Thursday, April 26, 2007

today's projects

1. cutting into this dictionary

2230 pages to use for collage, card making, etc.
but 31 years of knowing that one doesn't cut books apart is a stumbling block.
plus, how would I explain this to my little ones?
it does have water damage on the back cover...

and I already have a replacement...
but still, it seems wrong to destroy a book.

2. making some cards for a craft challenge that my sister sent to me....(the dictionary pages would come in handy here)

3. packaging up some goodies to send to the wonderfully talented jewelry maker, susan, of sulu-design. we are doing a swap that I am very excited about. I'll have to post pictures after she gets her package.

4. cleaning up my house a bit. it is looking a little neglected.

5. snuggling my kids - they seem to be feeling very clingy today. (yes, I have to put this on my to-do list. how sad is that?)

what are your projects today?

let me know if you would like me to send you some dictionary pages....and your letter preference, because that sounds like fun.

[I will send up to 12 packages out.]

13 comments:

Roxanne said...

I love cutting up dictionary pages!! I always snatch them up at the thrift store, because you know, the word I want is only in there once!! I also love the little black and white pictures that some of them have! I currently have about 5 sitting in a pile waiting to be cut up, so I guess I will pass on your offer!! My to-do list? Laundry, laundry, laundry. Yuck!

Sarah said...

Gimme an S!

I have a thesaurus and a grammar book at home waiting to be cut up, but no dictionary. I also picked up an algebra text book that I can't wait to hack to pieces!

My to-do list for today is to try not to start on a 1970's purse from a fantastic pattern my coworker just loaned me, but to finish up projects I'm going to be selling at a craft fair next weekend.

Anina said...

There are so many new English words now (e-mail, blog, etc.) that the dictionary is redundant anyway. Does that help alleviate the guilt?

To do today:
Clean the bathrooms (Yuck!)
Iron
Ripple!!!!
Laundry, laundry, laundry
Actually cook dinner...

Mama Urchin said...

I suggest cutting while they're napping. My to do list involves quilting the doll quilt for Katrina. That is if I can get the quilting foot on the machine!

Linda said...

I know what you mean about cutting things up. I have a hard time with pictures. I don't want to cut them up for scrapbooking. Needless to say the books I made for my nieces last year, I used all copies of pictures and the originals are still in tact. How crazy is that?
My projects today, well, not crafty. How about catching up on a little housework because I have been spending all my time sewing and neglecting the mess that is my house. LOL
My next project is Mady's outfit. That will probably be this weekend sometime. I have to mail it by Tuesday or Wednesday for her to get it by her birthday. It should only take a couple of hours to do, no biggie.

Anonymous said...

That idea of books being sacred and never to be damaged is a VERY hard one to overcome, I know! You can do it ;-)

sulu-design said...

Awesome post! First of all, I SO know what you mean about having to get over defacing books in any way. I've trained my students not to fold down corners to hold their places, not to bend book spines backwards, not to eat too close to books... but all that being said, I can't wait to see what you do with your chopped up dictionary! And onto the to do list: first on it is wrapping up your swap box (squeal!), then getting ready for a weekend away with the family. Enjoy yours!

Anonymous said...

i LOVE cutting books! using the dictionary is a great idea! (but i wouldn't show the kids... :)

Anonymous said...

i LOVE cutting up books - just don't let the kids see! :)

kirsten*can said...

sorry - i double posted!

Anonymous said...

So, what are you going to do with those pages?

I'd take a few for envelopes, perhaps. No hurry, though. I could wait for a hand delivery.

Clair said...

The 'c' page from the dictionary was fun...you can send me more pages anytime. I read part of the page over supper.

Anonymous said...

Look at you! How clever. I don't think I would have ever cut into a book like that, but hey, why not?
Can't wait to see what you come up with.