Friday, April 13, 2018

a traditional log cabin quilt-complete!!!

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

Today I am THRILLED to share with you my completed log cabin quilt!
I started this quilt back in May of 2016 and I'm delighted that it took me less than 2 years to complete it. Truth be told, most of the blocks were made earlier this year in a marathon quilt making session. It was a little intense. Hahaha!
I made it a point to use some of my most precious fabrics in this quilt. I used a lot of fabrics from Denyse Schmidt, some from Heather Ross, Carolyn Friedlander, and soooo many other great designers. I also mixed in some of my own designs from each of my fabric lines. (That was pretty fun, I have to admit!) I added a lot of blenders and several 30's reproduction fabrics, too. I LOVED using such a large variety of prints in one quilt. The more the better!
It looks SO good on my bed! EEEP!
I quilted it with simple loops all over with white Aurifil 50 weight thread. I love the texture it created....and it hasn't even been washed yet! It took a LONG time to quilt!!! Days and days. I'm really glad that I quilted it myself, though. There is such a feeling of accomplishment quilting a KING size quilt, even if the quilting isn't perfect.
My original plan for the binding was to use red and white polka dots. That's my default, it seems. I didn't have any appropriate options on hand, so I chose this springy apple green polka dot instead. I LOVE the pop of color on the outside of the quilt. It worked out so well....plus, it was in my stash, which means I could make the binding at 9pm. We all know that is important! :)
I love the front of the quilt, but the fun fact is, that it's actually two quilts in one, because I pieced a back from my stash. I used a stack of fabrics that I had bundled together YEARS ago, thinking it would make a cute quilt...you know, someday. Well, after some editing (adding AND subtracting), I have ANOTHER quilt. That's good use of my batting dollar. Hurray!
I LOVE that this block says "Cookies". That will be sure to make me smile every time I see it. Quirky and fun.
On the back I used some of my vintage fabric (the two florals shown) that came from my grandma's house. It was a little thin, but I really wanted to use it. Realizing that the quilt will only be as strong as the weakest fabric, I added some Pellon SF101 to the back of the thin fabrics to stabilize them. They should withstand a lot of wear now. I'm so glad I thought of that solution sooner rather than later. (Which would be typical!)
I think the back turned out even better than I imagined it would. I LOVE it when that happens.
I labeled the quilt nearly right away, so it's REALLY done! After all that work, I am very happy to put my name on this quilt! I opted for a hand written label because it feels more personal. I like having a bit of my handwriting on the quilt label, even if it's not super polished.
The quilt measures 108" x 99". AND....it's scrap project #202!!!! That means that I've officially wrapped up my second round of my 101 scrap challenge. WOOHOO!!! That feels amazing!
All together this quilt used about 12.1 yards of scraps for the front, nearly 10 yards of fabric for the back, and about 3/4 of a yard for binding, which means that this quilt contains nearly 23 yards of fabric. How CRAZY is that???? It weights nearly 9 pounds. This one heavy duty quilt!
You can find the measurements here, if you care to make one of your own!
 
Alright! That's it for me today! Now it's your turn. Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday! Have a great (and safe!) weekend! xo
 
 
 

58 comments:

Alison V. said...

This is so much fun! And yay for double sided quilts!

Melissa Corry said...

Wow, Wow, and triple Wow!!!! What an amazing finish!!! I love the scrappy log cabins and all of the wonderful colors and prints. But then to make a scrappy back as well, love it!!! And how special for it to be the 202 scrappy finish. What a treasure ;)

Mari said...

It's so pretty! Very bright and perfect for spring. I love the binding, too. Genius to make it reversible. Congratulations on a great finish!

Chris said...

That quilt is gorgeous! I love that you pieced the back as well, and that both sides make such bold statements.

grammajudyb said...

Log cabin blocks are my favorites. I love this quilt! It's got a great quilt story too. The back is just as awesome as the front!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Amanda,
The log cabin pattern is one of the very first quilts I ever made, and I wasn't a fan of mine. But seeing yours and how beautiful it turned out, I might be able to let my 30 years aversion go and try making one again. I cannot believe you quilted a KING size quilt yourself. WOWEE! I just sent out my queen sized Postcard because I thought it was too big to do. You are SO INSPIRING! Thank you!
~smile~ Roseanne

Emily said...

