Sunday, June 17, 2012

scrappy Sunday-the men in our lives

Since it's Father's Day, Cheryl and I thought it would be fitting to share about the men in our lives and how they supported us (and continue to support us) in the writing of the book.

I read somewhere that if you are going to write a book it is very important to have your family and friends supporting you and fully on board with the idea. My greatest fear going into this was that I was going to put my family through the ringer. I was concerned about adding unwanted stress to my life and more importantly to my family. They are certainly more important than any achievement that I pursue. Now that we are on the other side of things, I can not tell you how unfounded that fear was. All in all, it was such a good experience. It was a A LOT of work, yes, but my family supported me, cheered for me and helped out along the way. We are stronger because of the whole process, and I couldn't be more thankful.
This quilt is called chocolate covered cherries. I made it for the book and I struggled with it through some of the design phases. Eventually I finished it, but didn't love it, mainly because I was not thrilled with the color combination. (Ironically, I had chosen that color scheme to match my living room.) I waffled back and forth for weeks on whether or not I should remake it. I knew I didn't want to include a quilt in the book that I didn't LOVE. On the other hand, I had so much work to do, I didn't feel like I had time to redo it. 6 days before our quilts were due to ship, my husband said the fateful words "you know you aren't going to be happy unless you remake it." I argued that I didn't have time...the quilts were due to ship in less than a week. He reminded me that I had made more quilt in less time before. He was right. At that point I knew what I had to do. It was "game on" and I raced against the clock. I sewed like a mad woman for those few days. That quilt has a LOT of pieces! I still cooked and cared for my kids and slept a little bit, too. Did I mention that my husband was working out of town at this time? We joked that it was probably for the best. I was so wrapped up in my quilting and he was so wrapped up in his work project that we would have had more issues trying to get along if we were under the same roof at that time. :) I was able to finish the new version of the quilt (and finish another quilt) in 5 days. Thankfully I don't have to sustain that pace all the time. I recall my fingers being very, very sore. But in the end, it was well worth it. I'm thankful that my husband gently pushed and encouraged me to remake the quilt. What a difference it makes to have someone believe in you and stand behind you, helping you to do your very best. I'm so thankful to have him!
This is the new version, Candy Coated, which you might recognize from the cover. I remade it to match the color scheme that Cheryl and I had chosen for the book....pink, grey and red. It's a big improvement from the first version! I was happy to include this one in the book. :)

My little men (11 and 9) have been supportive, too. My 9 year old begged me for a signed copy of my book and was relentless until I gave him one. That night (and maybe a few nights in a row) he took it to bed and read it before he went to sleep. Isn't that so precious? That made my mama's heart melt, big time. He also asked me to come into his class for career day. I got to share with the 3rd graders about being a quilter and an author. It was quite fun to see their reaction when I told them that I started the book when they were in 1st grade. My son was very happy to have me there and enjoyed being my assistant. He's such a sweet boy!

My 11 year old took the book into his class for one of his share days and would have taken his favorite quilt, too, had I let him. He took some of my business cards and handed them out to his teachers and to the librarian as well. One of the paraprofessionals later told me how proud he was of his mama. Again, my mama's heart was melting. He got his very own signed copy of the book, too. The funny thing was that he critiqued what I wrote to him. He said it wasn't very original, but it was alright...he liked it anyway. I just had to laugh. He's sweet too, but with a little sass thrown in to keep me on my toes.

I think my dad is pretty proud of me, too, although he isn't the type to come out and say so. You have to read between the lines with him...and that's the way it's always been. I can tell by the amount of questions he asks about the book and how often he brings it up. He's pretty special. It just so happens that chocolate covered cherries are one of his favorite candies. Maybe I should give that quilt to him.

43 comments:

Rachel said...

Awesome support! Thanks for sharing it with us! Love that the boys want a copy!

Esch House Quilts said...

It is so sweet and wonderful that your boys want their own signed copy of the book! Sounds like all the men in your life are real "keepers" :)

Cheryl Arkison said...

We really are lucky. I'm going to have to introduce Nikolai to your boys one day so they can teach him right.

Sandy said...

Congrats. Keep those guys close, very close.

Oh my gosh I LOVE LOVE your chocolate covered cherries quilt. Of course, I love red in everything. The new one is pretty too but WOW the cherry quilt is a zinger.

THANKS

April said...

Your little men are so sweet. I don't know of a greater accomplishment than to have your own children proud of you. :)

Deb said...

You just warmed my heart. Thanks.

my happy bluebird said...

What a sweet post! I love all of your quilts -- and I think your Dad would love the "chocolate covered cherries" to snuggle under. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

what sweet boys you have in your life...all of them! You are very fortunate.
And I love both these quilts, but agree that the second one is better :) I love those colors!

Anonymous said...

This is probably my favorite post from you. I love it! Congrats on your book. It was so sweet to hear about your two loving your book and being proud of you!

Kigwit said...

Your boys are so sweet! I once made the mistake of making something for them and having Santa give it to them. But it wasn't from mama so they weren't too interested. I learned my lesson!

And I love the first chocolate covered cherries quilt. I think the colors are great. I like the second one too but I like the boldness of the first. Now I'm going to have to find a copy of your book!

Kigwit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kigwit said...

Your boys are so sweet! I once made the mistake of making something for my boys and having Santa give it to them. But it wasn't from mama so they weren't too interested. I learned my lesson!

And I love the first chocolate covered cherries quilt. I think the colors are great. I like the second one too but I like the boldness of the first. Now I'm going to have to find a copy of your book!

