Friday, August 30, 2013

the 'A squared' quilt

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
It's the last week of summer vacation here. Lots going on, and I still managed to finish quilting and binding this quilt. (Just barely, though!) I'm calling this one 'A squared'. Several of the scraps came from Anna and several of the blocks came from my scrap baskets. I love this color scheme so very much. It screams summer, doesn't it?
The squares are 4" finished. I just love plain patchwork. It's a classic and it's such a fun way to play with color and print.
I used this fun piece of Lucy's crab shack fabric surrounded by a large lime green border (to make it large enough) for the back. It turned out to be a great compliment to the front. I love fitting pieces and parts from my stash together like a puzzle. It's so satisfying to make it work.
I did lots of loopy quilting on this one. Two lines of quilting per row of patchwork. Again, no marking, I just eyeballed it. I had lots of practice from this quilt, so it went pretty smoothly.
I used Hobbs 80/20 batting inside. Lightweight and a little lofty, but it washes up so nicely. (I haven't had a chance to wash this one yet, though.)
I used a Kaffe polka dot fabric for binding. I'm loving that cerise color these days.
The quilt is my favorite lap size...60" x 72".
 
This is scrap project #7 out of 101.
Hold on to your hats, folks. I am cruising.

Now it's your turn. Please link up your finishes! Thank you for joining me for finish it up Friday!

36 comments:

Beth said...

The colors are so great in your quilt!

Darcy said...

I love the classic patchwork too :-)

Carla said...

That's what I need to do. This is scrapalicious!

Svetlana said...

gorgeous quilt, I just love all the pretty colors you used here.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I love the mix of colors in this and the loopy quilting is so much fun too!

Janet @ Simply Pieced said...

This is a beautiful quilt! What size are your squares. I'm wanting to make a scrappy quilt and I started cutting 2 1/2 in squares, but I'm not sure I want to go that small.

Sarah Craig said...

Such a gorgeous quilt, AmandaJean! I love plain patchwork too - easy and effective! Whoop whoop!!

CapitolaQuilter said...

such fresh colors on a classic patchwork. Lovely finish.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Pretty bright colours and I totally agree, simple patchwork is beautiful and so satisfying!

Turid said...

So simple and sooooo pretty! I love it.

Di~ said...

I love this quilt! You are the woman!

Mihaela said...

Yes,indeed,this quilt is screaming summer!
A simple and lovely quilt!
I love it!

Unknown said...

LOVE the binding fabric. Thanks for sharing!

a maidenhair fern said...

I love a bit of Heather Ross thrown in here and there. Plain patchwork is classic.

Vera said...

I'm loving the binding too.

Mary said...

Love that backing! The binding really sets it off. Pull me on your roll. I have SOOO many UFOs.

Annalia said...

That laundry line backing is so dang cute!

hydeeannsews said...

with all those bright and fruity-looking colors, I think this is a great end-of-summer quilt finish. =)

Richard Healey said...

I love the loop quilting it is fantastic.

Richard and Tanya Quilts
Richard and Tanya Patterns

quirky granola girl said...

i love four inch squares for patchwork, too. this is a cute and colorful finish :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous quilt and I love the colours. The back is pretty fabulous too. I agree there is just something beautiful and classic about patchwork.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous quilt and I love the colours. The back is pretty fabulous too. I agree there is just something beautiful and classic about patchwork.

http://thankfullga447 said...

This quilt is so so pretty, I need some of your energy.

Anna said...

Love love the quilting. It's amazing!!! I cannot wait to get my juki back!

Tennjenny said...

I'm CRAZY about this quilt.

Kate said...

Love it! Its like a big bowl of mixed lollies :-)

Debbie said...

Darling quilt! I have yet to do a simple patchwork like that & I really should. Love your quilting on it too!

BethM said...

Hi Amanda Jean:). Its Beth from camp stitchalot. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors you used for this one! So bright and cheery!!

Lana said...

I love the binding! It makes the whole quilt EVEN cuter!
GREAT JOB!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is lovely - such summery colours :)

bec said...

Love it! Inspiring me to keep digging in the scrap buckets, as always.

Susan said...

Great quilt! I agree with you...it's hard to beat simple squares!

Christine S said...

This is beautiful! Patchwork squares are my favorite!!

Sherry said...

I love your quilt. It makes the quilt even better with the pieced back. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

michelle said...

i think my comment got eaten. at the risk of repeating myself, i am just curious how you go about creating your layout. it has a nice random feel. i just finished cutting a bunch of squares but have gotten stuck and am wondering how you approach your final layout. clearly i'm not used to so little structure :)

Lex said...

Yes, can you share how you approach your layout? Do you just grab different squares? I'm not great at just winging things, so I was curious how you do your patchwork