Friday, May 04, 2018

June 2-a completed quilt

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

I worked very hard this week to finish up this quilt! I started it last summer when I hosted my June quilt QAL. I basted it about a month ago. I started quilting it on Tuesday and worked on it for the better part of 3 days to quilt and bind it. I'm so pleased that it's finally complete! It's such a happy quilt, isn't it?
While the quilt top assembly didn't take too long, figuring out a quilting plan did. I finally decided to treat a few of the elements separately. I did loop-de-loops in the pieced sashing. I quilted the diagonals in one direction continuously, but I had to start and stop for the diagonals in the other direction. There were a A LOT of knots to bury on this quilt! (I use the tutorial here.)
I used a walking foot to do some concentric square quilting in the polka dot blocks. That took a lot longer than I bargained for. More knots to bury! I estimated that it took me about 6 hours to quilt JUST the center 18 squares. I think it took me at least 10 hours to quilt this entire quilt. That's crazy! This quilt isn't that big. I'm happy to say that the quilting turned out better than I imagined, so it was totally worth it....sore shoulders and all. :)
For the backing, I used this cute typewriter keys print and added borders on all 4 sides to frame it so it would be centered. I LOVE this combination! I'm also pleased that it all came from my stash.
The binding is a tiny gingham that was printed on the bias. It's from the line Cottontail Cottage by Bunny Hill Designs for Moda. I love how it frames the quilt. Gingham binding is almost always a good idea!
The quilt measures about 51" x 68".
 
The links to the June QAL can be found here:
 
 
The original pattern for the June quilt (85" square) can be found in my book No Scrap Left Behind. Isn't it fun to see the same pattern in a different color option? That, to me, never gets old.
 
Alright! That's it for me today. Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday! Have a great weekend!
 
 
 
 

28 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

It is so very Happy!!! I love the red polka dot paired with the aqua cornerstones and low volume sashing, just fantastic!!!

Brooke said...

You share the best projects!
So inspirational!

brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

Oh... the quilt is beautiful!

Alison V. said...

I love love love this quilt! I keep going back and forth between which of the quilts from your book to make next and this quilt may have cemented my final decision! :D

Mari said...

Great finish! I love those polka dots and you're right, the gingham binding is perfect. Well worth all the time it took!

Nicole said...

Nothing beats a finish, especially a fun and cheerful quilt!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It is a cheery quilt and beautifully quilted! Red and aqua is a great combination. Now you've made me realise I haven't used gingham for quite a while and it does make brilliant binding!!

Leanne Parsons said...

It is a very happy quilt! And it's always fun to see the same quilt in different fabrics. It's amazing how different they can be. Great work on the quilting too!

Sandy said...

Just love those red polka dots! The quilt really pops. Great finish!

Di~ said...

Oh my goodness!, yes, a happy awesome quilt! I love it. Your completion reminds me that I never got started! haha I will tho' someday! My daughter is moving to my town! soooo that means we will burn it up in the sewing room together!

One Wee Bird said...

Ohh I just love this, I have two or three quilts done in this colourway for my little girl and I just never tire of it....this pattern is on my to do list and I love how patterns can change so dramatically with different colour choices....that's why we keep making I think!

grammajudyb said...

I fell in love with the June quilt with the green polka dots. Now I am swooning over the red and white bigger dots. Which to do, which to do?? Probably, I'll end up with the darker, brighter sashing since that is mostly my stash. Both of yours are wonderful!

farmhousequilter8 said...

I love this quilt. If I did cheddar polka dots what color would you suggest for the other color? I also have plenty of cream prints for the other part. Thanks for answering me. Paula in KY

charlotte said...

I love seeing quilts in different colorways. That was one thing I always loved and marveled at when I took a class to make a specific quilt. Everyone saw it differently. Both of yours are great.

Anonymous said...

That last photo of the finished quilt - LOVE IT.
There's something about polka dots...

dq said...

Oh do I just love those red polka dots! This quilt is so adorable.

Mary Marcotte said...

I love how you find the greatest combinations. Fabrics I wouldn't think to put together just amaze me when I see them in your quilts. I participated in your QAL and had so much fun that I started another quilt. Now if I could just work on my own projects so I could see it finished. I can tell that I'm going to love it, too, and I haven't gotten very far. Thanks for sharing another colorway of your pattern.

Miss Alissa said...

That is a super fun color combination!

Linda Swanekamp said...

The neutrals make it a lovely quilt! Such a happy quilt!

anikenitet said...

Very gorgeous !! i love it !

Pamela Arbour said...

It's amazing how different a quilt can look with different fabrics. I love the brightness of it. It doesn't even look like a scrap quilt!

ShirleyC said...

That's incredible! I love the colors too. I could never hold out to do all of that quilting.

Unknown said...

Such a happy quilt. Made me smile just to look at it. Thanks for sharing.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Gorgeous! Yes, I love to remake quilt patterns in different colours. I knew I'd seen this pattern before (I have your book) - this is another awesome version. Well done for using stash fabrics for it all.

Sandy Panagos said...

It IS a fun quilt. Ten hours of quilting is kind of crazy. I guess you don't call your blog Crazy Mom Quilts for no reason.

Unknown said...

Love your quilt! I'm planning on making it myself. I'm busy gathering my scraps. Have you considered trying Ruler Quilting on your DSM? It would have made the quilting in your squares much quicker. No marking and no turning your quilt constantly. Just move your ruler and sew in the next direction! I highly recommend Westalee Rulers by Sewsteady.

KaHolly said...

Looks great in both colorways! Congrats on your finish!

Arlette said...

This Quilt is gorgeous, I really love the colours, the dots, the quilting, and the binding. It's just WOW.
Kind regards