Wednesday, October 28, 2009
This is a coin quilt that I made with the leftovers from the filmstrip quilt. The fabric is Nouveau from Moda. I used an IKEA sheet for the sashing. Sheets are perfect for a quilt like this because you need long pieces, so if you cut it right, no piecing strips! It's so handy. I do love the way the sheets shrink up and crinkle, too. Although if you are making a bed sized quilt, it works well if you remember to add a few inches to the overall size ahead of time. Don't ask me how I know. :)
For the back, I used half of a duvet cover, also from IKEA. Yes, I'm a junkie! Isn't that a great pattern? The best part is I still have the other half of the duvet for another quilt back.
I love this fabric as binding, especially next to the white outside borders. I think it finishes off the quilt quite nicely.
The final quilt measures 50" x 67".
For some reason, I always forget that I do not like piecing coin quilts. I think because of the pieced strips, there is so much room for error (I do not have a perfect 1/4" seam allowance) and the length gets quite stretchy. I always do love the results, though.
A side note, today is grey, grey, grey, which makes photographing quilts quite a pain. But today, for the first time, I edited my photo in picnik. (though flickr.) What a nice discover that was! I know, I'm probably the last one to try it, but woo-hoo! I finally did. :)
Oh, and one more thing, in case you didn't see, there is a little tutorial for the ticker tape quilt here.