Tuesday, October 22, 2013

scrap management (and some stash additions)

Last week was a crazy one! I started off the week in Iowa, where I taught scrap 2 management classes and did a trunk show at the Old Capital Quilter's Guild. It was great fun! I love meeting quilters. I love helping them use their scraps. More importantly, I love enabling them to keep even smaller scraps. I'm kind of a stinker that way....what can I say?
It's inspiring to see what the students come up with. The transformation of humble piles of scraps to quilt tops never gets old. So many scraps are well on their way to becoming beautiful quilts. Hurray!
On Tuesday I taught at Inspirations in Hills, Iowa. It's a super cute quilt shop that was formerly a general store. It has a great upstairs class room. (I wanted to move in.) The owner and her daughter were so hospitable. Thanks Nancy and Cassie!
The students did a great job of using their scraps here, too! A big thank you to all of the ladies who took my classes. I enjoyed it very much!
Oh! I'd be remiss if I didn't share this fabulous storage idea. One of the students stores her color coded scraps in decorative birdcages. Isn't that fantastic?

Of course I didn't come home empty handed.....
This pile was from Inspirations. I'm pretty sure Riley Blake is going to make me go broke. I can't resist their cuteness!
This pile was from Ben Franklin...if you can believe that. I love blue and green. And gray. SO hard to resist. I usually walk out of a store with a color coordinated pile. Do you do that, too?

So, as nice as it was to be out of the office (ha!) last week, I'm so happy to be home! The sewing machine has been humming this week. That's a very good thing.

21 comments:

Cathy said...

Do you have a limit on the distance you travel for trunk shows and workshops?

Unknown said...

Was at a quilt retreat this weekend and there was this wonderful woman there who was 85 years old that saved every scrap, no matter how tiny. She was making a wonky, triangle scrap quilt from the triangles left over from other's cuttings. She was amazing. You would have loved her!

She took one look at my string blocks and zip, zip, zip, rearranged them into an incredible design. Too bad I was already half way done adding setting triangles to put them on point.

Linda said...

You DID have a busy week, my friend! Sounds like fun, though. I've been making baby bonnets from my leftovers from other projects this week. It is nice to use up some of my little leftover pieces of lace and ribbon and rickrack and other little trimmings. I have an overabundance of that kind of stuff. I'm doing a craft show at a friend's house in a couple of weeks. Let me know if you want in, she might still have space.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful fabrics for your stash, love the birdcage idea

Suzanne said...

I'm glad you admit that you are a scrap enabler. Isn't that the first step? :-)

As for your additions? What's a little more fabric in the grand scheme of things?

Rita@PinPrickedFingers.com said...

I'm glad to hear you leave with coordinating fabrics! When I shop with friends they always laugh at the sheer volume of the fabric I buy! I just can't seem to buy one lonely fabric, it needs lots of friends to play with until I cut it up and join it to new friends!

Vicki said...

Love the bird cage idea! You new bundles are wonderful! Welcome home!!

Anonymous said...

I've been playing in my scrap box the past fortnight, and it has been great fun. Please come across to my blog and have a look. I would love to know if I could pass your class!

Nini said...

I'd like to repeat the first question...how far would you travel? I'd love to take a scrap reducing class, I need it! Thanks!

Melanie McNeil said...

We were glad to have you in Iowa. Your trunk show and presentation were a lot of fun. Thanks for coming.

Amanda Jean said...

Nini,

I've traveled as far as Pennsylvania. If your guild (or a local quilt shop) is interested just let me know. We can discuss details. :)

AJ

Jeneta said...

Haha! But you are such a nice stinker!! I've been working on reducing my scrap pile (I haven't really seen an effect yet, but I sure am enjoying it!). Deep down I think it's so that I can buy more fabric, but I don't say that out loud!!

Teri said...

Yep, since I bought your book, I have been saving scraps. I love the birdcage storage idea.

Annalia said...

I saw some cute Bonnie and Camille goodies in there too. I need to get me some of that!

Looks like a fun time at your classes...someday...

Annie said...

Beautiful, scrumptious scraps....wish I could go to a course like that with you

Kay said...

The bird cages look gorgeous, if I had the room I would have those as well!

margaret said...

you have been busy, some lucky students have benefited from your class.

Anonymous said...

I believe the fabrics from Ben Franklin! In Lemmon, SD, there's one and I spent a fortune there, plus so reasonably priced! Sounds like you had a great week.

scientician said...

Scraps really appeal to me for quilting. It's been a long time between quilts for me, but I'm saving up lots of scraps from clothes I'm making for my wee one to make her a quilt down the track. I love the old becoming new and that the quilt can tell a story as well as be something to snuggle under. Love that you're enthusiastic about it as well. I really enjoy watching all your quilts come to life through the blog.

Cyndi said...

Ben Franklin? Ben Franklin? Wow. They've definitely come up in the world. There's one in Bishop, CA I always go to when we go up there to go fishing - but it's been a year. Now I'm looking forward to seeing what they have now!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Crossword fabric? Yes please!