Thursday, August 30, 2007

exercising gets me into trouble: part 2

Yes, there is a part two.


I can hardly believe it myself.

Yesterday it was sunny and 75 degrees at 3 in the afternoon. Perfect summer day. And I am thinking, "how many of these days are left this year? We really need to go on a walk." The baby had waken from her nap and we had a few hours before my husband got home from work. So we again set out on a walk.


Things were going pretty well, there was a lot less complaining that the previous day and I was convinced that everything would be fine.


We were dropping off our electric bill and my son was playing on the railings right outside the building. I had just told him to stop screwing around and to get down. Not even 30 seconds later he is SCREAMING and he has a mouth full of blood. Thankfully he didn't knock his teeth out or anything, but he bit his tongue REALLY bad. I mean, like a flap cut open bad. One of the ladies that works at the utility came out and asked if we needed anything. (People are really nice in this town.) She brought us some ice and the bleeding stopped pretty quickly. He was really shook up about it. It was gross. So he has the cutest little lisp now, because his tongue has a pocket in it. (I am cringing even as I am typing this.)





So, yes, I am a slow learner.
It is another perfect summer day.
But I refuse to go on a walk.
I don't want to have to write a 3rd installment.
(Sorry if I grossed you out.)

22 comments:

Roxanne said...

Oh my goodness - just stay home and sit on the couch like the rest of us already!! :) Poor kiddo. That is going to hurt for a long time I'm afraid.

Anonymous said...

poor guy. hope he is feeling okay!

Sarah and Jack said...

Oh my goodness. That looks like it needs stitches??? Do you have a ped there that could look at it? (It worries me that it won't heal together properly inside the mouth like that.)

Anina said...

Ouch! You may want to have a doctor take a look at that. Mouths are not very clean and that may have trouble healing.
I wouldn't stop going for walks though. The bad luck is bound to stop.

Elizabeth said...

Poor little man! That looks like it really hurts. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. It is so hard to watch our little people get hurt. I know I beat myself up every time!

Tomorrow is another day!

Linda said...

Oh NO! Is that Z? Poor kid, that's gotta hurt! Give him a hug for us. Lots of ice chips for him!

Anonymous said...

oh gosh! I am laughing WITH you, really! You poor things! Walking is really good so don't stop! Just dont' stop and go anywhere – just walk :)

The poor little one! He's a troooper! I can tell he's brave :) Because that has got to hurt!

I think a doctor might suggest lots of nice cold yummy things for healing :)

Anonymous said...

Things have changed a lot since four days ago when you were in a funk.

Keep walking. This is how memories are made! (and character built, shall we add?)

But poor Zach. That's gotta hurt.

Amy Jo said...

I repeat....exercise = BAD, BAD, BAD.

Poor Z...that one deserves a popsicle, I think.

Hope he's feeling better.

carolyn said...

OW-EEEE
give him lots of ice cream!
and something stronger to comfort you too!

Heidijayhawk said...

oh poor sweet baby! just means that you should leave the babes with dad and go on your own!! heehee!

lera said...

That poor kid. No wonder he was screaming!!!!!!!!

Chara Michele said...

Ick, that did gross me out a bit! :) Poor kid, that must have hurt quite a bit!

CONNIE W said...

That looks like a very painful laceration and I know someone who had to have stitches in their tongue which was injured by biting it accidentally while eating, so it does happen. I hope it heals well and quickly. And I hope there are no more surprises in your life, at least only good ones. Take care now.

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

Poor thing! Did he need stitches? Do they even stitch tongues?

I guess that pretty much solves the exercise dilemma :)

Any advice on my egg white fiasco this evening? I'm in dire need of a seasoned bakers advice and I know you are quite talented.

Anonymous said...

wow dude. that is harsh. are you sure it doesn't need stitches? (do they not do stitches on tongues??) i hope you left him have popsicles for dinner! :)

The Calico Cat said...

OWIE!

Do you think he will listen when you tell him to get down again?

a friend to knit with said...

OH MY GOSH!!!
I am so sorry! hope it is healing....quickly!

Emily and Frank said...

Yowsers! When I was baby, I actually managed to bite all the way through my tongue. My mom was terrified because the nurses at the medical clinic said there was nothing they could do for it. Just give me some Tylenol. So I'm feeling your son's pain. But you end up with a really cool scar that will impress his friends.

beki said...

Ouch! I gasped out loud when I saw that photo!!

Clair said...

Even though mishaps happen during exercise, it is usually worth it. Did I ever tell you about the time my pedal fell off my bike? Or the time I got a nice abrasion on my knee while rollerblading?

Clair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.