Wednesday, May 08, 2013

diamond pillow cover


First off, thanks for all the kind comments on our move and our new house! It's exciting and nervewracking all at once.
This pillow cover has been on my to-do list for a long time! I'm excited to finally have it finished. It will be headed to a friend who could use some cheering up. (Too bad I don't have a pillow form here to stuff inside for the photos!) I love the mix of springy solids-I used bits of a Robert Kaufman Kona pastel jelly roll-and ash grey solid from Connecting Threads. The design is my diamond pillow pattern.

An aside....I think the brick patio is going to make a regular appearance in the background of my photos. I LOVE it!
For the envelope back, I used scraps that Anna so generously shared with me. Thanks Anna! Yes, those were some pretty large scraps! I took a fair amount of time fiddling with the back pieces so they would look harmonious next to each other. They don't line up EXACTLY, but at least they don't jar the eye. That's all I can really ask for! I love that chevron print...so excited that I have still have more scraps to play with.
I love straight line quilting small projects like this! Thankfully the Juki behaved for this straight line quilting stint. It's fun to have so much texture in a little space. And it's really fun to have a finish!

19 comments:

Fran said...

Very cute pillow, hope it cheers your friend up!

Live a Colorful Life said...

So pretty with those pastel solids. This should definitely accomplish MUCH cheering up!

The Slow Quilter said...

Glad that you are all moved in to your new home. The pillow looks great love the solid colors and stitching.

Anonymous said...

looks great!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

That beauty should cheer someone up. Love the quilting.

charlotte said...

The pillow cover looks lovely and I know you will be so happy in your new home. I am sure you will fill it up with quilts.

Beth said...

Beautiful

Vicki said...

Love the grey background. It is definate a cheery pillow! Love the quilting.

Suzanne said...

That's definitely cheery! I love how the quilting in the center comes together like a labyrinth. It makes me want to trace my finger along the seam line. You are patient with skinny quilt lines.

Rachel said...

Beautiful! Love the bricks too!

bec said...

It's gorgeous! I used a bot of the same chevron yellow in a baby quilt, and the recipient wants matching accessories in it! Easy to sew with a yummy fabric!

kmodich said...

I realize you may not what to say what town you are living in now, but could you indicate if you will be doing classes or anything in the Duluth area???? Love the pillow too.

janequiltsslowly said...

Looking good. I got a little pack of these same Kona 2.5" squares on a shop hop hmmmm this pillow could be in my future. I really love the straight line quilting textures.

MellieWo said...

Very pretty! I love the yellow chevs and the gray with the straight line quilting. I'm starting to really love the small projects like pillows.
Congrats on the new place!

Jeneta said...

Gorgeous Amanda Jean! How have you managed to created such a beautiful thing when you are still settling in to a new house? I recently made a cushion cover that makes me beam every time I see it. A cushion like yours next to it would look super cute! Admittedly I'm not feeling very excited about cutting out 2.5" squares at the very moment (though I'd do it as an alternative to vacuuming!), but I do have some Cuzco and Central Park candy I could use...

JG said...

This pillow looks so nice with the straight line quilting!
~Judy

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Thanks for the reminder. I've wanted the pattern to make covers for our throw pillows on the couch. I could use a change. I do love the mega-pillows you made for your kids. Would you ever consider writing up a quick pattern for that one? I know my daughter would love one. Looks easy enough but I need written instructions on the zipper. :)

Anonymous said...

Love your pillow. Looks like you are settling in nicely.

Unknown said...

Awesome!