Friday, March 30, 2018

15 mark twain blocks

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
I have now completed 15 of these blocks, which means that I'm keeping up with my goal of completing 5 blocks a month. Hurray! The blocks are English Paper Pieced, so they are completely stitched by hand. Each block takes awhile, but I enjoy the process so much!
I have not been deliberate about the colors I choose for the overall quilt, rather I'm selecting fabrics one block at a time. This is the first time that I laid them all out together and I'm relieved that they are cohesive, as a group. (I'm using 30's reproduction prints, which all tend to go together, so it wasn't a HUGE risk, really.) I added the scissors in the photo for scale. These blocks are pretty large! That's good news, because that means I need fewer of them for a decent sized quilt.
The sew it goes tote that I made awhile back (pattern available for purchase here) is so helpful for containing all the pieces as I work and it makes the project very portable. Plus, it's really cute!!! As you can see, I'm well on my way to completing my next block. I'm hoping that I have plenty of time to hand stitch this weekend.

That's it for me today! Now, it's your turn to link up your finishes for the week. Thank you for joining me for finish it up Friday! Have a great weekend! Happy Easter!

24 comments:

Brooke said...

Happy Easter to you too!!

your blocks are amazing!!

brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your hexies, I too made a big bed size quilt using this pattern for diamond hexies, your colors are great.

Chris said...

The blocks looks gorgeous! I think I need to look into starting a version of this.

Rene' said...

Your blocks do look amazing together! I like seeing the closeup of the block too. That top photo showcases some pretty fabrics. Happy Easter weekend!

Julia Graber said...

I love your hexie project and tote. I'm working on hexies too and it makes for a good hand take-a-long project.

Alison V. said...

These blocks are fabulous! Happy Easter!

em's scrapbag said...

Your blocks looks so pretty! Love that little stack! Happy Easter!

Janice Holton said...

I have been thinking about trying EPP so I'll always have a hand project with me wherever I go. Your project is really drawing me! I have never made anything with 30's repro. I love the look of them and your blocks are wonderful!

Fran said...

I keep thinking of trying EPP but it kind of scares me haha

Shannon said...

These are looking amazing together! Slow and steady wins the race ;)

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Happy Easter! The blocks look wonderful together.

Christine said...

This is looking beautiful! I love this type of project for traveling. It combines my love of quilts with hand stitching.

Laundered Cotton said...

I so wish I had the patience for EPP. Thank you for the linky party!

Becca said...

I really need to get back to work on my EPP. Your units look great!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Looks really good. I wish I liked to hand sew, but I just don't. :(
I tried to add a link, but you're shut down for some reason. Happy Easter!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your blocks look so pretty all together. I should join you in making this quilt as I have a lot of hexagon papers just sitting in a basket

ChezVies said...

what a lovely blocks and love the cute organizer! Happy Easter!!

Kleine Vingers said...

Sewing hexagons is so much fun, and the fabrics look lovely. And the little bag is cute.

RosieGma said...

Love those blocks...may have to make some also for a quilt....

Becki said...

I enjoyed meeting you last week in Winston-Salem. Hope your family has a wonderful Easter Sunday.

Sandy Panagos said...

The blocks are really cute in 30's fabric!

Jessica Christensen said...

I just bought the bag pattern. It was too adorable to pass up. Thanks for the inspiration!

Hubblebird said...

I think the blocks are looking fantastic. Like you, I am just picking out contrasting fabrics (for my Indigenous Australia theme) and if they look okay, then I go for it. I have six blocks completed - not quite as fast as you are! The blocks are big - how big are you making your quilt? I can't remember if you mentioned how big the original antique quilt is.

KaHolly said...

Certainly like these Mark Twain blocks. I haven’t picked up my hexie basket in a long time. Perhaps it’s time to revisit it. Hexies are such an awesome 'to go' project.