Tuesday, January 23, 2018

quilting with a tiara

No, I haven't traded in my trusty stocking hat for a jeweled crown...I'm trying out a sit down long arm machine. (hahaha!) This Baby Lock Tiara belongs to a friend's sister. It was just sitting in storage, so it came to live with me for awhile instead. I've had the machine for a month or two, but I've been hesitant to use it. I tried it out at my friend's house last spring, but I had a lot of trouble with thread breakage. I'm sure you all know how frustrating that is! Last evening I finally took a few minutes to read the manual and thread the machine. I did some playing on a test sandwich and it went very well! I was expecting to have to mess with the thread tension for a few days, so I was pleasantly surprised. Almost giddy!
This morning I was eager to try quilting a real quilt, so basted this one (pieced by my friend Nancy) and got to work right away. My stipple is a little bit rusty, but other than that, it's smooth sailing. The throat is 16" deep and it has a nice large table to support the weight of the quilt. The table that holds the machine is significantly lower that what I'm used to, and it's more ergonomically correct. That means it's easier on my shoulders and back. All good things! This is also good news for my WIP pile! :)

I've updated my website with my upcoming events for the year. You can check them out here. The next few events are in Minneapolis, which is almost local for me! I'll be teaching Spin Class-Make Your Quilts Your Own on Friday, February 2, 2018. You can register here, if you care to. I'll also be doing two trunk shows that weekend. If you live in the area, I'd love to see you there!

I hope your week is off to a great start!

23 comments:

karen said...

Oh, you lucky woman! Have fun while the machine is visiting!

SamanthaK said...

How exciting to be able to give the Tiara a good test run, even better that it is in your own environment. I hope you are able to share with us your thoughts of it once you have used it for a while. I've been curious about them.

As always, I enjoy reading about your latest projects and tips. Thank you for sharing.

leanne said...

I saw the title of your post and just had to come over to see the photo of you sewing with a tiara on your head - ha ! Have fun with the sit down - sounds fabulous :)

stitchinpenny said...

I have a Tiara and love it. If you use the machine often you may want to invest in a tension gauge and track the bobbin tension carefully. It has almost eliminated tension frustration for me. The biggest issue i have now is remembering to write down the thread combinations and the bobbin tension that works.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I hope you have a lot of fun while you have this machine on load. Working more ergonomically correct makes a HUGE difference; I'm curious if you will choose to try to modify how your domestic sewing machine sits and works as a result or just be interested in upgrading more permanently. :)

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Very cool to have this for working with - will suppress my jealousy - enjoy it!

Chris said...

Oh, what a treat! Enjoy!

mangozz said...

You are so lucky to be able to use this machine in your own home. What a good friend you have.

Melissa Corry said...

So fun and exciting and wonderful for your back and shoulders :)

pennylanequilts said...

I have a similar machine that has been sitting, unused for almost a year. I confess to being a little intimidated by it. Once I get practicing every day, I get enthusiastic again. You've inspired me to get back at it. Enjoy!

Tracybug Creative said...

That looks like loads of fun! Look at you branching out a bit!

KaHolly said...

Oh, I wish I had an acquaintance with a quilting machine just sitting in storage! Lucky you! Have lots of fun!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Enjoy the loaner. Best of luck with quilting up a whole pie of UFO!!

Sewhobby said...

I have a Tiara also and just did and almost king sized quilt before Christmas. Although it was pretty big, it was indeed manageable. It's always a nice sense of accomplishment when I can get one done start to finish myself. Enjoy that machine. Has it found a new home?

Jeri said...

I finally gave in and let my husband buy me a Baby Lock Coronet back in August. It's still in the box lol, I must admit that I am afraid of it. But I'm finally ready to get it put together "5' frame. But now it seems like something always comes up every weekend so we don't have time to get on it. Maybe it's a sign lol.
Jeri

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm sure you know that this is the same machine that belongs to Karen E., our Central Florida MQG pres. Her husband actually gifted it to her when she was a newbie quilter, so she had to learn to use it! Karen invited me over and I even got to try it for myself. I liked it! That long throat space is great, isn't it? Curious... did you use it without the stitch regulator? I think I would, if I owned it. How did you like the larger table space for your hands? Nice, huh? I'm just a little bit jealous of you getting to use one for a while. I think that would be the best way to try out a sit-down quilting machine. With no obligation to buy.

Cathy Melancon said...

I had to chuckle at the title of the post "quilting with a tiara"! I could just picture you with a tiara on your head while quilting!!! 😂

I am jealous you get to play with this machine! I dream of having a sit down long arm! 16" throat sounds divine!! Can't wait to see your completed quilt!! Good luck!!

Di~ said...

Awesome. Question: Do you face the machine? you have taken the picture from the "end", is that the way you sit to quilt???

Rebecca Grace said...

Good for you, Amanda! I think your stippling looks great. It's gonna be tough to give up that machine when your friend wants it back again!

Mary Marcotte said...

Rebecca said exactly what I was thinking. Of course, you could get one of your own when this one is ready to go home. In the meantime have a blast playing. (What great friends you have!)

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Amanda,
I was on the fence between a sit-down mid-arm and the Elna I ended up with. I would so love to have gotten both . . . I hope you are enjoying the heck out of it while it visits. ~smile~ Roseanne

Suzanne said...

Wow! I hope it is loads of fun to try out and that you can really attack your WIP piles with this tiara.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

You don't have a tiara? LOL Everyone should have one.