Tuesday, August 13, 2013

camp stitch a lot

Camp stitch a lot was a blast! Brenda did a great job at organizing the retreat and I am so happy that I got to be a part of it! I didn't take nearly enough photos, but that was because I was too busy taking it all in. That's a good sign, right?
I taught a slab class at camp. Each and every person did a fantastic job at building their slabs. There was no shortage of scraps to be sewn up, which was awesome! I loved seeing the different color schemes emerge.
Rossie taught a reverse applique method that I absolutely loved. It played well with slabs I had already pieced, so I combined the two. Adding red and white polka dots never hurts.
Jacquie taught a slice and insert class. I loved using 1" strips for piecing. They finish at 1/2", which is such a great size. Of course I had to add a strip of scraps in the piece because I LOVE tiny scraps! Did you know that?
Dan taught a curves class and I struggled with it quite a bit. Not so much with the curves, but because I used colors SO very far from my comfort zone. It took me a long time to get it to this point, where I actually kind of like it. I'm certainly not giving up on this piece. I will continue to persevere! I should have just stayed in my comfort zone and went with some great colors like he did in his class sample. I love that quilt!

It was a treat to see quilts in real life that I had only seen on line. Rossie made this one back in 2009. I remember reading about it on her blog when she made it. Seeing it in real life was fantastic, because photos just don't do a quilt justice. Rossie's outfits matched her quilts all weekend and I may have teased her about it. Just a little bit.
Dan brought his fabulous and famous dinosaur quilt. It is an AMAZING quilt. There are really no words to describe it. I'm pondering how I can use this technique to make a quilt and make it mine. So much potential in a single idea.

Friday afternoon the weather was gorgeous so we took a few of my quilts out on the lawn and worked on our bindings. It was every bit idyllic as it looks. Perfection.

Of course I had to do a little shopping at Pink Castle Fabrics. Don't be fooled, this isn't all of it. :)

Many thanks to Brenda for hosting such a great weekend!

27 comments:

Linda said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Glad you enjoyed your time!

Clair said...

Reminds me that I have to get started on a new quilt.

Suzanne said...

What a banner line up of teachers!

Potter Family said...

random question...when you go and buy fabric, like this, a lot at a time...how much of each do you buy? 1/2 yard? and just kind of small to medium prints? Just curious what your style is...because whatever it is, it is FANTABULOUS!!!

Mama Pea said...

Looks like a really great time. I would love to go to camp sometime. Glad you had such fun! I think your color scheme will work out. Keep working it. I like it!

Unknown said...

Just sitting in the grass on a quilt, working on a quilt, no inturuptions. Now that's a dream! Glad to hear you had a wonderful retreat. I'm not the only one who cant come home empty handed! I don't know any quilter who can! Lol

Vicki said...

It looks like such a good time. Thank you so very much for sharing your pics with all of us.

Anonymous said...

Just love your block with the red and white polka dots. Loving the quilts too Thanks for sharing Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

Maja said...

I would like to have been there!
so much fun going on, it seems!

Chase said...

Love all the photos and design walls... Did you get your quilt bound? Can't wait to see its all finished...

Emma Watson said...

These quits are looking fantatsic due to outstanding colors.

Furniture Manufacturing Board

April (Polkadot Sparrow) said...

Everything looks lovely but that dinosaur quilt is something else!

I just made plans yesterday to check out Pink Castle on my way to Detroit for a concert this weekend. Small world. :)

So glad for all the fun you had!

Cheryl Arkison said...

I want to hear more!!! And so fun to see that quilt of Rossie's. I can't believe its been that long since she made it, I remember it so well.

Robin Woods said...

Potter Family I have exactly the same question. I don't always have a specific project in mind when I buy fabrics, and I'm always freaking out I either won't have enough of something once I do land on a project idea, or I buy so much I get sick of it. Any response? Thanks!

KateKwiltz said...

Sounds like you guys had fun!Love that green slice block!
I just looked at the map -- Pink Castle's shop is only about a mile from my brother's house. Walking distance! Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, so thanks for making me aware of it...I think. :)

MariQuilts said...

Sigh....sounds wonderful!!

QuiltsforHeroesFounder said...

OMG!!!! Such a fun blog! Beautiful projects! LOVE LOVE LOVE

Sophia1 said...

It's Sonia from camp!! It was so great to meet you and be table buddies! Hope I get to see you again sometime! I LOVE your slab technique - that was a great class! Thanks for everything!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Sounds like an ideal sewing time! Love the fabric goodies you brought home!

margaret said...

what a wonderful time you had, how great it would be to take part in something like this. Lots of pieces were made, your left over scraps are very tiny. By slabs do you mean just different sixes strips?they are very.
Some lovely fabrics, like another commenter I am also interested in the quantity you buy of each fabric

Live a Colorful Life said...

Looks like a fabulous weekend!

Maggie said...

Wow. What a fantastic weekend. Heaven I say! I love Dan's dinosaur quilt. So clever! Xx

Cindy said...

Amanda ~ Thanks again for a wonderful class. I had lots of fun working outside of my box. I am still working on my slab and I will send you a picture once it is done. I am going to work harder on using my scraps. :)

Unknown said...

Amanda-I finished my low volume Sunday morning quilt. This is the first time I completed a queen size quilt in one week

Unknown said...

Amanda-I finished my low volume Sunday morning quilt. This is the first time I completed a queen size quilt in one week

Unknown said...

Amanda-I finished my low volume Sunday morning quilt. This is the first time I completed a queen size quilt in one week

Michele said...

So very jealous here. It looks like it was the perfect weekend for everyone.