Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Merry Christmas Eve!

Merry Christmas Eve! I hope you are/were able to enjoy some lovely time with family!
I finished a few mini mats in the past few days. I love having projects to bind...it helps me to sit still for a few minutes, which is especially important this time of year. (If my hands aren't busy, I can't sit!) I wasn't planning on making this mini, but I came across the fabric combo and I thought it was too good to pass up! I love these fabrics together and simple is good! As are red polka dots. :) It is scrap project #97/101.
I hand quilted this one the other night at my son's jazz band concert. Hand quilting to live music is great! I am in love with this color/fabric combo, and I really, REALLY want to make an entire quilt like this. I am contemplating how reasonable/unreasonable that is. Actually, I know how unreasonable it is, but I'm trying to figure out a way to justify it in my head anyway! This is scrap project # 98/101.

Both of these mini mats were made with scraps from Modern Textiles, so they are extra special. I love making a mini (or two) to commemorate a trip.
I thought I would share this little trick. When I hand quilted it, I stopped stitching one round before the outside, added the binding, THEN added the last round of hand stitching. That makes the last line of quilting much easier to place. I just love a hand quilted mini! I can see making many more of these...
Now that the minis are done, I'm looking forward to settling in with my pineapple quilt. It's going to be so fun to hand bind this one! There is SO much to look at while I stitch.

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my blog, cheering me on and leaving encouraging comments. It really, truly means so much! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!! xoxox

34 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Enjoy binding your wonderful colourful pineapples!

Teresa S. said...

I've loved seeing your scrap projects and these mini mats are just great. I'm inspired to make some in the coming year! Merry Christmas to you and your family! Thanks for the joy you've spread to your readers this year. :-)

molly b quilts said...

Thanks for sharing and inspiring this year! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Kat said...

Merry Christmas!

Sarah Craig said...

Merry Merry Christmas to you and yours, Amanda Jean! Thanks for all the inspiration you gave us this year!

Anonymous said...

EVERY SINGLE TIME I stop by your blog I am inspired to sew. Thanks you so very much for sharing and spreading joy through fabric:) Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Karen said...

Your quilts are always so fun and happy and they inspire me to go sew every time I see a new finish.
Merry Christmas to you and hoping you and your family have a healthy and happy New Year.

Daytona Damsel said...

I like these little mini quilts. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas,

Debbie

Mary W Quilts said...

That little Dresden pin cushion is adorable! Merry Christmas!!

Quilting Grannie said...

Merry Christmas! I am piecing your Trees quilt for my grandson's wedding gift. They got married without letting family know. I also have your pineapple pattern and I want to make it next. That will be a while though. I am not as fast as you are. LOL

Svetlana said...

Merry Christmas AmandaJean. Your minis as well as your pineapple quilt are amazing.

Stitchin At Home said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! I love your mini's. I am up early, putting ham in the oven for brunch and waiting for others to wake up. Now I want to hustle down to my sewing nook and whip up some cute mini's to hand bind while enjoying the rest of the day! Oh how you inspire me!

the amazing jelly fish said...

Thank you for sharing with your blog. (I made the thread catcher finallly and cannot get over how cute and useful they are- thank you for that as well). You inspire me with every post, even though I think I will alwAys be a crazy quilt top maker (cause making straight perfect lines while sewing just doesnt always happen, your use and love of scraps is always enjoyable.

FlourishingPalms said...

Such lovelies you always manage to create! I love your style. Merry Christmas, Amanda Jean! I hope you have a wonderful, memory-making day with your family. Blessings.

Little Quiltsong said...

Love your minis, especially your hand quilting on the log cabin block.

Sally Hurst said...

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and a Happy 2015! When you get a chance can you tell us how you quilted the mini log cabin? What thread did you use and did you use big stitches? Thanks!

Kate said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours and best wishes for 2015!

Lorna McMahon said...

Getting to know you and seeing all your beautiful works this year has been a pleasure and I am glad to count you as a friend. Looking forward to spending the New Year with you. 2015 is going to be awesome! Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

You hand quilted stitches are PERFECT! Which thread did you use? I hope you and your family had a Merry Christmas...

gibbygoo56 said...

I am loving the pineapple quilt. I love red and yellow! And those fabrics are sending this over the top for me. YUMMY!

I hope your day was Merry and your New Year is bright!

Di~ said...

Merry Christmas Night! You have GBA good binding attitude! :) nice work here...

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas and the best wishes for 2015 for you and your family!!!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family form Queensland, Australia! (Help! I am meltinnnnnnng!)
I work for home and your blog keeps me company and keeps me smiling - thanks so much! Have a great time with your family!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family, best wishes for 2015!

Lisa H. said...


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours! Thank you for your inspirations and for sharing your love of scraps! I really love the colors in your second picture. Lovely! I'm going to put making a few mini quilts on my 2015 to do list.

Marie said...

Love all of these projects, and your Pineapple makes my heart sing. Merry Christmas!

Carli The Quilter said...

Such a cute log cabin block. Love the dark embroidery thread quilting.

Clair said...

Those look great, and a great way to use up some scraps.

Kelly Cline said...

I longarm all day, so I'm always thrilled to have binding projects. I like to make a bunch of potholders just to have something to hand stitch at night! Isn't it crazy that we can't keep still. What's with that??

Andrea said...

That color combo of your hand-quilted mini is amazing!! I think you should go ahead and do a whole quilt, no matter how unreasonable it seems!

janequiltsslowly said...

Love your minis. Such a good idea on the final round of handstitching. Hope your Holidays are joyful

Unknown said...

Your projects are awesome. Blessings Always Mtetar

Anonymous said...

Love the mini! The contrast of the thread really adds interest to the design. What type of thread did you use?