Friday, April 29, 2016

pretty patchwork projects

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

I'm still working toward my goal to make 11-14 throw pillow for gifts. This week has been a lot less productive than last week....and that's the way it goes!
This low volume patchwork pillow measures 20" finished. It's supposed to be a gift. I was wavering between sending it off and keeping it. I had finally made my mind up to send it out into the world. Then, I put the pillow form inside and took the photo. I may have lost my resolve! It's hard to make any progress if you keep half of what you make! I LOVE it so much. It's springy and bright and cheery. And, most importantly, scrappy! It is scrap project #137.
It has a bit of fussy cutting (that seems to be the theme this week!).....
and an envelope backing. I love this coral polka dot! Polka dots are always the theme around here. :)
I made this pincushion as birthday present for my aunt who recently started quilting. (I love those cherries!!!) I gathered a few of my favorite notions to send along with it. It's so nice to be able to enable the quilting obsession in others! This is scrap project # 138.
In the interest of keeping it real....some finishes you have to fight for more than others. I have this pillow top complete, but the quilting didn't work out so well. Apparently I am going to get reacquainted with my seam ripper....and so it goes!
One more big finish...my baby girl turns 10 today! No more single digits for this household. It's so bittersweet.... (This photo is a few months old, but it captures her personality so well. Not shown, my two boys rolling their eyes as she posed. Good times, good times!)
 
Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday!

24 comments:

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

You know, I have never made a pillow but your last posts are very tempting! To keep or not to keep, that is the big question regarding some projects we make... Happy Birthday for your big girl!

grapes and hearts said...

Whoop whoop to the birthday girl!

Jayne said...

Darn quilting! And those brothers! I can relate having four brothers of my own!

josiekitten said...

I just saw this on Instagram and headed across here to find out more! I love it! What size are the little squares? 2.5"? I would love to know how you manage to keep all the seams in line.

Angie in SoCal said...

She looks so happy and delightful. Happy Birthday to your daughter. Love the pillow - the quilting and piecing on that one is perfect. Actually I can't see what's wrong with the other. Blessings,

Southern Gal said...

Happy birthday to her!

My grandmother used to say she loved sewing, she just didn't love sewing the second time. ;) Love/hate relationship with that seam ripper.

Katherine said...

As always, loving your scrappy finishes, Amanda Jean! I understand the temptation in keeping that sweet pillow. ;o)

Wow! How can Miss A be 10 already? Oh, my goodness, how time flies! Congratulations to you both on the achievement of the double digit milestone. :o) Happy Birthday to your gorgeous girl!

Bernie Kringel said...

Oh, your daughter looks adorable. She is looking like you in this picture. I love her dress.

Great scrappy projects. You have a talent for putting the right fabrics (colors and values) together - I envy you!

Lorna McMahon said...

Your patchwork projects are all beautiful. I especially love that pillow! And happy birthday to your sweet girl! Enjoy your weekend with family!

Cathy Tomm said...

Love your pillows. I need to make one or two but never get them done. Cute Girl being a girl love it.

Judy said...

Happy birthday to you daughter and you! (I always wish the mother happy birthday too because of all the work it takes to get a healthy baby into this world and then raise them.) Ah, brothers. Tell her to ignore them they are just goofy older brothers!

The seam ripper - probably the most dislike and essential tool in any seamstresses tool kit. You will have to let your aunt have a stroll through the scraps so you can do some stash busting and enable her for those middle of the night inspiration.

Cut&Alter said...

I totally understand why you don't want to give that gorgeous cushion away!! Love your daughter's pose!

Kelly Cline said...

Love making pillows! They give me a fast sense of accomplishment! I especially love your 10 year old picture. Hold that close, they grow up way too fast!

MyLittleBlueDog said...

Adorable daughter! Happy birthday!

Amy said...

You actually gave away a pin cushion?? So proud of you!! It's so hard to give our makes away. But exciting for the recipient.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Happy Birthday to the birthday girl. I hope she has a wonderful day. Your pillow is great.

Karen said...

Happy Birthday,10 year old! (I love your fun pose :) Tell your mom to be very careful with her sharp seamripper around those sweet little fish!

Anonymous said...

very pretty and I love the goldfish ^^
Happy birthday to your daughter - double figures is an important b'day

Margie said...

I'm in love with that goldfish block. Can you possibly give me the name of it so maybe I can track down some instructions? I never have enough seam rippers. Sometimes think I need to tie one around my neck. Happy Birthday to the daughter. Enjoy her day as they grow up way to fast!!!

Marla said...

Your patchwork pillow is picture perfect!

liniecat said...

Yes that cushion would be hard to part with, its so cheerful to look at! So lovely.
Our bairns grow up so fast don't they. After 10 years you look back and realise how fast the years have flown by - but such a lovely young woman is blossoming, so that is a double joy for you all

Quilt n Queen said...

You are always productive Amanda Jean...and I always love to see your finishes. I'm thinking of making another Up UP and Away quilt that will be a real scrappy one. I've saved my binding clippings since I tested your pattern. Happy Birthday to your sweet young lady...my youngest grandgirl will be double digits next year...where does the time go???

Sherry said...

I love to see finished projects. I think I should make a scrap pillow like yours, it is so fun. I did finish a project, my binding is sewn on my Quirky Scrap Quilt, I should take a picture and share it here. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anita said...

Your pillow is gorgeous! I don't blame you one bit for keeping it. :)