Thursday, September 22, 2011

fraternal twins

These two lovelies are made from the brand spankin' new Cabbages and Roses fabric from Moda. I believe that the fabric was officially released today. This fabric could. not. be. prettier! I started by cutting 9" squares (from a fat quarter, so there was virtually no waste) and then I made half square triangles. I didn't want to chop up the fabric any more, because I wanted to show off the lovely large prints. I debated long and hard on the layout, because with HST's there are so many possibilities! Too many, really. I was going to make one twin sized quilt, but in the end, I just couldn't shake the idea of separating the colors and making two quilts. So, two quilts it is!
For the back of the blue and green quilt I found this vintage fabric in my stash that had belonged to my Grandmother. I couldn't believe how well it coordinated with the front and I had just the right amount for the back. Serendipitous! I was giddy at this discovery. Ok, maybe was isn't the right word. Maybe I still am.
For the binding, I used a navy dot from the Children at Play line by Sarah Jane. (Yes, I am completely obsessed with these dots!) I love how the navy frames the quilt and pulls out the dark blues in the quilt top. You can't go wrong with dots on the binding! The navy is just so crisp and classic.
To quilt this one I made large loops following the diagonal lines in the quilt top. It went smoothly and quickly. The not-so-dense quilting coupled with the weight of the backing makes it a soft, smooshy and cozy quilt that will only get better with use.
For the back of the pink quilt I was going to use a cream sheet, but at the last minute I changed my mind and pieced the back. I used fabric that Cindy had so generously sent me this summer (thank you, Cindy!) and I worked the pieces like a puzzle until I came up with this layout. I love how it makes this an over the top girly girl quilt. The addition of the yellow is especially sweet, I thought.
For the binding, I chose this Denyse Schmidt dot. It's not a predictable choice for this style of quilt, but I like that unexpected twist. The red dots pull out the red accents in some of the florals, and the pinks don't match perfectly, but close enough, which I actually kind of like. The binding is a little bit sassy and it makes me smile.
To quilt it, I did an all over stipple. I thought about doing loops again, but I wanted to change the quilting and see what it did to the look of the quilt. I like the results of both quilting styles, really.
When I was debating layouts, as mentioned earlier, I really wanted to make one twin quilt, because it could be used either on a bed or as a lap quilt. But now that they are both finished, I'm so glad that I made two smaller quilts. There is something so special about a pair of quilts, you know?
Both quilts were finished in a jiffy thanks to my new found love of machine binding. Hurray for that!
Each quilt measures 48" x 64". 
I'd like to say a big thank you to my friend, April, for letting me use her clothesline for the photo shoot today.

54 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautiful and I love the stitching...great job! =)

CitricSugar said...

Great binding choices - pretty quilts!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I just love everything about these. They are perfect - great fabrics, great design and layout, great quilting and binding. What can I say? Perfect!

Amy H said...

Wow, you make quilting sound so easy. :-D Great job! I love them both.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

These are beautiful! I love them both, and the binding is very cute!

Sarah Craig said...

Those are both gorgeous! Great fabric choices, great design, and I love the bindings!! Thanks for sharing!!

AnnieK said...

Another two works of art!

Shannon Wallace said...

They are both beautiful, and I love that you are machine binding--makes me NOT feel lazy! ;) Thank you for sharing!

jlk said...

Those both look fantastic. Especially the binding :)

Jocelyn said...

wow oh wow so pretty!

Shauna said...

So beautiful! You always give me such neat ideas! Especially love the loops on the blue quilt.

Mary said...

Ooohhh...those are both so nice. I am working with darker fabrics the past few quilts and need a pick me up. So tempting....

Little Penpen said...

absolutely beautiful!!! those precious babies will love staying warm underneath your quilts!

Debbie said...

beautiful! I love your fabric choices, including those bindings!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Those are two beauties Amanda Jean! I will own some of that fabric one day!!

Thimbleanna said...

You rock CrazyMom! Those quilts are just adorable. I'm actually sitting here staring at my fat quarter pack of that fabric -- it's been sitting in the family room forever, in hopes that seeing it every day might give me some inspiration at to how to piece it. I LOVE what you did.

And, would you believe, the navy dot is the slowest seller of the Children that I have? I think that's SO funny 'cause I LOVE it. It's a hidden treasure!

Melissa said...