Lynn said...

It's great that you have good family support. My husband says similar things to me too. They can tell that we aren't happy with the results of something. They want us to be happy. Sometimes we need that encouragement to do what we think we need to do.

Both versions of the quilt are great but I do like the softness of the second one.

Elaine M said...

Great post today, what a lovely family. Love both your quilts. CCC is a punch of color, while CC is more inviting to snuggle under. I think your father would love CCC.

Cherie said...

So great to have support from the men in your life! Making quilts for family is a great feeling =D

Carla said...

Your boy sounds adorable : ) I love the book as you know and am loving doing the quilts from it. Happy stitching

Ariane said...

Oh I love the chocolate covered cherries quilt. Those are my colors!! Both versions are gorgeous!! It's amazing to have a supporting partner. You are so blessed that he knows you enough to share in your trials and help you through it!!

Anonymous said...

I hardly ever leave comments anywhere but I feel like I HAD to leave you a comment today! Even though I thought the first quilt was pretty but when I saw the second one, it was the absolute RIGHT CHOICE for you. I do love it, the softness of it. Thank goodness for your hubby, knowing exactly what you needed to do. Now, yes, you ought to give the first quilt to your dad. :o)

Bridgit said...

Maybe it's because I'm like your dad and adore chocolate coverd cherries, but I love that quilt. But more than the quilt, I too am grateful for supportive family. It's amazing how when we count our blessings, happiness seems so much easier to fins. Thanks for all the sharing you do, both quilting and life!

bethanndodd said...

You are one lucky lady.
Smiles~Beth

April (Polkadot Sparrow) said...

Both quilt versions are nice but I like how your second one pops more and goes with your book's theme--I'm glad you were crazy enough to try again. haha You should totally give chocolate cherries to your Dad!! Great idea.

Suzanne said...

It is truly the folks who surround me that support me--whether they be in my living room or accessible through my computer. You have gems in your life.

Marsha said...

Both of your quilts are lovely but I'm with some of the others who commented. I love the colors of the first, the Chocolate Covered Cherries. I think the boldness of the colors just sing or maybe Zing!

Kukliki said...

Your cherry quilt is just splendid - i spotted it immediately. This colour combination is so unusual and original. I love it!

Reading your posts give me more push to start writing my book that I keep in mind for few weeks now - not on quilts :)

Thanks for your blog!

Thimbleanna said...

I LOVE that Chocolate Covered Cherries quilt Crazy Mom -- It's gorgeous! You're your own worst critic LOL. What a fun post!

Anna said...

love this post amanda jean! I totally think the chocolate covered cherries quilt should go to your dad. and yay for the people who do support us!

Karen said...

I like that hubby supports you. It makes all the difference.
But your kids too, that is the icing on the cake.
I think it would be nice if you gave the quilt to your dad. Then listen for any comments.
Though maybe wait until it is cooler weather. Giving a quilt as a gift in this heat, people think you are nuts. Unless you are another quilter.

Becky said...

What a lovely post! Such sweet boys too. I think you should seriously consider giving that Chocolate Covered Cherries quilt to your Dad.

Laura said...

i don't normally comment:) but just wanted to let you know that chocolate covered cherries and the remake:)are very pretty quilts!!! so nice to have support from your family, thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the redo, not that the first one wasn't fabulous, too! But tell us, when on such short notice, did you tear the first one up to remake it or did you just start over?
loritfrench@comcast.net

Emma said...

Aww, that's so sweet! I really need my husband when it comes to quilting - I need him to tell me that it's OK that the seam is out by 0.5mm, and that it's OK if it goes wrong and I have to end up spending more. Love him a lot!

Beth said...

I love this post, so adorable that your boys are so proud of you. I love that the older one gave you a critique.
I love the cover quilt absolutely, but I think that Chocolate Covered Cherries is just as beautiful!!! I bet you Dad would love it. (Although he might not tell you, you will see it b y his favorite chair).

JenniferO said...

That's really funny. I actually like the first quilt much better, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Katherine said...

Love hearing the behind the scenes story in your creations and how supported you are by the men in your life. Both quilts are beautiful and I bet your Dad would love the quilt named after his favourite candies!

Kmekoko said...

Just started reading your blog a few weeks ago after picking up a quilt in the making for more than 6 years. I love your sweet, inspiring stories. Your little big men are so lucky to have you as a mom and I'm sure your father would be grateful for such a thoughtful gift-- a chocolate covered cherries quilt. Now that's sweet dreaming!

Wendy said...

What a beautiful post! That is what a family should like, working together and supportive.
Thank you!

amy smart said...

What a sweet post, Amanda Jean. You continue to inspire me - not just your 'quilting career' but your attitude towards your family. I'm grateful for it.

Also, glad to know I'm not the only one who would rather sew than do yard work. :)

Sarah said...

Yep, guys are just different that women! But I'm with you in thinking that your dad is proud of you :o) I'm betting he would love the quilt especially with the name being his favorite candy too! Sarah

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said...

Lovely post and you know I love this pattern as I made it in a red, white and blue version as a dog bed for Duke! As always, thanks for the inspiration!

evamarie said...

What an insight in your character and your lovely family, thank you!

mathea said...

I love your chocolate covered cherries quilt and I'm sure your dad will too!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I love this post. All the behind-the-scenes support is so helpful, and everyone's pride in your book just makes my heart swell too.

Mama Pea said...

I definitely think your dad needs that quilt!
I just realized blogger is accepting my word verification. Makes me wonder how many of my comments I thought got posted and didn't. Sorry.....