Friday, October 06, 2017

home again

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
Yesterday I arrived home from a 10 day teaching trip to Florida. I visited 4 different guilds while I was there and it was a fabulous trip, but I am so happy to be home! I haven't sewn anything in about 2 weeks, so today I'm going to highlight some of the work of my wonderful students and a few things that people brought for show and tell. I hope you enjoy the inspiration!

All of these are photos of the students' work. Each one of these projects is based on quilt patterns from my book No Scrap Left Behind:
 Rene's start to a black and white subtle quilt. It's going to be a beauty!
Mary's blocks for a scrap happy rails quilt made with Minnesota fabrics. (The pattern is charm pack or layer cake friendly, so if you don't have scraps, you can still make the quilt!)
 Alissa's oversized ring me quilt made from mini charm packs. Another great use of pre-cuts!
Jenny's slopes quilt blocks made from Kaffe scraps. This is going to be stunning!
Jodie's teeny tiny (and oh so cute!) ring me blocks.
Linda's mash up two different quilts: hot & cold blocks using the ring me pattern. I love that she is mixing two ideas in one!
Pat's calm colored remainders quilt. I tried to talk her into making the pieces bigger, but she was smitten with the tiny ones. She definitely made the right choice!
Alejandrina's chain of diamonds blocks using leftover scraps from making quilts for Pulse. This quilt will have such a special meaning for her and I love that!
Joey's bright and cheery scraps that will be a part of a scrap happy rails quilt. I love how her fabrics match her cutting mat. :) I could share about 25 more photos, but I don't have time to edit them all!

I also wanted to share some quilts or quilt tops that people brought for show and tell. It's such a treat to see people sewing up patterns from the books!
Here is Betty's Nap Like an Egyptian quilt top. (Pattern in Sunday Morning Quilts.) This was part of a block exchange among friends. I love that idea and I think the colors are fabulous together!
Donna's Missing U quilt. (Pattern in Sunday Morning Quilts.) This was a group project among friends. Several ladies made blocks and Donna won them, so she turned the blocks into a quilt. Her quilting was wonderful, too.
Dee's checkerboard quilt, made mostly (if not all?) from Bonnie and Camille fabrics. (Pattern in Sunday Morning Quilts.) I really wanted to wrap up in this one! It's absolutely wonderful!
Jane's chain of diamonds quilt top in blues. (Pattern in No Scrap Left Behind.) It reminds me of a comfy and perfectly broken in pair of jeans. I love seeing this quilt sewn up using just one color family. So good!
This one blows my mind! Selina's version of the remainders quilt from No Scrap Left Behind. I love it sewn up in brights and whites. I totally want to copy this, since I wasn't going to steal it. Ha!
This is Karen's absolutely stunning version of the All sizes quilt from No Scrap Left Behind. Rather than setting the triangle blocks all in one direction, as the pattern shows, she turned them into chevrons. It's so soo good!
This is Linda's scrap vortex quilt from the quilt along I did a few summers ago. I've seen photos of her quilt, but there is nothing like seeing it in person! The quilt is huge and stunning! (All of the instructions for the scrap vortex quilt along can be found at the bottom of this page, if you care to make one of your own!)

Many thanks to each and every one who came to either my lectures, classes or both. I appreciate it more than I can say!
My puppies were pretty excited to see me yesterday, too! They are growing up too fast!
 
Well, that's it for me today! It's time to get reacquainted with my sewing machine!!!! It's been too long.
 
(A small disclaimer: I did my absolute best to keep the projects that people were sewing straight, but it is entirely possible that I have mis-labeled some. I apologize in advance if there are any errors or if I spelled any names wrong.)
 
Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thanks for joining me for finish it up Friday! Have a great weekend!

25 comments:

Mari said...

Ten days away is a long time, but it appears your students learned a lot! Happy weekend!

Julia Graber said...

By the looks of your post, you had a wonderful time and fun teaching. Thank you for sharing. And I too know the feeling of loving time at home with the sewing machine.

Brooke said...

oh my goodness sakes!!

what a great trip - thanks so much for sharing all the different ways your students interpreted your patterns!!

brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

I love seeing all of the quilts made by other quilters. I've made three of your quilts this year, two from No Scraps Left Behind and Scrap Vortex. I did start the triangle quilt and made most of the HSTs. I do love Karen's version of your quilt.

Janice Holton said...

These quilts are amazing! Thanks so much for sharing all the glorious color with us! WOW!!! Scrappy is my favorite!

Chris said...

Wow, I think every one of them is my new favorite!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Welcome home! That sounds like a fun and busy trip. :)

Lorna McMahon said...

Four workshops?!!! No wonder you are glad to be home. That does sound like a lot of fun and you must have met so many lovely folks. But it is good to be home!

Miss Alissa said...

You always need maybe a vacation from any trips you actually take away from home. Hooray for coming home!

Miss Alissa said...

You always need maybe a vacation from any trips you actually take away from home. Hooray for coming home!

Carla said...

It's so fun seeing these quilts and wip. Thanks for sharing your students' work. It must be too cool to see projects made from your books. Enjoy a weekend at home.

grammajudyb said...

How wonderful to see all the inspiration from your students and from the show and tell. What fun to see Linda's Scrap Vortex and a peekof her on the stage. I loved following along with your QAL and following Linda's progress too. Mine did not come to fruition as my colors are too medium and traditional. I am adding to my happy modern colors, there is a Scrap Vortex in my future for sure.

Susan said...

What a wonderful quilt show of your amazing patterns! I love the All Sizes quilt, with its different sized HST's-
very striking! And it's always nice to come home, isn't it?

KaHolly said...

It looks as though you had a wonderful time! Every picture of someone's work is inspiring!

Shannon said...

I love that feeling of coming home after being away! And I can just imagine the warm welcome your puppies gave you!! Enjoy all those snuggles :)

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm happy for you to be at home again, Amanda Jean! It was a long trip for you, and tough to be away from your family for so long, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing such a nice wrap-up of everything you saw. It's apparent that you enjoyed yourself as much as we enjoyed having you here! Hope you make it to Florida again sometime, and will think to "Ring Me" (get it? ha, ha). :-)

pennylanequilts said...

It's inspirational to see so many projects made from your patterns and tutorials!

Rene' said...

I can only imagine how happy your family (including the puppies) was to have you back home! We sure enjoyed having you in Orlando!! Thanks for sharing your time and talent with us in Florida. I am excited to continue adding to the blocks I started in your class.

tink's mom said...

Glad you got home all safe and sound. It was wonderful meeting you. You are everything I hoped you would be. Your class was eye opening and your trunk show inspiring. Thanks for taking the trip to Florida, we all appreciated the time you took from your family to share with us. Selina

beth s said...

So much inspiration! What a fun looking trip you had!

Southern Gal said...

I just love looking at everyone's interpretations of your quilt patterns. Too good!

I need to ask if there is a certain pattern you can suggest that would showcase the Good Neighbors fabric I'm hanging on to, scared to cut into???

Unknown said...

How wonderful to see these! Some of my favorites from your books or blogs that I want to try, also! Congrats to those Florida quilters and to you!

Snowcatcher said...

Gosh, I feel like I've been to a quilt show! I'm so inspired! There are some really beautiful quilts coming from scraps!

Anonymous said...

It was great getting to meet you in person and I enjoyed having your quilting input. My mini will be done soon and I will be sure to tag you. Thanks for being so genuine with your time and comments.

Linda said...

What fun to see all these quilts using your patterns! Glad you are back home and getting settled back in. We need to get together sometime. It's been too long. :)