Friday, February 23, 2018

small projects

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
I made my first pincushion of the year! It's about time, no? I had 5 of the 6 sections pieced for months and then it got set aside. Yesterday I finally pieced the final section and finished it up. I got hung up on fabric placement, (and then distracted by 100 other things!) which is why it took me so long to finish it. Seems silly now, because I love how it turned out! It's scrap project #198. (Pattern can be found in Plenty of Pincushions, Volume 2.)
This week I finished my 10th block for my Mark Twain quilt. It's pretty exciting to see the pile growing! I have a low-key goal to make 5 blocks a month, so I'm about a week ahead of schedule. (I'm rarely ahead of schedule on ANYTHING, so I'll celebrate that miniscule victory. Ha!) I have been enjoying hand stitching so much!
I decided that this project needed a brand new WIP bag. (Pattern can be found here.) This version is extra large...it measures about 18" x 20"! I was happy to discover that it was very easy to upsize the pattern. (I have a post about sewing with vinyl and shortening zippers here, that you might find helpful.)
It's really hard to convey the size of the bag, so I took a photo of it on my 18" x 24" cutting mat for scale. It's HUGE! I look forward to filling it up with finished blocks!

If you have the Work In Progress Bag pattern and would like to make an 18" x 20" bag, here are the measurements you will need:
Use a 16" zipper.
Cut 1 piece of vinyl 2 1/2" x 18"
Cut 1 piece of vinyl 17" x 18".
Cut 1 piece of vinyl 18" x 20".
Cut 2 pieces of fabric 2" x 18" for the zipper casings
Cut 2 (or 3?) strips of fabric 2 1/4" x WOF for the binding
Zipper with tabs should measure 17 3/4".
Assemble the bag according to the pattern directions.

Alright! I think that's it for me today! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday! Have a great weekend!

11 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

I love the colors in your pincushion and the patchwork is just perfection. So fun!!! And that project bag is so handy at that size, another thing to add to my list to make ;)

Super Mom - No Cape! said...

Love all those hexies! I need to makes some of those project bags to organize my works-in-progress.

Thanks for sharing the link up again this week.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your bag and your 30's style hexies - I have a jelly roll of 30's to use but I'm burned out on hexies - one using diamond shaped like you show and another just finished on the hand quilting frame last night - and another finished top yesterday - two finishes for Friday

Sarah Craig said...

I adore that pin cushion - so much fun!!

Leanne Parsons said...

The pincushion is adorable :) You sure will be able to fit a lot of blocks in that WIP bag!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love the pincushion, so cute! The plastic bag is very tempting, I have some clear plastic here at home and I think I have a large enough zipper too. I'm seeing a bag in my future!

Tracie said...

I love this pincushion. I think it would be fun to turn it into a mini quilt or baby quilt.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Your very very small projects amaze me! The little pincushion is just gorgeous.

Teresa said...

Great pincushion and project bag. I went right over and bought the project bag pattern. thanks for your larger size dimensions.

anikenitet said...

C'est vraiment très joli ! Bonne soirée

Frieda said...

Love your hexies. Could you tell me what kind of scissors the aqua handled ones are? Thanks in advance