Monday, September 17, 2018

retreat gifts, part 2

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas for "happies" in the last post. It was fun to read your comments. I've added a few new ideas to my list!
 
Of course pincushions are the number one on my list of things to make for retreat gifts. I have a few batches of them to share today!
In early August, I attended another annual quilt retreat with some of my quilting friends. I've been a part of that group for a few years now, so I'm finally catching on to each of their personal tastes. (It takes me awhile!) This year I made a paper pieced pineapple pincushion for each of them in colors that I thought they would like. (The pattern is in Plenty of Pincushions, Volume 1, which is available here.) Lots more assembly line sewing, but once I hunkered down, it wasn't so bad.
Each of the pincushions were heavily quilted, so I piggy backed them through my machine during the quilting process and it went pretty quick! Again, I love seeing multiple items grouped all together.  
A few weeks ago I was playing in my sewing room and I came across the scrap vortex blocks that I started on the 100 day project. I didn't do so well on the 100 day challenge, but that's ok! I turned a bunch of the blocks into pincushions in one afternoon. It was nice that the patchwork had already been made! I added a tab to each pincushion to "up" the cuteness factor.
I took these to a retreat that I taught at over the weekend and I let each student pick one of their choice. It's so fun to share things like this with other quilters and to release the pincushions out into the world as little bits of happy. It never gets old!
-----
Here is a rundown of my pincushion method in a nutshell (no pun intended!):

Each pincushion top is a little bit of patchwork that has been quilted onto a batting scrap. The backings are quilting cotton interfaced with SF 101 for a bit of extra stability. They are filled with crushed walnut shells, which is sold in pet stores as lizard litter. I hand stitch the openings closed with invisible nylon thread, so the stitches aren't visible.

I find that this combination produces a lovely finish for a pincushion. (I think it's safe to say that I've done sufficient testing. Hahaha!)
-----
Happy Monday to you!

16 comments:

Laura said...

Love your pincushions. The scrappy ones are my favorite.

Marie said...

I have to admit they are pretty freaking adorable! I went to my local pet store and asked for lizard litter a couple of years ago ... the clerk (a kid) .. says "you have a lizzard" ... and I replied yep, it's name is Bernina ... score one for a middle aged sewer!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Cute pincushions! Never too many of them ;))

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These are cute little pincushions! Thank you for sharing these tips!

Kay said...

'Release the pincushions out into the world', I love that line, it makes them sound like pets. x

KaHolly said...

Always love seeing your sweet pincushions!

Siggy Bee said...

Your pincushions are wonderful! Such a little square of happiness. I also loved your zippered pouches. There is nothing in the world that I love to sew more than a zippered pouch! The blue with scissors design was over the top. Thanks for sharing...

Elizabeth said...

Love your very cute pincuhions. I need to try making some.

hlop3 said...

These are absolutely adorable!!! Now I'm showing my ignorance, what is SF?

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I really like that--"I added a tab to up the cuteness factor"!!!

Electric | Journal said...

Pincushions are my favorite little thing to make from scraps, too... I even use leftover quilt blocks to make them. They always sell out at our annual Christmas bazaar. I'm going to check out your 100 Day project and pieced scrappy tiny blocks. I love to use up those small bits of favorite fabrics! Thanks for sharing these, and also your adorable zipper pouches.

Sherry said...

I love the little tabs. I bought some colorful tape measures off of Ebay (cheap), but they're NOT accurate. They looked 'off' but it took me several days to realize what the hell was wrong. What they call 1 inch is actually an inch and a quarter. I've put them in a separate container so I don't accidentally grab them for measuring anything. But they'd be perfect for this.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Yes, Amanda. You've only made eleventy billion!! MIGHT have figured out the pin cushion process by now. :o))

Kathy C said...

Marie - I love you comment to the clerk! Mine's nickname is Bernie ;-)

Pam said...

OMG! So cute!

Christinec said...

So dang cute. You inspired me last year with these. I too have a bunch, handy little boogers. One by the iron, one at the cutting table, cuteness everywhere. Thanks for the inspire. I'll think about the retreat idea.