That is beautiful! I hope to make a log cabin quilt someday... maybe not QUITE that big, though. :)
Congratulations on your finish!

Tracie @ Riceford Streams said...

Wow, that is an amazing quilt! I love that it’s reversible. I’ll see you in Northfield tomorrow if the storm doesn’t keep us home.

Sandy said...

Your quilt if absolutely gorgeous -- all that hard work paid off!

Tami Von Zalez said...

As usual, I have fallen in love with one of your creations. I have a fondness for the log cabin block since it was my first bed-sized quilt. I didn't know quite what I was doing so eventually I will be making one similar to yours.
I didn't link up this week but hopefully next to showcase my Seed Packet Quilt sending to mom for Mother's Day.

Di~ said...

Wow girl! This is just amazing! You go!

Susan said...

Love the bright colors in this 'traditional' log cabin!

Allison said...

It's beautiful!!!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Love love love your bright log cabin. And - bonus! - both sides are gorgeous :D I love how the green binding really pops with both sides. Win win! Amanda, you are a big part of why I came to love quilting :D

BunkHouseQuilts said...

I love the top and the back, what a huge project and it's just beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.

Frog Quilter said...

Love your log cabin quilt. It is truly my favorite block as it uses everything! Beautiful!!!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

What an absolutely wonderful quilt. I especially love your handwritten label x

Lyndsey said...

I'm usually not a log cabin fan, but I love yours! I like to piece backs, but I've never made the back into its own feature quilt. Pretty genius!

JanineMarie said...

Two-in-one quilts are the best! I love the colors of your log cabin, but what’s most amazing in this post is your tip about the weight of a quilt like this. Good to know!

Raewyn said...

Beautiful finish! I love that the back works so well. And both sides look amazing on your bed.

Leslie Frost said...

Gorgeous! And how wonderful to use Somme of your G’ma’s fabric on the 2nd side. Smart to interface it first.

Charlotte M. said...

Both sides are beautiful. What a great idea to make two quilts in one. I might have to steal that idea.

Sherrill said...

It is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! LOVE the bright colors..I would leave the log cabin side up all the time!! LOL

Karen @runsewfun said...

Wow! Traditional sure is pretty in scrappy, bright colors! Love the fact that you quilted it yourself - well done! Also love the 2-sided, saved on batting thoughts. Great idea to back the weaker fabrics. I'm going to make a note of that - and hopefully remember I have that note when I need it! Super finish. Congrats!

Tove Marie Bach said...

SO SO SO beautiful :-)

Julia Mac said...

Wow, what a great project, so many beautiful details. A real Festival for the Eyes, Heart and Soul. Thank you for sharing x

KaHolly said...

It’s amazing! Well done! I think the quilting is perfect.

http://blackeyedsewsan.wordpress.com/ said...

LOVE this creation! Thanks for adding the part about stabilizing the vintage fabric! I use a lot of them & will keep that tucked in a lil corner of my brain. Susan R

Linda said...

I hate to repeat what everyone else has said but that is one absolutely beautiful quilt. And the back. - spot on.

Minnesota. - yet another snow storm. Been a long winter.

Heide said...

WOW!! This is such an amazing quilt. Fantastic work...front and back.

Momma Llama said...

Your Log Cabin quilt is gorgeous. A perfect blend of bright fabrics with the variety of low volume whites and cream. Oh My!! Love the choice for the binding! Dots, stripes and geometric prints always add interest to a quilt. Quilting simple loops is one of my "go to's" for quilting. Simple yet interesting. The Log Cabin quilt pattern will be one that I will be teaching in my classes Jan 2019 and I will refer everyone to your post to see your finished quilt. Donna Weeks aka Momma Llama

Anonymous said...

I love log cabins and yours is so colorful and happy. I wish I could machine quilt. There are just some designs that are best if machine quilted.......and log cabin is one of those. BEAUTIFUL job. I only hand quilt so my finishes are at best every 2 months. I envy your talent.

vincenzo126 said...

