Wednesday, October 29, 2014

I survived quilt market

I had the chance to attend quilt market in Houston over the weekend. I was gone for nearly 5 days, which is a LONG time for this homebody! Despite the drama-filled trip home, I made it back in one piece. My suitcase got lost (eep!) but it finally arrived on my doorstep (37 hours later) thanks to the UPS guy. I wasn't so worried about my clothes inside, but the fabric....THAT would have been hard to live without. Ha!
The highlight of quilt market is always the people! I got to meet/see people in real life that I've known on-line for years and years. It was so, so great!

Other things that I loved:
This stunning display of red and white quilts. I wish I would have spent more time looking at them. They were truly amazing.
I made this mini quilt for a friend, who was also at market, so I got to hand deliver it. I didn't know that it would fit into the market/show theme so well, but it just goes to show you that red and white is ALWAYS a good idea! :) The mini measures about 8 1/2" x 11 1/2". Each of those little blocks are about 1/2" finished. "About" being the key word. I am NOT a precision piecer.
I got to see my wonderful friend Tara and meet her adorable baby! He is the sweetest! I made him a little bib out of scraps that were originally Tara's, but they have been in my possession for the last few years. It was delightful to sew them up into a bib for her little guy. (I used this tutorial for the bib, but I tweaked the shape just a little bit to make it larger toward the bottom.)
(The bib is scrap project # 92/101!)
I roomed with and helped the ever-so-cute Vanessa of V and Co. with her booth set up. It was SO fun to hang out with her! The behind the scenes glimpse of what it takes to put on quilt market was a little bit staggering. It was certainly impressive and eye opening. Everyone works so hard!!!
Out of all the new fabric that I saw, this is the stuff that I am most excited about. The amazing Jen Kingwell has designed a line of fabric called Gardenvale for Moda. I absolutely love her scrappy style and her new fabric is sooooo good! I didn't get a photo of her whole booth (total oversight) but I did snap a photo of this quilt made from her new fabric line.
I absolutely love it! Layers and layers of scrappy quilts made by Jen were a sight to behold. I am going to try my best not to hoard the new fabric, but actually use it! We will see how that goes. :)
 
I could go on and on, but it's time to get back to the sewing machine! It's so good to be home.

22 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that must have been so much fun to see and experience - glad you got your luggage back with the fabric
!!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful quilt--hard to beat working with HST

Glad you survived your first quilt market

Unknown said...

I was wondering if you had gone! So glad you got the opportunity! Those red and white quilts got me inspired....just have to find the time. Thank you for sharing! :-)

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing the photos of Jen Kingwell's fabric.

my happy bluebird said...

Wow! What a fantastic opportunity! So glad your luggage was returned. The Jen Kingwell fabric is a must-have for me too :-)

KathyinMN said...

Had just a small fangirl moment when you said you roomed with Vanessa. I love her fabric line sooooo much.

Ok, I'm better now. Really. ;)

Granny Maud's Girl said...

Good luck with that resolution not to hoard fabric! I know I would struggle.

alison@the chainpiecer said...

Great post - thank you for showing pics of just the sort of things I would so like to have seen for myself - maybe one day...! Glad you had such a good time - always good to spend time with other quilty people. And very glad you got your suitcase back!

Jill said...

The huge display of red & white quilts is beautiful in your photo. It must have been breattaking in person. I enjoy glimpses at the market as I am not a professional. Thanks.

Rosa said...

Great you have been there,must be awesome.Thanks for the pics!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Wow -- of all the pictures I've seen of Jen's booth, this is the first time I've seen a pic of that HST quilt -- it's fantastic! Thanks SOOO much for showing it -- might have to go to the top of my list!!!

jblissenbach said...

Thank you for sharing your experience! So great to live vicariously through others ;)

I LOVE that black and white tote with green straps in the V and Co booth photo. Checked her web site and don't see a pattern or tutorial - do you happen to know if there is a pattern out there?!?! Thanks

lydiatorres said...

I am in love with the Lone Star in the V and Company booth. Have made Lone Star quilts for many years and that is the first I've seen with HSTs. The color selection is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. Lydia

Unknown said...

Oh how lovely is that Gardenville collection. I am going to buy it as soon as I can find it somewhere. Thanks for the pix.

Kim B. said...

The pattern for the black and white and green tote is the Poolside Tote by Noodlehead . . .

https://www.noodle-head.com/product/poolside-tote-pdf-pattern-2

She has a post up on her blog with all sorts of beautiful pics of the bag.

http://www.noodle-head.com/2014/10/poolside-tote-gone-lakeside.html

Linda said...

Sounds like you had a good time. Welcome home!

christaquilts said...

I'm so glad I got to meet you in person and get to know both you and Vanessa a little better. Until the next fun event :-)

Jan Marie said...

Sounds like you had a great time.

Unknown said...

What fun! :)

house on hill road said...

fun! i am hoping our paths will cross in the spring. ;)

Michelle@factotum-of-arts.com said...

Looks like it was a blast. I am so happy for you to get all the fabric back....that is exactly how I would feel :-)

Shauna said...

So many goodies you shared in this post. Looks like quilt market was fun! So glad you got your suitcase with the fabric back - would not have been good if that went missing.