Friday, May 26, 2017

big nines--a completed quilt

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
I finished up the hand binding on my big nines quilt this morning! My kids are done with school for the summer, so I have quilt holders available during the day now. That's pretty exciting! (For me, at least....I'm not sure that they are so thrilled about that. Hahaha!)
Yesterday morning I pieced a back and basted the quilt. It didn't take very long to quilt it, which was great. I kept the quilting simple by doing some free motion wavy lines to form a grid. I love this type of quilting. It's easy and quick and forgiving. It also adds a nice texture to the entire piece.
Most of the solids are Kona cotton, and the bright aqua on the right is a cotton couture by Michael Miller. ALL of the fabric came from my stash. (Hurray for that!)
This fabric is from my good neighbors collection. It matched perfectly and works very well on the back.
The quilt measures about 48" square. This is my 11th quilt finish for the year! Not too bad. :)

There is a simple tutorial for the big nines block here, if you care to make one of your own.

Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you for joining me for Finish it up Friday! Hope you have a great weekend! xo

26 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I like how the quilting grids also emphasize the nine patch design. I hope you have a wonderful summer!

Alison V. said...

The quilting on this is awesome!

Sylvia said...

Fun quilt! I call the crossed wavy lines "Cracker" quilting! Looks like crackers to me. I use it a lot. Nice to have 11 finishes this year! Well done!

Nicole said...

Good choice on the quilting; it's a perfect compliment to the quilt!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the simplicity of this quilt! Everything about it appeals to me - colors, pattern, and quilting!

Anne said...

I tend to get stumped when it comes to choosing a quilt design to finish off a quilt. Your wavy quilt lines are just perfect for this one!

Unknown said...

I love this quilt, so bright and bold and wonderful.

Bernie Kringel said...

Fun quilt - it seems like this came together so quickly - well at least the basting, quilting and binding did. Yikes!
Your kids are out so early! My daughter still has finals looming in front of her and is out on the ninth of June. Summer is just around the corner tho!

Angie in SoCal said...

A wonderful quilt. Love the grid quilting - I'll do that with my next one. Wow - 11 so far this year! Great job.

Debbie said...

What a fun quilt! Love the quilting you chose AND that it was all from stash!

lauraoc said...

Its so cute and the grid really makes it look soft. BTW, are you working on any projects you can show using your Good Neighbors collection. I have the collection fat quarters waiting in my stash for the right project!

Debbie said...

Getting ready to make this quilt. So bright and cheerful

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Very striking quilt!

Karen @runsewfun said...

Nice finish! I really love your quilting decision. It looks so cozy!

Joyful Quilter said...

Great quilt and quilting...question: your grid line are so nicely spaced and consistent, are those grid markings I see?

KaHolly said...

It came out great! Knew it would be beautiful finished!

SarahZ said...

What a super sweet design! I love the big blocks of color!

Sharon said...

really a cute quilt. sometimes simple is best

Karen said...

I reeaallyy love this quilt! This design is just happy :) and the quilting adds to the delight! And I can just picture your kids in a row, all holding quilts while you capture each finished quilt, then putting it down, running to the beginning of the line again, picking up another quilt. . . quilt photo relay races! Now that's some helpers ;)

lnfol said...

Question for Amanda Jean....What color thread did you use to do the quilting? or was it the nylon thread? It looks like it blends so well. Thanks Ellen

pajtr said...

Wonderful quilt!!
Everything about this one appeals to me!
Pat T.

Wilma Lee said...

Love it!!!

Laura said...

I have the same question as Ellen at Infol about this beautiful quilt's quilting thread: cotton or invisible? Thanks, Laura

amayo said...

Wasn't sure how this quilt was gonna come out. You did a wonderful job! The colors and quilting look great!

Abs said...

Since you're the kona expert I need advice!

I am making a quilt with lots of white sashing. A few months ago I finished the bolt at my LQS of kona white, it was about 3.5 yards.

I have run out of fabric. So I figured I would just buy more. But of course while tidying up my sewing room I found another large piece of white, a few yards.

Is there anyway to tell which or both of these is kona white?

Linda said...

This would be a great stash buster. :)