I love log cabin quilts! Yours is gorgeous! My first quilt was a king log cabin that I also quilted by myself. Could you provide some direction for your simple loops quilting, please Amanda? Thank you.
-Jean 💟

Little Penpen said...

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. Both sides!! I love that you are getting the most out of your batting.... great idea! I just finished a baby quilt, that I love the backing fabric way more than the pieced top. :-)

Pamela Arbour said...

What a wonderful and inspiring post! I like both sides of your quilt. What a surprise to see such contrasting colors on the back. Love it. Thanks for sharing all the photos and comments.

EYSchmitt said...

This quilt is exquisitely beautiful and interesting to boot. My question is what kind of batting did you use? I am currently making a pieced backing with lots of seams and don't want the resulting quilt to be impossibly thick since the front of the quilt has many seams also. Did you use a thinner batting? Thanks!

Marianne in MD said...

What wonderful fabric memories you have sewn into the Log Cabin Quilt! It's a treasure!

I'd love to know (and others might be interested, too) how you calculate the yardage used for scraps. A blog post on it, maybe, please??

Michelle H said...

😳😳😳 that is frigging awesome!!!

Unknown said...

I can only imagine how excited and proud you must be to finish this incredible quilt. On a scale of 1 - 10 I give it a 100 :) Truly awesome.

Jean said...

I am a huge log cabin fan, and I have enjoyed following this one from the start. Congratulations on a brightly beautiful finish! I'm inspired to get sewing.

Quilter Kathy said...

A spectacular finish! What a terrific quilt!
Congratulations!

Svetlana said...

oh wow!!!! This quilt is absolutely amazing!!! Well done, as always :)

Dolly said...

Congrats on a MOST TRADITIONAL quilt, very well done !

That is ALOT of quilting, and I am in AWE of you for doing it ! You must have SOME muscles now ! Ha !

And that back was a total surprise to me ! I love to piece my backs, but don't know that I've ever managed to get such a different looking quilt for the reverse. I'll have to think about doing that. So versatile, and like you said, a wonderful value for the price of the batting, not to mention all that quilting !

Holly said...

I love it--both front and back!

Carole said...

Your quilt is amazing. And I love the back too. You should be very proud.

Pattie D said...

I was anxious to see this one done! I have loved your block share. I guess I am a sucker for traditional. Special that is 202! And can you believe the yardage? Look what we throw away! I will be sharing this tidbit with my daughters who think I am super silly for saving my scraps! :O LOL!

Thanks for your continued inspiration!

---"Love" said...

That log cabin quilt is absolutely beautiful, front and back! So bright and cheerful! ---"Love"

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Great idea for the back!!!! I was just trying to decide on a back for my Happy Scrappy quilt - I have plenty of the fabric and can do the same and it will look great! Love your Log Cabin quilt - I want to make another one!

ChezVies said...

WOW ..I really love the pieced backing!!

oldlady quilter said...

Awesome! I love the pieced backing also and the quilting is fab! How wide is your binding? And looks to be hand sewn to the back, wonderful!

Melanie said...

What an amazing finish! The gazillion pieces and then the double sided effect... Enjoy :)

beth s said...

You did it again. :) Inspiration is your specialty!

Danice G said...

What a gorgeous quilt, and I also love your label. Both sides of the quilt are equally beautiful. So cheerful and bright.

Kate B said...

Spectacular!! Love that green binding :)

Gemini Jen NZ said...

It's fantastic! What a gorgeous way to showcase your talents - and I love that it is two-sided, so clever; I am going to do that for a quilt (someday!) The green binding is nice and fresh.

Phyllis said...

Adore your logcabin quilt, fabulous!

LeslieWms said...

I agree with all the comments -- Wow! This is by far my favorite quilt . . . and you've shown us a lot over the months and years. Congratulations on a job well done! I'm starting today to gather and add to my stash of low volume fabrics. This is going to be my next quilt project. Thank you so much for all the work you do to inspire. Blessings on your sweet little head.

Sandy Panagos said...

That is so beautiful. And fun! The green dotted fabric is perfect, and yes, the hand-written label was a must!