Friday, February 22, 2013

lazy zig zag

Welcome to finish it up Friday! Thank you for joining me each week as we work toward our finishes together! I appreciate all of your link ups and for the accountability that it brings. Boy, oh boy, do I need it!
I managed to finish my lazy zig zag quilt last night. I've wavered back and forth on how much I like this quilt. Now that it's complete, I've decided I'm pretty happy with it. The addition of the grey row (second from the top) helps immensely. There were times that I doubted the intensity of the dark grey (zig zag) fabric, but I do like the boldness of it. This was a fun way to use a layer cake! I added a few stash fabrics, too.
For the quilting I went with a simple stipple. Simple may not be the correct word. I hadn't stippled anything for quite some time (last September?) so I was rusty. It took about 3 bobbins to get in the groove, which was surprising and nerve wracking. (Must. stipple. more.) I used Essential thread (by Connecting Threads) in white. It's a 50 weight, 3 ply thread, so it is definitely on the thicker side. It ended up giving the quilt a nice texture yet it doesn't feel too "thready". I like how the quilting stands out on the dark grey pieces and blends in with the background pieces.
On the back I used a strip of flannel down the middle and two strips of regular quilting cotton down the sides. It is so nice to have a flannel backed quilt. I think I'm going to have to do that more often!

Since I didn't have enough of one aqua polka dot fabric in my stash (can you imagine???) for the binding, I used two different fabrics alternated them throughout. It was a lot more piecing than usual, so I used straight seams instead of mitered seams. I really like how the fabrics work together and I'm so happy that it turned out!
The quilt measures 56 1/2" x 70".

Do you have a finish to share this week? If so, please link up! Happpy Friday to you!

32 comments:

Megan said...

I love this quilt! It looks so good! I also love the binding and I think I'm going to use two different fabrics on the next quilt I bind!

Beth said...

Looks great! I really like that Posy fabric.

Dee said...

Wow! This needs to be featured in a magazine! Love, love, love the colors!

Thanks for hosting!

Geta Grama said...

I love how the black strips fracture the design, it's a beautiful quilt. I like using straight seams on binding too.

beth said...

Another great quilt!

Jessica said...

Thanks for hosting, AmandaJean~
I love this quilt.. makes me want to play around with monochrome stripes too. Congrats on the finish.

Katherine said...

Oh, this is such a sweet quilt! You do have the most clever ideas, my friend. I'm just going to scroll back up and stare at it a little more. ;o) Ahhh... it's just so Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Love how both the grey and the aqua binding make this quilt pop!

2ne said...

Love your quilt :-)

Rachel said...

Absolutely fabulous!!

Frances Meredith said...

I think the dark grey zig-zag makes this quilt. It looks fabulous. Thanks for keeping us all on our toes with our finishes!

Andy said...

I was just considering using fleece on a quilt back, which I've done before- but I like the flannel idea instead. I agree about the grey row. Great quilt (as always)!
--Andy

Heather Cartwright said...

That black zig zag is a real pop. Great finish!

KristaKay said...

All I have to say is that you are amazing! Love your blog. :)

Aoife said...

Your quilt turned out really well! I really like the dark zig-zag on top of the more muted pastels. :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Love your finished quilt and agree the grey row makes it!

Jocelyn said...

Looking forward to the tutorial on this quilt. I really like how you used the colors.

Glinda ♥ said...

What a striking quilt ... loving the pink. Thank you for the link up - I too needed the accountability this week :)

tahoe34 said...

Can't wait for the tutorial or pattern, whichever comes first! Another beautiful Friday finish, Amanda Jean. I love Fridays, I can't wait to get home from work and browse all the fun finishes from Friday. Such terrific inspiration!

gladrox said...

Thanks for hosting Finish Up Fridays. I really love getting the motivation from all the participants! I'm always amazed at how much you accomplish in your busy life. Thanks for sharing!

Aliceart said...

Love this quilt! So pretty, and smart.

The Slow Quilter said...

That is a great finish, love what you did with the backing, it looks warm. This was a great finish Friday for you. Zig, Zag on Girl.

Jeneta said...

Flannel is a great idea - I'm yet to try it. I'm sure I have some flannel somewhere...

Maria said...

Your quilt looks wonderful!

Barb said...

great fresh quilt - love those black zig zags.

Michele said...

Absolutely great finish. Love the design and the binding is perfect.

pinsandneedles said...

Your stippling is beautiful. Love the scrappy binding. Ahh...a lovely finish!

Luv2Create said...

I like this quilt!

I have a suggestion... I could see hills and valleys in some places but not everywhere. Then I realized that if you had dark/light pairs with the the darks on the left and lights on the right you would have hills and valleys throughout. It might give the quilt some interesting movement.

Samantha said...

Such a lovely quilt! I just ordered some charm packs and can't wait for them to come home to me :)

Anonymous said...

I love everything about this quilt! The black strips adds pizzazz and the 2-fabric binding is absolutely brilliant. Looking forward to a pattern.

KatyK said...

Love the quilt - my grandson has requested a zigzag quilt and this is the perfect pattern. Will you be having a tutorial soon?
thanks for sharing

Kathy b said...

love the blog and your quilts! you mention the connecting threads thread, have you tried their fabric?