Friday, January 20, 2017

courtyard-a completed quilt

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
I'm calling this the courtyard quilt. It's just a slab of fabric scraps (all solids!) surrounded by Essex linen in flax. I love the simplicity and I think I actually prefer the scraps floating on a solid background rather than an entire quilt made from scraps. The negative space highlights the patchwork quite nicely. It was pieced very much like my scrap vortex quilts. (Those tutorials can be found here, if you scroll to the bottom of the page.)
On quilts like this I enjoy mixing up the quilting. For the patchwork, I quilted it with straight lines 1/2" apart. The background is quilted with a loopy swirl. Both types of quilting were done on my domestic machines. The free motion quilting was done on my Juki and the straight line quilting was done on my Janome. I used Auriful thread in the color 2600.
For the back, I used this cute firefly print by Sarah Jane for Michael Miller from her Wee Wander line. I love this print so much! The binding fabric is a Denyse Schmidt plaid (from JoAnn's, several years ago). I love that it's printed on the bias...such visual appeal without having to make bias binding. The colors and design are the perfect finish for this quilt. All of this fabric came from the stash or the scrap bins. That's extremely satisfying!
 The quilt measures about 48" x 64". It's scrap project #193.

Now, it's your turn! Do you have a finish to share? If so, please link up! Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday!

35 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

I love all off those pretty purples!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is beautiful - especially against the snow

Svetlana said...

Beautiful quilt, Amanda. Such a great idea to frame all those lovely scraps. Love the different quilting, too.

em's scrapbag said...

Lovely! I really like all the use of cool colored solids.

Unknown said...

Love the idea of the floating scraps!

MaƂgorzata Kreft said...

I like it so much!

Liz said...

Lovely! The negative space really highlights the crazy piecing, and the background color has such a hearty, earthy feel to it that contrasts with the blues and purples beautifully.

Snowcatcher said...

Gosh, I love what you've done with these scraps. You really have a way of making scraps look good!

Brooke said...

wow, wow, wow!!

love it!

brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

Rene' said...

Beautiful finish!!! I love all the bright blues and purples against your neutral background.

Di~ said...

What an awesome quilt! Love it and you! :)

Tracybug Creative said...

I ADORE all the negative space! It's perfectly inspiring!

Ariane said...

This quilt is beautiful!!

Jen said...

I love following your finish it up Friday posts. It's a place to see so many makers take pride in their craft. I love the simplicity of your latest quilt. I think your pincushions from last year are some of my favorites. Thanks for sharing this special place.

Karen L R said...

That is one gorgeous quilt!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The linen is a great frame for the scraps, as is the binding. Beautiful!

Tamie said...

This is so striking. I love it.

liz said...

One of my favorite quilts in a long time! The piecing is fab and the negative space in that yummy linen makes it pop!!!

momhulk said...

The scraps look jewel-like against that background fabric! No finishes. Still working on my En Provence and a shirt for my son.

Karen @runsewfun said...

I agree that the scraps look even better with the background. I'm inspired to give this a try. (PS - thanks for the link up.)

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

This is a great finish. Amazing what you can create with scraps.

Dora, the Quilter said...

I really like this quilt! (Reminds me of a much darker Amish quilt I've seen.) It includes some of my favorite colors!

Myssi H said...

I love the floating patchwork as well. It's BEAUTIFUL

Myssi H said...

I love the floating patchwork as well. It's BEAUTIFUL

sansuey said...

You. Just. Rock. Your creations are so pleasing, beautiful, and lovely. Thank you so much for sharing the beauty with the world!

Unknown said...

love-love-love this quilt!

PaulaB quilts said...

This quilt is simple but stunning. Plenty of rest for the eye around it. The limited color range in cools also is so effective. It brings out a mood all,it's own.

Little Quiltsong said...

Love the centre focal point of this quilt with the soft grey background fabric.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Beautiful! Congratulations on a fabulous finish!

TJenn said...

Love the simplicity and modern feel of your quilt. The quilting is very eye catching as well. You did a wonderful job! Great color choice in using the solids, so many folks are afraid of using solids in fear of it looking boring, but your quilt is certainly full of WOW!

tisha @ quiltytherapy said...

Love the binding that your chose. Wonderful choose. Plus, those scraps are great. It's giving me and idea for all my pink, purple and red fabrics I've been hoarding.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous those jewel colours are fab!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous! I absolutely love this palette and all that yummy negative space.

Annabellouise said...

I don't know which is more beautiful, the quilt or the backdrop. Both, I guess.

ConGhin said...

I love these colors, Amanda. I'm not sure I have enough solids to do something like this but love it floating in the gray. Definitely will consider doing something along those lines on my next big quilt.