Friday, November 11, 2016

brushstrokes quilt complete

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
I managed to finish my brushstrokes quilt this week, which means that I'm back down to 10 WIPs. Hurray! I'm trying to keep that number down, even though I want to start ALL the things, ALL the time!
Loopy quilting was an easy and quick choice for this quilt. Since I quilted my last quilt with this same pattern, it was super easy--I was still in the groove! I made the loops nice and big so there is uniform quilting throughout the entire quilt. I did mark lines (with my wonderful hera marker) half way through each line of patchwork to keep me on track. It worked like a charm!
I've been enjoying using solids on the backs of my quilts lately. There is no repeat to line up (yay!) and the quilting is very visible. I love that! For this backing I used two different bright pinks from my stash (although they are so similar to one another that you really can't tell) along with a strip of leftover fabrics from the front. Making do with what you have on hand is always satisfying. At least it is to me. :)
I finished off the quilt with a gray good neighbors print for binding.
I love how it turned out! It measures about 56" x 72" and it's my 18th quilt finish for the year! This one will be headed to A Mother's Hope program.

Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thanks, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday!

29 comments:

Liz said...

Gorgeous! I also have a pack of Brushstrokes that I just don't know what to do with, as I love it so much.

I'm curious what thread you use for the quilting? It looks like a gray on the front, but on the back it also doesn't stand out even though your backing fabric is pink, and it adds lovely texture.

Amanda Jean said...

Hi Liz,

I quilted this with Auriful 50 weight (which is very thin) in the color 2600, which is the perfect silvery gray. It's my favorite thread/color to use because like you said, it doesn't stand out, even on a bright pink color.

I hope that helps!


AJ

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness. Whoever receives this quilt is going to be squealing with delight. It is gorgeous!!!

Tami Von Zalez said...

I so love the look of how you bring together your quilts, from the color choice, backing and binding.
I don't have finish this week am hoping for the Friday next.

Debbie said...

what beautiful color! Love the quilting too - just perfect!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the colors on your simple beautiful quilt

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love solid backings for quilts for how they show the quilting. Beautiful finish and congratulations for continuing to get your WIP list reduced. I made great headway on that this week, too! yay!

Bernie Kringel said...

Amanda, You are on a tear! Just fiinishing up WIPs like crazy. Here's to another cheery, colorful quilt. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt! I love it!!!

Unknown said...

Loving this, so colourful and bright!

Anika | anikamay.co.uk

Erin @ MakeitSew said...

So cute! I love colorful quilts.

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

It is simple and beautiful. Love the quilting!

Christine Slaughter said...

The quilting is so perfect! I love how the solid backing shows it off too. This is such a bright and cheery quilt; love it!

Angie in SoCal said...

Silvery Gray is one of my favorites. Works with many colors. Beautiful quilt!

Di~ said...

Man girl! the cuteness level here is really! high!!! Love it. I was curious how you would quilt it and now I see super lovely loops! I use a Hera too and love it! Thanks for all your talent and inspiration.

travelinsewl said...

beautiful, happy quilt! It will be a delight to the receiver.

Little Quiltsong said...

Absolutely love this quilt! Love the fabrics used!

doodlebugmom said...

love the colors!

Mary Marcotte said...

What a happy, beautiful quilt! Like everyone else, I love the mix of colors, but that quilting is what really pulls it all together!

Lyndsey said...

I always love your quilts as they are so happy and cheerful. Thisone is no exception and I love the quilting you did.

KaHolly said...

It's the perfect quilt for Mother's Hope! Bright, cheery, snuggle! Who could ask for anything more? XO

Suzanne said...

That extra bit of patchwork on the back is a fun surprise. I just started using a Hera marker. Do you find you have to push fairly hard?

JanetD said...

I love this quilt! Simply beautiful! And you make me feel better about myself- I'm constantly battling the urge to jump into a new project!! I've really focused on finishes this year as I have a whole list of projects I want to start in the new year!😀 Keeping a spread sheet and marking off each completion is so motivating and satisfying! This post lets me know I'm in good company!

Unknown said...

love it! So bright and cherry. Great quilting loopy pattern.

Needled Mom said...

That looks really nice. The loopy quilting is great.

ChezVies said...

beautiful quilt! Could you show how do you mark the loop? I really want to try this. Thank you!

Jen Shaffer said...

So bright and pretty! What a great finish!

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

So beautiful! Love it!

Sarah @ mila+cuatro said...

It looks fantastic!