Wednesday, April 29, 2015

trendy triangles...a work in progress

This is probably one of the trendiest quilts I will ever make. Normally I don't aspire to make trendy quilts, but sometimes it happens anyway. It all started with Cotton and Steel scraps that I received from Holly last June. I thought I was using them quickly, but it turns out I've had them for almost a year already! I guess that's still a quick turn around for me. Ha! :)
I decided to add low volume borders to each center triangle. I love how the centers sparkle! It's very interesting to see how much color there is, even in the scope of a low volume palette. I'm using Cheryl's Nap Like an Egyptian pattern from Sunday Morning Quilts. The strips are cut 2 1/2" wide.
I have a wide variety of colors for the centers to choose from. I'm not sure if I'm going to limit the color palette or not....but that's the fun of making quilts. I enjoy jumping right in and seeing where I end up!
 
I'm certain I will be adding more orange blocks...and those scissors! It was hard to cut into them, but they will make the quilt so much better! I'm always on the quest to stop stashing and start sewing. I THINK it's getting just a little bit easier! Now if I could just finish my WIPs a little bit faster, I'd be all set!

33 comments:

Di~ said...

I love this!

Carol Swift said...

I love this look and fabrics!

Kath said...

Even as small as those center triangles are, they just shine like little stars. Love it.

Suzanne said...

Lol...hard to cut the scissors fabric...how ironic, right? Now I'm Off to see the quilt in the book. I always enjoy your wips.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oh, I really love this! The centers really pop!

(I too wish I could finish my WIPs quicker too!)

Debbie said...

Very fun! I like where you're headed with this!!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

What a lovely use of leftover triangles!

Little Black Cat Quilting said...

I love those little pops of color! And that scissors fabric is adorable, I can see why it would be difficult to cut into it. :)

DonnaleeQ said...

Love this project, and such a great way to use up some of those scraps we all have.

DonnaleeQ.blogspot.com

Melody A. said...

This quilt is going to be beautiful!! I want to make one now. thank you for the great creativity.

tisha @ quiltytherapy said...

Your color choices are great. Can't wait to see how you quilt it and what you bind it with.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very modern looking - looks like a fairly easy quilt to make - now to see how you quilt it!

Unknown said...

I knew I was saving those little triangle scraps for a reason! What a great pattern. It could be a lot of fun playing around with different colors. Thanks for sharing this pattern.

Carolyn

Sarah Craig said...

Wow, this is cool!!

What Comes Next? said...

Love this!

monique's mess said...

A lovely quirky yet on trend way of sewing triangles, I am sure it will look fabulous - as always!

Aliceart said...

I have the same problem! Why is it so hard to cut up those favored fabrics? You'd think we'd be just itching to have at them! Love this quilt, so fun.

Betty said...

It's gorgeous!!

Lorna McMahon said...

I am a big fan of triangle quilts. And this quilt is incredible! Love those little pops of colour against the low volume sashing. It's beautiful!

Terri Ann @ ChildlikeFascination.com said...

Triangles and low volume, I don't care if it's trendy or not cause it's a great combination. Framing the triangles gives them beautiful breathing room in the design and I agree they just seem to sparkle in there!

Kelly Cline said...

Triangles are tough and that's such a great use of using scraps!

JanineMarie said...

I love how the color pops against the low volume on this quilt. I know everyone loves fast finishes, but it's okay to savor the journey, too! This quilt looks like a fun one for that.

DARIA DESIGNS said...

LOVE IT!

Susan said...

Love it! What a great idea!

Karen said...

Such teeny tiny triangles!! Love the color combo!

amy smart said...

This is so fabulous!!

Peta - SheQuiltsAlot said...

So great! I was feeling impressed that I'd finally started sewing all of my flying geese ears back together to make a quilt but this is amazingly awesome!

Janet said...

The bright color in the center is great. I like this pattern.

Mystic Quilter said...

I love this!!!

Corrie H. @ Mountain Stitches said...

Looks great! You have such a good eye!

Unknown said...

Great use of those little bits!

Julie Bagamary said...

What a great design.

Katherine said...

Yum. Always makes me giddy to see your fun scrappy ideas. New favourite to try. :o)