Monday, September 15, 2014

dress up diamond pillow

Do you ever have a stack of fabric that you wonder what to do with, then one day, out of the blue you have a light bulb moment that marries the perfect idea to that stack of fabric? It's a fabulous thing when it happens and it's even better when you find the time to make that idea into a reality. I wish it happened to me on a more regular basis and faster, but you know.... :)
That's kind of what happened with this pillow. I had a cute stack of Wild fabric (by Dear Stella) since May. In July I had a light bulb moment....I could showcase the cute dress me fabric in the center of my diamond pillow pattern. This past Friday I finally sewed it up! It was SUCH a fun project (not to mention quick) and that was exactly what I needed.
The dress up fabric is appliqued on and then top stitched for durability. I worked with purples and violets because my daughter loves those colors and I thought they were a nice compliment to the blues/grays/blacks. I can't tell you how many times I squealed over making these teeny tiny clothes. I had SO much fun playing dress up! But those little heart shorts. Oh Mylanta. They are my favorite!!! My boys wouldn't readily admit it, but I could tell by the look on their faces that they thought they are pretty cute, too. (Shhh. Don't tell!)
When it came time to make the backing, I dug into the stash and unearthed this fabric. I don't have a lot of purple/violet in my stash and I really don't have that many larger cuts, so you can imagine my delight to find this fabric, which was EXACTLY the right length. I love it when that happens! Hurray for using the stash!

I'm so happy to have this one out of the old noggin and sewn up! My daughter saw the finished pillow, scooped it up and gave it a big hug. I'd call that success! I think it goes without saying, but I LOVE how it turned out, too!

Happy Monday to you!

36 comments:

Linda said...

Aww your daughter gave you the perfect compliment. I love that you made "paper dolls" with fabric - what a creative original idea. The colors are so striking. Great job!

Lynn said...

Adorable! I saw this fabric at my lqs I may have to do a little boy one, especially based on your boys reaction.

Marianne said...

O.M.G. I am not familiar with this fabric! Such a cute idea! Nice job on your pillow.

Tennjenny said...

THIS IS SO CUTE! ALL CAPS CUTE.

Cheryl Arkison said...

So cute!

Terri said...

What a cute pillow! I love the dress-up applique. Such a clever idea. I bet you were giggling the entire time you were making this ;)

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Thanks so much for sharing this fabulous project. Reading the post and perusing the pictures is the next best thing to making this pillow myself! : )

Ivete @ Gotham Quilts said...

This is sooooo cute! I love the way you quilted it too, wonderful job!

Emmajane said...

Cute, cute, cute! I just love how you have dressed up all the animals. I suspect a lot of people will be after this fabric now to do the same, I know I am!

Unknown said...

Love it and a hug for the pillow to boot! Doesn't get much better than that!

Carmen said...

I saw this on my IG feed and immediately thought of your daughter and her love of purple! It's absolutely adorable! I can see myself doing a bit of squealing, too, lol. xoxo

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

That is the perfect design for that fabric. The purple is fun...you don't find that color in many fabrics.

Daytona Damsel said...

OH HOW CUTE! And what a great idea. Your daughter said it all when she hugged it as soon as seeing it. Debbie

Lauren Deel said...

It's adorable, and I LOVE how you dressed up the animals!

magistra said...

Okay, seriously adorable! Thank you for sharing from that hyper-creative noggin of yours. I can't wait to try something like it when I get the chance :)

Alli said...

That's so adoooorable! The little clothes you made are perfect! :)

Sharito said...

It's really pretty, love the bunnies and the quilting in corners :) Thank you for the inspiration!

Gina said...

Darling cushion and it looks like it would be so fun to make!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Very very cute idea! I love the dress up details!

margaret said...

yes like other bloggers cute sprang to mind straight away what a lovely cushion you have created

Suzanne said...

I know Miss A is ober the moon with this pillow. Favorite color and dress up--what could be better?

Julie said...

Amazing! Your work is always inspirational and your delight in it is so refreshing. I don't think it is ever "work" for you. Your daughter is so lucky to have one-of-a-kind things to love.

Melissa Corry said...

So, so, so cute!!!

Carla said...

What a great use of the darling animal fabric! I recently won a yard of it on IG and have been looking for a good project to use it on....I know some little girls who would love this!

Frances Meredith said...

Crazy cute project!

JanineMarie said...

This is beyond cute. To play with paper dolls and fabric at the same time? Too much fun!!

Sarah Craig said...

That is so totally precious - I wish I had an ounce of your creativity! Hopefully reading your blog will let some of it rub off on me…… ;-)

Teresa S. said...

I love it! That looks like it was so much fun to make!

Lisa H. said...

Love this dress up fabric! Your daughter had the perfect reaction!

SuperMomNoCape said...

Our girls would have loved this when they were little! I love how you appliqued the clothes on them.

SueAnn W said...

This is absolutely wonderful! So simple but so elegant!

Marie said...

the clothes are just to stinkin' cute ...

Hannah said...

I have seen that fabric and never really figured out what to do with it...but you certainly did! This is adorable in every way!!

Di~ said...

Aww so cute and great idea! You're still the best.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I'm going to do my best to duplicate this for Charlotte. Then we should take pictures of Charlotte and Abby holding their pillows and exchange them.

Vicki said...

I just received my Dress Me fabric. Did you have written instructions for the clothes, or did you have to make it up as you went along? I'm so excited to make clothes for these little guys.