Friday, April 06, 2018

type clutch

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

I'm pretty excited about this week's finish! I've wanted to make a hard framed clutch for a LONG time, but they have always intimidated me. Last week when I was teaching in North Carolina, I saw Lee's clutches in person and I knew that it was time. I chose to use fabric (rather than patchwork) for my first attempt. I'm so glad I did! It was a quick and mostly easy project.
 I used some hoarded fabric for the exterior (isn't it so cute???)....
....and more hoarded fabric for the inside, which is from the same line, incidentally. (Fabrics are Type by Julia Rothman for Windham fabrics.)

The hardest part of this project was gluing the fabric into the frame. Truthfully, it really wasn't that hard, it was a just a personal hang up. Something about gluing fabric makes me a little (or a lot) nervous. The good thing is, the glue overage that I had was able to be removed easily after it dried. Phew! This particular frame has screws to secure the fabric into the frame to add stability to the clutch. I'm thankful for that feature, because I want this clutch to hold up for a long time!
When I showed this to my son last night, he exclaimed, "you made THAT?" Yep, I sure did! I love that the hard frame gives it such a professional finish. Fun, fun!

The pattern is called Clutched and it is available here. The frames can be purchase here or here. The frame size is 8 x 3. There is a smaller sized pattern called Cased, which can be found here. It uses the same size frame, it is just a shorter version of the Clutched pattern.

That's it for me today! Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday! Have a great weekend! xo


24 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I LOVE your clutch! I tried making one before, but it was smaller and difficult for me to handle. Yours looks great!

Super Mom - No Cape! said...

I love that clutch! I've made lots of the sew-in frame purses but I've never made one that was glued in.

Thanks so much for hosting the link party each week. There's always so much to inspire.

Mari said...

A beautiful little finish! I can see why you hoarded that fabric. The aqua makes it look so happy. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I like how this clutch turned out. And the fabric is perfect!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Amanda,
What a fabulous clutch! I am thrilled to see you made one - it has been on my bucket list of sorts, but it looks scary. The screws to keep the fabric secure sounds like a key feature. And your fabric!! It is just THE best. It amazes me how creative people are when designing fabrics and patterns. Happy Friday!
~smile~ Roseanne

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh that is just adorable - I love both fabrics

grammajudyb said...

Cute! Your fabric is "to die for"!

Kay said...

This is gorgeous!! I have both of these fabrics tucked away too. x

Bernie Kringel said...

You MADE that?? So awesome - you did a great job, it looks really professional. Have a great weekend!

Sandy said...

This clutch is adorable! I love your choice of fabrics :)

Sara said...

That is just too cute! Love the fabric choices!

KaHolly said...

Very nice! I’ve made one small one and loved it. It made a great gift.

Tami Von Zalez said...

The fabric in the clutch is the best!

Linked up - thank you for hosting.

Jenny said...

I really appreciate you hosting your Finish it up Friday link-up. Sometimes I have a finish, and other times not. BUt I always enjoy settling down with a coffee and seeing what other people have done, so much talent and so many ideas. And your projects are always amazing too

katybee said...

I've been hoarding that same fabric! This clutch is so cute, I might just have to get that fabric out.

Kathleen said...

Love that fabric... I have a quilt to show soon with it!

Liz said...

As always, super cute!

Unknown said...

This turned out great! We really enjoyed your presentation at the guild meeting! Casey and I hated that we were not able to take the class. We hope you'll come back sometime!

Kim & Casey Johnson

Paige said...

Your plain fabric one is nice, but I bet you have a scrappy one planned and can't wait to see it too! Thank you for hosting!

Liz said...

This is so cute!! I have the same hoarded fabric. Hmmmmmm........

Miaismine said...

Congratulations on such a pretty and professional looking finish! That clutch is so cute and the fabric is fun!

Teri said...

Ok, I have started making scrappy churndash blocks (big and small). Can’t wait till you show us what to do with them😀. I am taking a break from piecing my 5th, yes 5th, scrap vortex quilt. Seems all my quilting obsessions somehow involve you😏. I love everything you make!

Anonymous said...

Adorable! Love the fabric choices...

Rene' said...

I adore your clutch!! I have one that Lee made for me that I love, and I have wanted to try and make one too but have been too scared. I have the hardware so maybe I will give it a go. Love the fabrics that you chose for the inside and out.