Monday, September 08, 2014

fourteen

My oldest son turned 14 (four-teen!!!) yesterday. He has wanted a sew together bag for a LONG time and I finally made him one for his birthday in his signature colors, orange and gray.
This is the 4th sew together bag that I've made to date and I have another one in progress at the moment. They are time consuming and I almost ALWAYS break a needle toward the final stages of assembly, but they are so worth it! Pattern is available for purchase here.
There are plenty of spaces to fill, which appeals to my trinket-loving boy. He immediately filled it with some special Legos. I love that he is so excited about something hand made from his mama.
My husband remarked that my outfit matched my sewing project. It is funny, because that seems to happen all. the. time. (Does that happen to you, too? Or is it just me?)

This is scrap project #85/101!

We had absolutely gorgeous weather here over the weekend and fall is definitely in the air. I started a new knitting project that I've wanted to try for a LONG time...like 6 or 7 years! I'm attempting to make some felted bowls using a free pattern from hither and yarn.
So far, so good! I've been knitting socks on size 2 needles, so knitting on size 9 needles feels like coloring with giant crayons. It's been fun to start (what should be) a quick project. I'm hoping it turns out as good as it is in my head. I'll keep you posted!

Also, thank you so much for all the sweet comments on my 5 year finish! I sure appreciate it! :)

Happy Monday to you!

23 comments:

Geta Grama said...

So nice fabric choice for a boy. Do you use Jeans needles? It's all I use for bags (and for quilting too!) with great results.

Terri said...

14? WOW! That seems crazy how time flies. Love his new sew-together bag. My sister asked me to make one for her, which I haven't done yet. Such a great project!

Love making felted bowls too. They are quite handy to have around. Loving this fall weather too!

Paula said...

When I saw your title I thought you were saying it was your fourteenth sew-together bag! Whew! I've been seeing them everywhere and I love them.

Happy Birthday to your son! (He has great taste in gifts for sure!)

Rita said...

Congratulations to your son! My husband turned 47 yestarday!

GREAT BAG!

Linda said...

Love the bag. Would this be the same son you made the huge pillow (with similar colors) for in this post? http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2012/10/finish-it-up-friday-10512.html

That pillow inspired me to make a huge Texas Aggie pillow for my grandson. :)

Cara said...

I've just started a Baby andChild Sophisticate Sweater on size 9s. I don't remember the last time I used anything bigger than a 6. They feel huge to me, too!

Emmajane said...

Happy Birthday to your boy! His gift is great, he's sure to appreciate it!

Marianne said...

My daughter turned 25 yesterday. September is the month with the most birthdays, I read that somewhere! I've been wanting to make this bag but am too scared. I don't think I'm talented enough to handle it!

Unknown said...

Fun bag and happy birthday to your son, sure he loved his gift!!

Afton Warrick said...

You know you're doing something right when your son values a homemade gift about all other birthday requests. I got a kick out of your coordinated outfit too.

Marjorie said...

I am thinking of a variation of a bag like this for my motorcycle saddle bags. Thanks for another variation to tickle my design direction.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

On a recent sewing retreat, we were counting everyone who dressed to coordinate with their sewing - about half.
I love the two-colour sew together bag (neutral plus pop!).

Vicki said...

Great STB! Those colors are so wonderful.

Anonymous said...

85 scrap projects?? That is amazing. I love seeing the things you come up with to use up those scraps. Inspirational! Happy birthday to your boy. Loved the matching outfit and project. Really cute.

Timi said...

This together bag looks great!!!
Happy birthday to your son! :o)
(They grow soooo quickly...)

margaret said...

that is a bag and half with all those compartments would not like to have to stitch all those zips though. Long time since I saw knitting done on 4 needles, it seems the circular needle has taken over

Lisa C said...

I'm not nearly as accomplished a sewer as you but I agree - those bags take forever. I'm also just finishing my fourth one. I love the final product but I wish the most intensive step was at the beginning instead of the end!

Karen said...

What a lucky kid to get presents that his mom made especially for him! And what a great teen who openly appreciates what his mom makes for him! Love the colors!

Gunilla said...

I just love the bag, lucky son who will get it.
Congratulations to him from Sweden :-)

Nanaofck said...

You are way ahead of me with the Sew-Together-Bags. I have only completed one, and yes I had one broken needle. I recently finished a chevron quilt using your zigzag pattern. I wasn't entirely happy with my quilting but the pattern was great. Thanks for posting all the free tutorials and patterns.

sulu-design said...

I CANNOT believe your son is 14!!!

Suzanne said...

My son turned 12 on the 12th! Yay!!!

I'm on a felted bowl kick. I have made 15 over the last two weeks. I'm going to look at her pattern now too. Can't have too many!

Cecelia said...

It looks like you put a tiny scrap of fabric at either end of each zipper. I downloaded the pattern on Etsy, but don't see that included in the steps. Certainly give it a nice finished look. Can you explain what you did there?