Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Myrtle's broken dishes quilt

This is one of the quilts that I made to showcase the prints in my Emma & Myrtle fabric line. I finished the quilt back in May, so that's why there is green grass and green leaves in my photos! :)
This quilt is based on the traditional broken dishes block pattern. I even added borders to this one....something that I don't do very often! It's good to change it up once in awhile.
The background fabric in this quilt is a solid Ivory by Connecting Threads. For a few of the blocks I used a light print from the line instead of the background print, just for a little more variety.
I found this cute (and oh-so-perfect) backing at my local quilt shop. I was tickled at how well it matched, and I was especially happy to find it the first day I went looking for a backing, since I was under time pressure to get it done. No time to shop around or wait for sales. Ha!
I quilted this on my Juki with a simple loop-de-loop pattern all over using cream colored Aurifil thread. I really ought to wash and dry the quilt now so it crinkles up nicely! The quilt is a nice lap size, measuring 66" x 88". Perfect for snuggling under with a good book or a knitting project. Or both!

There are kits available for purchase here, if you are interested. I have the pattern on sale here, for a limited time. (Sale price is $6.00, regularly $9.00.)

I looked back on my list today and the last quilts I finished were in May....I think that's a new record for me. Not one that I want to continue, either. I better get back to finishing some quilts....and quick!

17 comments:

Shirley JB said...

Awesome!
What kind of batting do you usually use? Your quilting is great!

Janie said...

Your new fabric line, Emma and Myrtle + broken dish pattern equals very cute.
The backing is perfect, I agree. Super.

Paige said...

Love the vintage vib! I just love it when you find the perfect backing!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

It's beautiful and shows off the fabrics so nicely - awesome work as usual!

Melanie said...

Lovely quilt. The border fits well here.

Gailavon said...

beautiful i love it

Alison V. said...

This is so simple and gorgeous!

Melissa Corry said...

This is so cute!!! I just love your beautiful new fabrics, they are so fun and perfect in this design!!

quilterchick said...

I love the simplicity of the design, letting the fabrics shine! Great job!

---"Love" said...

That is a beautiful quilt! I love how the pinwheels appear to my eyes, and then disappear and move to another place in the block. Your quilting and the backing are a perfect finish! ---"Love"

Darlene Hennlich said...

OOH, love it, wish I had more time to be at my sewing machine, but an outside of the home job has to pay for my fabric therapy, LOL

Patty said...

Beautiful quilt!

Unknown said...

This is beautiful!! But I have to tell you, I was gifted a quilt made in the 30's with this exact pattern. I hadn't been able to place the name of it until today! I am super grateful!

farmhousequilter8 said...

Love your new fabric. Paula in KY

Mary Marcotte said...

Broken dishes never looked any better. What pretty fabrics and pretty quilting. Love your finish!

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

It is gorgeous!

KaHolly said...

It is very sweet! Can’t go wrong with Broken Dishes!