Thursday, May 15, 2008

a (pink) quilt in a day, part 3


I know I said that my next monochromatic quilt was going to be brown, but after all the disappointment in my quilting this week (see previous post), I took out my pink scraps and got busy.

This is for my monochromatic challenge and my quilt in a day series. What can I say? I like to be efficient. The quilt top measures 55" x 70". What amazes me is how many pink scraps I still have leftover. I think I may need to make a pink version of this quilt.

As far as time frame goes, I started piecing this on Monday night around 8:30 and I finished piecing it Tuesday night around 10:30. The making of this spanned about a 26 hour period, but I figure that's close enough to count for a day. And yes, I did eat, sleep, cook and clean. :)

This is version 3 of the house of girls quilts. You can see version one here and version two here. I think that the third time is a charm. I've definitely got to keep this one. 

Many of you have asked for a tutorial on this type of piecing. Since it is so random, that would be hard to do, but I'll try to explain my process. Basically, I take 2 pretty pieces of fabric, sew them together, press the seam open, and add another scrap of pretty fabric. Keep adding pieces randomly in an arrangement that is pleasing to the eye. Once you have a fairly large piece, set it aside and repeat. When you have several larger pieces, arrange them on the floor (or design wall) and fit them together like a puzzle. At this point, you may need to add in a fabric here and there to make it all fit. You can also chop off some ends that are too long. The more variety of fabrics, the better. But you also want to limit your color palette, so it's not chaotic. There is a fine line in achieving that balance, I think. This type of piecing is very fun and freeing, so if you haven't tried it, I would encourage you to do so.

One more thing: thanks for all your kind words and suggestions on what to do with my batting disaster. I will keep you posted on what I decide to do.

41 comments:

Anina said...

Pink. Love it. A lot.

Lori Jolley said...

Your pink quilt is so pretty! I might have to try something like it!

Blondie said...

I love this quilt! So pretty!

Crafty Mama said...

I just love your quilts. I'm not a huge fan of pink myself, but every pink quilt you make is so beautiful!

dutchcomfort said...

Pretty in Pink!

lera said...

This quilt took you 26 hours? You went over by 2 hours? That's it! I'm not reading your blog anymore. LOL!

It's lovely. And nothing short of what I have come to expect from you, dear Amandajean.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Pretty. I think I'll have to give it a try.

Sarah said...

Again, I am SO, SO impressed by this!! You are amazing! I love how your style can alternate between modern (this & the squares quilt) and traditional (stars below). You go girl!

Clair said...

Nice quilt. I think I am getting to like pink more and more. Of course, it has to be the right shade or tone. I don't like mauve like pinks.

MichelleB said...

Looks great! Very impressive, as usual. That's a neat style. I need to make more quilts so I have more scraps! lol

Linda said...

I like this quilt a lot, too! Very pretty!

Dandelion Quilts said...

I love all of your quilts. This pink is so sweet.

Liz said...

Yeah! Good for you to not let the batting disaster slow you down!

Amy a.k.a. dragonryder4 said...

How lovely :) I love this quilt !

Michelle Payne said...

Hopefully, someday I will have a nice stash of scraps to make one of these type of quilts.

Beautifully done Amanda!

Anonymous said...

It's very pretty! I love the free-form quilting method. I might have to try that for my next quilt.

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty. I love pink, and this one just sings. The randomness is fantastic.

cookie said...

love it! love pink!
also busy with a monocromatic pink quilt!!(mine will not be done in a day..)
love

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt top. Will definitely try out your method as I can never get a nice balance of colours. It's beautiful!

tess said...

it's a delight, you astonish me as ever, so sorry to hear about your batting disaster. xx

Stina Blomgren said...

Delicate quilt...I love it...yet simple and with a fantastic fabric combination...wow!!

Anonymous said...

Re: previous post -

Is there some sort of white fabric paint you could dab over the brown mark?

Karen said...

Amandajean...as always, you've created a gorgeous quilt. This pink one and the others you liked to are great!

Allison said...

I love that quilt.

a friend to knit with said...

sweet. lovely. beautiful.
you are totally amazing!

jacquie said...

Beautiful! Are you sure you need MORE pink fabric?

Blakely said...

Wow! An other amazing quilt.

Rebekah said...

This is beautiful! I will have to try this technique out sometime : )

Anonymous said...

I do love this technique. Maybe after I finish my first quilt I might just have to try this one. You have been the main reason why I am even trying my first quilt. I look at your beautiful scrappy quilts and LOVE them so much. They are the exact style that I love. Thanks for inspiring so many of us and sharing the ups and downs. I've learned SO much from reading your blog. And I also have to say... due to spending way too much time on the computer I have recently scaled down the number of blogs I check daily to only 3 and yours was definitely one that I do not want to miss! It will never leave the list!

Tine said...

What a great way to piece a quilt! One day when I have enough scraps.... Maybe I'll just have to cut up some of my stash, but somehow it's just not the same :-)

Your quilt is beautiful, I'm amazed you did that in one day!

Lina said...

Oh this is gorgeous - love the pink, just the right amount! Sorry to hear about your batting disaster - how frustrating!

Philigry said...

i think you love pink as much as I do! as always, i adore th is one!

Maria Teresa said...

I love your pink quilt!!!

Deb said...

I've really enjoyed your quilt in a day series and all of the projects you have made. Thank you for sharing!

Katherine said...

You are so talented, Amandajean! I love your monochromatic quilts. The uniqueness of each one is so appealing because of your random piecing style and the variety of fabrics you use. Your pink quilt is a real beauty and my new favourite. I have got to try this method of piecing for a quilt.
You continue to inspire me.

Freda's Hive said...

Its really darling. I love the randomness of it and the color. Good job.

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and have to say that you are an amazing quilter! I just finished my last session in a three week class and I am already addicted to quilting! Yours are absolutely stunning.

Elizabeth said...

Looks great!!

Solidia said...

This quilt is soooo pretty! Well done! I can't wait to see more. :)

sulu-design said...

Now this, I'd say, is the work of a quilting genius. You have to have some serious, deep vision to put together something so stunning with no pre-planning. Amazing.

Lynda said...

This is a beautiful quilt. I bet it was harder to put together than it looks. Good balance of tones - excellent.