Monday, November 11, 2013

home again

I'm happy to be home after a wonderful weekend retreat in Colorado. A huge thank you goes to Tara, for working her fingers to the bone to make this retreat happen, and for doing it so well!
There was a lot of prep involved before the retreat...but it's all worth it. I made these name tags at the last minute. Each one represents a wonderful lady that attended. We had such a great group this year, as always.

The subject of the retreat was a new class called "Make Good Choices: a color and fabric selection workshop." I was more than nervous (felt unqualified) to teach it, but I'm relieved that it went very well and everyone seemed to learn something. (phew!) I'm excited to have the first run of the class behind me and I'm looking forward to teaching it again, because it was a BLAST!
One of the activities at the retreat was making a ticker tape on canvas. No class of mine is complete without scraps! This is the smallest ticker tape I've made to date. I put the spool and thimble in the photo for scale purposes. It's so tiny and cute and squeal worthy. Since it's 3D the sides got patches, too. There is a tutorial if you would like to make one of your own. (I think you should!)
Angela of Mama Said Sew was kind enough to let us use her shop for a portion of the workshop. We had fun doing different fabric pulls. Combining fabrics is one of my FAVORITE things to do, and helping others get over their fears of doing so was extremely satisfying.
I started a new little scrap project during open sewing time. I'm excited to turn this into a sew together bag. Eeeee!
Since there was much ramp up before the retreat, one of my goals this week is to hang out on my couch to do a little decompressing this week, because I am completely beat. We shall see how THAT goes. It's good to have goals, right?
Directly opposing that goal, but also on the list for this week, I plan to clean up my craft room. We've lived here for 6 months now, it's time to set up my space properly. Maybe after I take another nap.
 
Happy Monday to you!

23 comments:

eva said...

Love your work space..... and i look forward to seeing the re-done room.

L-O-V-E the ticker tapes.... always!!
so many ideas in ticker tapes.

xo
always love your blog!!
eva

Annalia said...

Your space just looks like you've been using it. :)
Glad you had a nice retreat.

Joelle said...

Yay Amanda- You are wonderful!!

MariQuilts said...

Yes, have that nap....you've earned it!!!

Unknown said...

Rest and enjoy!

Vicki said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all! Now, you need a good retreat.

Denice said...

Thank you so much for sharing that craft room pic. All of our rooms look like that from time to time. Now I feel normal.

Anonymous said...

Well, after lurking all this time, I have to come out of hiding to echo the comment above me - Thank you for sharing the photo of your craft room, it makes me feel so much better! (Have a nice relaxing week :)

margaret said...

work space looks well lived in!!! rather ilke my daughter`s house, she moved in july and still rather untidy to put it politely!!

Molly said...

I'm glad to see a work room that resembles mine...just neater! LOL New reader enjoying your blog.
Molly

Jessica Christensen said...

I love your craft room. It's in a condition I can respect. Obviously, you have been working, working, working!

Molly said...

I'm glad to see a work room that resembles mine...just neater! LOL New reader enjoying your blog.
Molly

Suzanne said...

I could comment on how every single photo you posted exudes your wonderful personality and essence. Let's talk soon and I'll wax poetic about them!

Little Island Quilting said...

I love the state of your craft room...feeling a whole lot better about mine now ;-)

Mary Ann said...

Your craft rooms looks alot like mine! I have 7, yes 7, tops I need to start quilt (3 are QOV) plus I am working on a costume for next years Dragoncon, a quilt my daughter is designing for me, plus my Flickr group (Add a border) blocks need to be some time. To add to this I work full time! Help?

Linda said...

Your sewing room looks like you use it.
When I come home from Sunday to Thursday quilt retreat I do nothing but sleep for 3 days. I always go ahead and mark whole week off calendar.
Enjoy your blog. Rest up

Katiejane said...

A craft room isn't a craft room unless it looks "crafty". Love the tips of your shoes in that one photo. Are you standing on a chair for the shot? BE CAREFUL !!

Anonymous said...

Your craft room looks light and inviting... and is the end wall completely covered with (?) to use as a design wall? AWESOME!

Unknown said...

Yay! Mine looks like that too...but compressed into a smaller area...it's so hard to keep it neat when the very piece you just know you've got...and need right now...is in the bottom of the scrap bucket!

Linda said...

Glad you had a great time at your retreat. Choosing fabrics and matching them is one of my favorite things to do, too. Sometimes I do fabric pulls from my stash just for fun! :)

Also glad you are getting the chance to rest. I'm hoping to do that some day soon... well, it might not be as soon as I would like, but I'll get there...

My sewing room is looking very similar to yours, LOL. I've been getting ready for a craft show this weekend... nuff said... You should stop in. :) Let me know if you want the address. It's on Saturday from 9-3.

Unknown said...

Glad you had a good time at the Retreat, enjoy your nap.

Laura said...

I make a little squee sound every time you post about one of your ticket tape canvases. Sooo cute.

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm a relatively new subscriber to your blog, so I appreciate the link to your Modge Podge canvas tutorial. I absolutely love this! And your mini version is just too cute! Must add that seeing your sewing room pic made me feel very good about the condition of my room. Thanks for the love! :-) We all need a nice quilter to make us feel so good!