Monday, December 01, 2014

mini trees! quilt

Happy December! I'm happy to share a finish with you today! This is a miniature version of my trees! quilt. I love how it turned out, and as usual, I want to make 100 more!
I always get nervous when quilting smaller pieces like this (how backwards is that?) because I am afraid that the quilting will look big and chunky and that it will ruin the piece. (I can find anything to stress out about, let me tell you!) One night last week when I was unable to sleep, I forced myself to get out of bed and work on something. Anything. This was the closest thing to being finished, so I quilted it and sewed on the binding in the wee hours of the morning while the rest of my household was asleep. Going to sleep at 2am isn't recommended, but it felt good to make some progress. Sometimes that's just how it goes!
Photography is sooo tricky in the winter! I trudged about 1/2 mile through the snow at a local park to get a few photos. That was an adventure in itself! I had to explain myself to the man who was grooming the ski trails. That was fun. Hahaha!
But, it was worth it! Right before my battery died, I snapped this photo. It's one of my favorites! (The background is an old picnic table.) I love the red polka dot binding, too! (Fabric is confetti dots by dear stella.)
The mini quilt finishes at 15" x 22 1/2". If you'd like to make one of your own, I wrote up a pattern and it is available for purchase here.
 
Happy Monday to you!
 

37 comments:

Jean Burke said...

So, So cute!!! Thanks for sharing - the pictures are great - worth the walk!!

Rita said...

Beautiful!

Bith the photos and the quilt.

Crafty Ashley B said...

So pretty! Going to look around my office at work to see if I could make one to fit somewhere!

Anina said...

Cute, cute, cute!

Quilting Grannie said...

Amanda, I am making the Trees quilt for my grandson who just got married. I am adding a row of trees at one side and across the bottom to make it queen bed side. I saw on one of your blog comments of how you bind your quilts. It looked much easier than what I have done for years. Can you tell me what issue it was on, so I can print it out. I thought I would remember, but there is just too much info going in right now. Thanks a lot. Love your blog, it is about the only one I read any more!
Barbara Galloway

Di~ said...

Very Very Very Very Very Very Darling!

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a pretty quilt... and great photos!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

So sweet!

Angie said...

Love this little quilt!!!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

It is gorgeous! You should be happy with it, and the photo on the picnic table is perfection.

Unknown said...

Love the quilt and the photos! You have a great 'eye' for these things!

ChezVies said...

Love the trees Amanda.

Debbie said...

Super cute and colorful!

Kathleen said...

So cute! I put the pattern on my Craftsy wish list :)

Laney said...

Happy Monday to you, too and how fun is this little quilt!? I love minis and this one is so festive. Love those snowy shots ;)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats cute ! After all that trudging - you at least got hot chocolate right?

Lisa said...

This quilt brought a smile to my face. Literally! Fun, cute, great fabric and polka dots - its all that!!!

Kay said...

This is a really fun quilt. I like the close up shots a lot so we can see how it is all put together. x

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is Super cute! Thank you for sharing always great ideas and inspiration! happy December! x Teje

SewPsyched! said...

I'm pretty sure that my neighbors peek through the curtains and heartily enjoy my quilt picture schenanigans!!
such a fabulous little quilt, simple and cute and yummy!! XX!

Vicki Sews said...

Love it!

margaret said...

this has worked equally as well as a mini. How good are you, I photo in the house when it is cold!

Suzanne said...

I have a crush on the photo with the boots and your purse as well as the mini. I love feet shots I'm happy you made good use of your awake time and hope you slept like a baby afterward.

Lorna McMahon said...

This quilt is as cute as can be! And those mini trees would make a lovely runner. The pictures were so worth the trudging!

KathyinMN said...

Worth every step for the picture! Great quilt, thanks for sharing it, and your story about it. Glad to know i'm not the only one who gets up and sews in the middle of the night.

Terri said...

This really is such a wonderful project! I love it! Can't wait to make one for our house too. Going on photo-shoot adventures is fun, isn't it!

Megan Collins said...

So cute! Perfect for the holidays!

Dominique said...

It's a perfect miniature quilt. Love your colour choices!

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

Oh... so beautiful! I love your designs and your pictures! Yep, staying up pays off if only there is enough Coke to keep me up the next day.

Melissa Corry said...

That is so cute!!! Love it!!

Carol E. said...

Love it all! The picnic table shot is great. How did you attach the quilt to the side of the barn?

Unknown said...

This is so sweet. I have this pattern and am anxious to make it. I'm thinking it could be adapted to a table runner, mug rugs or place mats. Now, to find some time!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Oh, the green plaid tree!

Marsha L said...

I love your tree pattern and all the potential it has - from runner to quilt, and who knows what else!

Jewells said...

Dare I say??..this quilt instantly reminds me of the Dr Suess book..."The Cat in the Hat". So cute!

Nedra said...

Love this pattern! I've now downloaded it from Craftsy :) thanks so much!

Darcy said...

You pick the best colors! Love this!