Monday, September 14, 2009
I don't know why, but I'm almost embarrassed about posting this quilt. It seems a little...obsessive. Ok, it seems a lot obsessive.
I started making it about a year ago. It uses the littlest of scraps. Most pieces are about 1" x 2". The quilt measures 35" x 46". I didn't dare count how many scraps I used. A lot.
The binding is a lime green print that I had in my stash. I would have preferred a solid lime green, but I didn't have any on hand. I thought about orange, but that would have looked hideous against my red studio wall, which is where this quilt is going to live. And I've decided that I'm going to stop apologizing for hanging quilts on my walls. :)
For the backing, I used a funky fabric that I picked up at IKEA. I thought it would suit this quilt nicely.
To make this quilt, here's what I did:
I made a quilt sandwich (backing, batting and white muslin for the top), then I pin basted it. For the patches, I picked a fabric snippet, and sewed it onto the quilt sandwich with my walking foot. I removed the basting pins as I added a block. All the fabric edges were left raw. So it was quilted and "pieced" at the same time. I had to shove the quilt though the machine 4 times for each little block that I added. Intense, yes, but I am pleased with the results. Next time, I'd make it doll sized, though.
Since this is hanging on my studio wall, I haven't washed it yet, but it would be fun as a baby quilt. Each washing would just add to the texture of the raw edges-perfect for a wee little one.
Thanks so much for your gracious replies to the quilts of valor call to help. I am working my way though the emails. Hopefully by the end of today you will have received one from me if you left a comment. I'm excited to be undertaking this project with your help! xoxo