!! (I used my OLD doll bedding tutorial from 2008, which can be found here. Still works. Hahaha!) I haven't done much sewing with my Emma and Myrtle fabric since it came out, so it was nice to use it for this project.
I decided to quilt it on the baby lock tiara, which went very well. I had to snap a picture of it mid-quilting, because the scale of the machine vs. the scale of the quilt is comical. Turns out a lot of throat space is lovely, no matter the size of quilt. :)
Right before I was about to make the binding, I discovered some leftover binding from the king sized quilt. Guess what? I had enough left to bind the doll quilt with about 5" to spare. It was perfect!!
I'm going to give this to my daughter. (Either for her birthday in a few months, or sooner if she reads this blog post and finds out about it. Ha!) The quilt can be used for any one of her many, many stuffed animals....
....or she can use it for her favorite doll, Sage. (Isn't this vintage cradle just perfect? I picked it up at a garage sale for ONE DOLLAR several years ago. It was quite the bargain!)
Seriously, is this not squeal-worthy??? She's going to LOVE it!!!  
The doll quilt measures approximately 18" x 22" and it is scrap project #199!

Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday! Have a GREAT weekend!

25 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your sweet doll quilt

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh that is just so cute!!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Amanda,
Oh, that gingham doll quilt is just so darn cute. I have had a gingham quilt on my to-do-soon list for ages, AND more recently to make a few doll quilts. This is just a perfect combination. It would also allow me to do some practice FMQ on a small scale. Win-win all around. Thank you for hosting! ~smile~ Roseanne

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

That pillow case is too much -- I love it!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

This is the sweetest! She is going to love it, and the fact that it matches so perfectly, binding and all, is awesome. Also, as others have pointed out, the pillow is so cute, too!!

Frog Quilter said...

Very cute. The quilting is perfect.

grammajudyb said...

To quote a dear friend, "that is SO stinkin' cute". I'll bet your daughter will be thrilled that it matches your king size quilt. The Myrtle and Emma fabric is a perfect combo!

Melissa Corry said...

This is absolutely adorable :)

FlourishingPalms said...

Cute, cute, cute! Oh, if only I had a little girl around that I could sew for. You're lucky!

beth s said...

OOH! I love little dolly things! This is so sweet.

Kelly O. said...

I use your doll quilt tutorial all the time!! it's so neat to see a mini version of your bed quilt!

Lyndsey said...

Love the doll quilt and the pillow finishes it off beautifully. A really great birthday present.

Renée Welton said...

Absolutely adorable....any little (or big) girl would love it♥️♥️♥️

Cathy Tomm said...

Sweet little doll quilt!

PoseySlider said...

These are too sweet! I do have a question. What do you use for batting on something this small? Thanks.

Unknown said...

That is so cute and thank for the link to see the original ones you made.

Kristin said...

Total squee!! Love the quilting!

Karen said...

Cute, cute, cute!!

Edna / HandmadeDiva said...

Lovely patchwork doll-quilt.

KaHolly said...

Just too sweet!

Sandy Panagos said...

That is the cutest thing ever!

EM said...

Love that the binding was the perfect length!

Suzanne said...

This is one of the posts that makes me smile so much that my face hurts.

Bearpawquilter said...

Cuteness overload!

Super Mom - No Cape! said...

I love that little doll quilt and the tiny pillow!