Thursday, March 22, 2018

I couldn't get this idea out of my head

The day after I made my latest scrappy churn dash block, I had the bright idea of making another version of it, but this time half-sized. Yesterday, after weeks of the idea rattling around in my head, I took some time to test it out. It was so fun to make!!! Turns out I like the smaller size better. (I'm sure that no one is surprised!!!)
This block will finish at 4 1/4". I purposely made it this size so I could combine 4 small blocks and alternate them with one larger block, which will finish at 8 1/2". 
It's really hard to convey the scale of the block in photos, but I think this one shows it best. It would be fun to make a large quilt combining the two different sizes of blocks..... OR, it would be SUPER fun to make one quilt from each block size. (Here we go, down the rabbit hole again! Ha!) Either way, I think I have a new WIP. :)
 
There is a tutorial for the large sized scrappy churn dash block here, if you care to make some of your own.

17 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

Love the block, but be careful of the rabbit hole. I tend to find pieces that I have made travelling down the rabbit hole and not figured just what to do. I have a stack of 5 different types scrappy quilt blocks that may end up a sampler because when I got to a certain size the overall concept didn't work in my mind anymore.

karenbbsnow said...

I've already made one large scrappy churn dash and another 3 partially done, as well as about 10 of the scrappy log cabin blocks. Both are very addictive:)

Kay said...

I really like the idea of a quilt made using both blocks. it is such a lovely design and great for using up tiny scraps. x

KaHolly said...

My brain has been begging to make a small one, too, to go with my 4.25” granny squares, but you beat me to it. I loved making a couple of the larger version from your tutorial and my daughter was pleased to receive two new potholders out of the deal.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray! for hand-sized blocks. Adorable!!

Julie Bagamary said...

SOOO Cute!!

farmhousequilter8 said...

Love both. Paula in KY

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Gosh, I love the idea of combining the small and big blocks. You are an inspiration!

Mary Marcotte said...

I'm with the idea of combining the two blocks. I like the way they look in the picture and can imagine how perfect they would be in a whole quilt. You're definitely on to something smart!

Tracybug Creative said...

It’s preeeeety!

Lee said...

Oh my word! How cute!! I can’t wait to see how this turns out!

Jess Pugh said...

Sew pretty! My scrap bins are calling my name.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Amanda,
Aww, that cute little blocks looks like it can stand up to its bigger sibling quite nicely. I think a quilt of the two size blocks would be adorable! Great idea. ~smile~ Roseanne

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Will you do a tutorial on the 4 1/2” size - Love it!

Kimberley said...

I loved your churn dash so much that I used it as a border for a panel I'd had with 4 little animal prints. It's perfect as a frame for each animal, especially with the scrappy prints. (If I could figure out how to attach a picture, I would.)

robinnan said...

Love the scrappy churn dash! I'd love to make the smaller one for a pincushion
can you provide the measurements please? Love those quick little projects in between the big ones!

Darlene's Dabbles said...

I was intrigued by your church dash block and made some of the 9 inch size. Then I expanded on your idea by piecing strips together, cutting then 2 1/2 inches wide, adding to each side with a 2 1/2 inch white square in the corners. I wish I could send you a picture but can't seem to figure that out