Wednesday, May 04, 2016

tell me a story pillow

It's been "all pillows, all the time" over here lately.....but I'm slowly making progress toward my goal of making 11 pillows as gifts. I finished this sweet pillow this morning and I absolutely LOVE it! The pattern is called "Tell Me a Story" from the book Intentional Piecing, by Amy Friend.  These blocks were super fun to put together! It was a great reason to use some of my extensive collection of novelty fabric.
This elephant is one of my favorites. I'm glad he ended up in the middle. :)
This cute (!!!) narwhal fabric was temporarily lost (in my craft room, of all places, haha!) and I started to panic a little bit. That might be telling of the state of my craft room...ahem...but that's a subject for another day. I was so happy when I found it! I only have a little bit of it, so I had to fight my inner hoarding tendencies and actually cut into it! I'm glad I did.
(The fabric is out of print, but there is still some to be found on line. It's from Sarah Jane's Out to Sea line.)
I backed the pillow with my good neighbors oval print in orange. My husband told me that this doesn't look like a fabric I would use, much less design, which I thought was interesting. I love hearing his comments. :) All along, I had visions of it being used as backing fabric. It is wonderful to actually be using the fabric as I had originally intended to. I think it works so well as a backing! Yay!
The pillow measures about 20" square. I absolutely love how sweet it is!
 
I think the moral of this story is to actually use your fabric rather than to hoard it...or lose it, for that matter. (hahaha!) I need to remember that!

25 comments:

Preeti said...

Very cute pillow. And those novelty focus prints are adorable. Should you have too much fabric, I will happily take it off of your hands :-)
Preeti.
http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

Linda Smith said...

I love that you picked fabrics that you had a limited amount of, so you wouldn't be tempted to make it into a quilt. It WOULD be an adorable quilt. But a finished pillow is even better. Lucky recipient.

Amy Friend said...

It's adorable!! I have been known to lose fabric from time to time...

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your latest pillow creation is so cute!!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great pillow. That elephant is adorable.

Jeni Baker said...

So super cute! Such a fun way to use novelty prints! :)

Customieze said...

beautiful pillow!!!

Julie Bagamary said...

What a fun pillow. Your work is very inspiring!

Pat said...

Such a cute pillow. I love those little gold fish in their 'bowl'.

Suzanne said...

I hope we get to see the couch shot with all 11 pillows lined up!!!

Melissa Corry said...

This pillow is so adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

Such a cute finish!! Love the colors :)
Amanda

Sarina said...

You are knocking out one pretty pillow after another. Love the backing!

Janice Holton said...

So precious! Would love to hear the stories that this pillow will generate.

SewCaring said...

My very first thought as I read your post title "Tell Me A Story" was that
it would be perfect for some special little one to be used at bedtime or
storytime. Your fussy cut images allow for a little one to choose one
of them and YOU get to tell (make up) a story about the subject. I can sooo
see this. It allows for all imaginations to work. Thanks for the inspiration.

As always you present a well thought out design and your execution is spot on.

S

Jean Burke said...

I love the different novelty fabrics - so cute! And such a nice pattern! Thanks for sharing....

Karen said...

This is my favorite pillow you have made so far. I love how you showcased the novelty prints. You have inspired me!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You did some beautiful stitching! Such a cute idea for a pillow!

Lodi said...

BIG decision! Keep the husband, or keep the fabric backing? Ha ha! (I think you should keep them both!) I absolutely love it when my husband gives me his opinion!

alison@the chainpiecer said...

Nice points! You always produce such well made items, as well as lovely colour choices and designs. I really appreciate your workmanship and precision. I know it's not the only thing but it is pleasing when seams meet and piecing lies flat and shows that it can be done.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This cushion is adorable :)

Leanne Parsons said...

The pillow turned out beautifully! I love the colours, the novelty prints and the design. Your orange fabric does make a great backing too and it is really interesting that your husband doesn't think it's really a 'you' fabric.

Unknown said...

Love this pillow. It's fun to frame those cuties!! What is the goldfish fabric, please???????

Amanda Jean said...

I believe the goldfish fabric is by timeless treasures, called hoodie? I don't have the full selvage, but when I googled hoodie goldfish fabric, it came right up. I hope that helps!

Judy said...

Those turned out absolutely awesome!! Now I have ideas to make to match the quilts I gave for Christmas!! Thanks