They are lovely! What lucky babies :)

BJ said...

Simply love them! Love your style! I wanna be just like you when I grow up! ...Oh...wait a minute! I think I am way older than you! But I am an infant quilter...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work, as always!

Freddie said...

Cute quilts. I love the fabrics.

Lisa H. said...

Wow, amazing! You've really been busy! I just love the fabric choices and I, too, love me some polka dots.

Linda said...

so pretty! You know me and the florals... always a favorite!

sonia said...

Beautiful twins! Congratulations!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Gorgeous quilts, great binding and that vintage fabric is beautiful!
I have to agree that machine binding is so much more appealing :)

Aimee said...

Beautiful quilts! I love them both!

Marla said...

I really really like these quilts and love the fabric. On sale today do you say? Hmmmmm!

Suzanne said...

Yahoo! I love that you are drawn to HSTs. I am still shy about them but the amazing things you do with them tempts me on a regular basis. As for the serendipity of the fabric, savor that giddiness as long as you can. You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

They both are great and I guess I'd say I like the pink one the best, although it's hard to choose.

Karen said...

Your "twins" are wonderful! The fabrics are SO pretty and I love the dots you used for binding!

Denice said...

I love the quilting on both quilts and am glad you allowed them each have their own personality! Will we never tire of polka dot binding? I think not!

audreypawdrey said...

I love how they turned out! The binding is perfect, too; I love a good polka dot. I may have to try machine binding again!

Char said...

So beautiful and nothing like dots for binding.

Kristin said...

I love how the two quilts look individually and as a pair.

Rhonda said...

LOVE both quilts and the fabrics you used - so fun! That's neat to have two distinct ones. And I really like this idea of machine-sewn binding - I'm going to have to try that. :) Thanks for sharing!

Deb said...

Beautiful quilts - love them both!

eva said...

lovely ....
as always..
i like the quilting variation,
xo
eva

TJM said...

Very pretty!

Miranda said...

Both quilts are fantastic! I think I like it better as two quilts. I can't really imagine the pink and blue together in one quilt. I would have separated them too :) Great job all around!!

Anonymous said...

I love them both great job and yes I agree they look better as two small quilts instead of one.

April said...

They're both beautiful! I have fraternal twins, and I would love to do something like this for them! And I also love the polka dot bindings.

Anonymous said...

OHHHHH! I love the colors and the prints! I want one! I really like the dots too! When I go back to work I am so going to go and get some of this fabric! For now, I will have to settle for making purses out of my stash! By the way, if any of you wonderful quilters have any unwanted books or magazines, please, remember our female veterans in the VA nursing centers and the lonely ladies at your local nursing home! Pass on the wonder and joy of "just dreaming of that someday quilt"!

Candy said...

Lots of fun! Especially fond of the quilting on the blue (new to me!) and the way the dotted pink binding brings the quilt into a whole different era. Love it.
Candice

Jeanne said...

Both quilts are lovely!

Mama Pea said...

Nicely done. How do you do it all?! You amaze me. They are both beautiful!

Pamela said...

Really like your two quilts. The fabrics are very pretty. I am partial to dots, as well. Really like the navy one. I read about your machine attached binding and will have to try it again. The only time I did one, it came out looking terrible and I vowed I would never do it again. Now, I think I will. Thanks!

Miranda said...

I've already commented on your wonderful quilts but I wanted you to know that I have awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award! You can check it out on my blog:
http://thecraftbot.blogspot.com/2011/09/check-it-out.html

patty a. said...

Beautiful quilts! The striped fabric really makes the blue and green quilt sing!. The pink one is so girly girl cute!

Clair said...

They look lovely!

Amy said...

This would be perfect for my girl/boy twins. I may have to look into the fabric!

Dixie said...

LOVE the quilts!! I am sure you have explained it on here before, but I'd love to know how you did the machine binding!? Thanks!
Dixie

Live a Colorful Life said...

You have been doing a lot of squealing, smiling, etc., lately! I'm so happy you were able to put the pink fabrics to such good use. It's making me doing a lot of smiling too! Beautiful quilts.

Katherine said...

Oh, what a gorgeous set of twins! Beautiful work, Amanda Jean.

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Those are just adorable! I love the light and darkness factor too. Jenn

quirky granola girl said...

those 2 are so sweet. are you sending them off? or keeping them?