Monday, January 30, 2017

make and making

Did you know that my friend and co-author Cheryl came out with a new line of fabric for Connecting Threads? It's called Tag (you can check it out here), and it's all about the marks we make. It's a lovely collection and I was happy to have the chance to sew up the word "make" to help her celebrate the fabric release! She has some fun plans for this word (among others), so be sure to follow along with Cheryl and see what she's up to!
For this word, I made it much like my kindness pillow top. The strips of the letters finish at 1/2". I started with the k this time, and then I pieced the other letters around it. I'm not sure if I will turn this into a pillow cover, a mini, or if I will incorporate it into a quilt back. (Wouldn't that be fun?) I have plenty of other projects to work on while I decide! For now, I'm happy to have the block hanging out on my design wall.

Making makes Mondays manageable! (right?)

Speaking of making...
I've been making changes to my sewing room! I bought these shelves (Billy bookcases from IKEA) last fall and I've been slowly working on filling them, organizing them and making my sewing room as functional as possible. Last evening, my sweet husband finally secured the shelves to the walls, so I'm one step closer to having the project complete. I just need the top extensions for the larger 3 shelves. Maybe someday soon IKEA will have them in stock on a day that I am actually there. (One can hope!) I figured that I should share a photo of the shelves now, while they are still mostly neat and tidy. Because who knows how long that will last.... :)

Happy Monday to you!

24 comments:

Tami Von Zalez said...

Fabrics by the bolt - wow!
I suppose I should keep the small scraps but I don't. If they are smaller than 2" x 2", I throw them out.
I still intend on organizing my thread by color ...

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE your new shelving system!!! Wishing I had room for that type of storage...

Unknown said...

what an amazing room and I love the 'oh scrap' basket!

Lyndsey said...

I love you storage shelves and they would certainly make me feel like being very creative. Getting the storage right really helps make the space work for you. My sewing area/guest room is now decorated but I need to spend time deciding how I want it laid out and the storage system.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your sewing room - that corner shelve is such a great idea too!

FC Moore said...

I love your sewing room.

KellyH said...

Your shelves are wonderful! And so are your baskets for organizing. I bet you love walking in and seeing that!

lmno said...

The pincushions make great eye candy. Thanks for the treat.

Bernie Kringel said...

I agree with combining this MAKE piece into something larger, like a backing.
Isn't it cool to think of all the projects that you and Cheryl have collaborated on? 😊

Sabrina said...

This looks pretty awesome. I like the idea of using it as a quilt backing.

https://wednesdayscreationsstudio.wordpress.com/ said...

It looks inviting and delightful! I enjoy reading your posts and love seeing your processes.

Your pix always brighten my days.

Cheers!

Little Quiltsong said...

What a beautiful corner! Love your little 'make' sign!

Suzanne said...

Your corner is eye candy! I'm so jazzed to watch you and Cheryl MAKE dreams part of reality.

kathy said...

Beautiful!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Your sewing corner is sew beautiful!!! Makes me want to run out and get some for my room. Great job!!!

farmhousequilter8 said...

Really nice, I love Ikea. Paula in KY

ConGhin said...

Looks lovely, Amanda, and it is so cool to see bolts of your Good Neighbors fabrics. It must be fun to have them there ready to go for every little thing. I love how cool it looks with the white cabinets and gray baskets. Hiding a riot of color! Where are all your little color coded scrap baskets? I miss seeing them. Show us the rest of your studio. It is an inspiration!

Joy said...

Very nice! Glad to hear the shelves are being anchored.

Marianne said...

Would you believe I've never been to an IKEA! Haha! One of these days I need to go. The fact that it's an hour away doesn't motivate me. Your sewing room is looking good!

Charming bubble 52 said...

I looked at the photo before reading the text and in my head said "no one who sews has shelves this tidy, this must be for a photo shoot". Can we have a follow up photo in about 3-4 months!

Sally Hurst said...

Still waiting to hear if you are going to have patterns for the words you have drafter. I esp. would like to make a pillow using the word "kindness" that you showed a bit ago. Thanks!

Hidden Bou said...

Gp free net

Hidden Bou said...

Gp free net

Unknown said...

The make pillow is fab , really clevearly pieced , and gosh that sewing room , am so jealous! I have a sewing room but it is so messy - this is inspiring !