Thursday, September 20, 2018

workshop totes

My friend Jeni hosted a workshop sew along a few weeks ago and I waited until the very last day (in my usual fashion!) to join in. The workshop tote pattern (available here) is straightforward and fun to sew, with a few different options. You can use one fabric, as I did here. You can also use patchwork squares or half-square triangles. (Directions are included in the pattern for all three.) I LOVED making this tote. I gave it to my sister for her birthday a few weeks ago. She plans to use it for her trips to the library with her boys. Hurray for useful gifts!
I have a few workshop totes that I love and use, too. This one was made by my friend Cindy. She used this fun focus fabric for the exterior. (I believe it's called sewing woes by Alexander Henry). It's so funny and perfect for this bag.
She didn't have enough of the focus fabric, so she used some solid colored charm squares to fill in the sides. Isn't that perfect? I love how it turned out and how making do can be a benefit at times.
Here is a half-square triangle version that my friend brianne made for me last summer. I love the black and white paired with the hot pink and orange lining. It's a great combination of her taste and mine. I have used this tote quite a bit and it's holding up quite nicely. It's such a fabulous size for many different uses.

One of my favorite features of this bag is the top stitching on the sides to give the totes structure. Genius! I also love how different each bag looks based on the fabric selection. The possibilities are endless!

7 comments:

kuestensocke said...

One bag more beautiful than the other! You are a good multiplier - I bought the pattern directly ;-)
I will sew a bag of jeans for my husband, it will be Christmas soon! Kind Regards Kuestensocke

KaHolly said...

Top stitching those edges IS genius! Must give it a try. Love those bags!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Your version looks so beachy-fun! And the patchwork-on-the-side version is brilliant!

Anita said...

Yes, that first bag shown holds lots of library books. It's also been useful for toting groceries and other things around. It's both cute and handy.

Megan Flynn - Papercraft Artist said...

Wow great bags, totally love them, thank you for sharing

Mary Marcotte said...

I love seeing a project in different colorways and fabrics. These bags are all fun and useful--great combination!

farmhousequilter8 said...

I love these too. Paula in KY